IGNORED

What do you do with el cheapo golf balls?

Note: This thread is 5480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the last nine months, friends and family have been gifting me with golf balls. Wilson Ultras, Ram, Intech, Dunlop, etc.

What do you guys do with golf balls that you wouldn't buy yourself? Shag them in the backyard? Play them? Drive them in the lake?

I have dozens and dozens of balls that are brand new, and I prefer Titleist, Bridgestone, Callaway, and Nike balls (the Quest for the Perfect ball for me).

Just curious . . . I can't be the only guy here with bunches of balls that I wouldn't game.

Thanks,

Steve

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

use them on practice rounds. save the good balls for tournaments that you might play in. Also you can use them for practicing whatever in your backyard.

if you want consistency in your game, and would like to find good performance, use balls that you have a lot of, are still pretty good, and don't cost that much. For example pinnacle gold's. Try some other balls out, and in the mean time you can still use the crappers :)

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I live next door to one of the two golf courses in our town, and there is constantly balls being hit in my yard. I'll walk along the road and pick up 5-20 balls every time I go out. Sometimes I'll get luck and come up with some better ball, but the majority of the time, its just shag balls.

I always just use the cheapo's for anything. Lake, yard practice, etc...

In my Nexos Bag

Burner Driver 9.5*
Burner fairway 3 wood
755 Irons Tri Spec S Shafts 585 19* Hybrid w/ Aldilia NV S Shaft 3DX 23* Hybrid Tour 58* wedge CG 12 56* Wedge NCX-Ray Alpha Putter

They may be cheap, but they are still better than range balls. After I hit several range balls, I'll pull a few cheap ones from my bag to hit with the driver and long irons.

Driver:  the search continues
Fairway Wood:  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex  (on order)
Wedges:  685BX black 56*      Putter:  Wilson Staff 8882 

save em, use them on tee shots in scrambles. Never can have enough golf balls.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

re-gift them to someone else...

LOL

I didn't think about that. I will try them out. After a few months here on the forum, I guess I have become jaded about golf balls . . . I think I will try them.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

Just like prior posts.....use them on practice rounds and let them reimind you how much you like you favorite balls.....and why.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

im a mid hcp and some days ill run through some balls... lose them in the water... in the deep rough... woods... etc etc... not meaning to be offensive or anything but youre a 25 hcp... i'd use the crap balls on holes where you tend to lose balls more often... its better than losing a good ball... heck having too many balls you havent even hit yet is a good problem
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Ahh.... that's why I'm a scrooge and don't like the whole idea of gifts................ Haha...

Anyway. I haven't come up with an answer myself, but I have come up with some ideas over time:

--Sell them (ebay craigslist), Try to return them, Re-gift them ------- depending who you are, this may not be an option

--Let friends use them. (ie... the other day my friend realized he only had 3 balls and he was probably going to lose him, so I let him have a sleeve of some cheaper ones I had in the car)

--Keep them in your bag to hit on the range just incase the last range ball is a duff!

--Use them try test out very risky shots on the course where they'll likely get lost.

--After a bad tee shot, tee up a cheap ball and hit another one and just leave it alone (i walk... so if you drive this might not make as much sense.)

--If you play at twilight pop out a sleeve and just leave a trail and don't worry about looking for your ball, just estimate where you hit it and drop a new one.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

My family and I normally dont show up early and put and chip around or hit the range. So i use some trash balls on the first 2 holes or until I'm feeling good. Dont wanna lose some good balls on the "practice holes"

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Drive them in the lake.. Tee off from my parents dock and have about 400 yds or more to hit towards

im a mid hcp and some days ill run through some balls... lose them in the water... in the deep rough... woods... etc etc... not meaning to be offensive or anything but youre a 25 hcp... i'd use the crap balls on holes where you tend to lose balls more often... its better than losing a good ball... heck having too many balls you havent even hit yet is a good problem

the weird thing about this as that based on my personal experience I lose TONS of crap balls in these holes. BUT!!! I don't lose too many good balls on these holes.

I think my mind loses focus because playing a crap ball is almost like giving up before you start... not having faith in yourself and whatnot. in theory i completely agree.... but it got so bad I just stopped playing crap balls and stopped losing tons of balls at the same time. I guess something can be said for caring about your equipment :)

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I go back to my old High School (I'm only 24 and live 10 mins away still) and donate them to the golf team. It wasn't the best neighborhood and had very few golfers. I was the best golfer at about an 8 hdcp at the time and the second best golfer never broke 100 on 18. They use them for anything from playing matches to short game shag balls. Figure they get better use out of them then I do.

OG Hoofer bag
Titleist 905R 9.5°, Grapite Design YS-6+ (S)
Callaway Warbird 4 wood, Grafalloy ProLaunch 65S
Ping ISI-s: JZ Cushin Regular flex, white dot
Titleist Vokey Design 54° "AW", Cleveland 588 60° "LW", Ping IWI Craz-E

Home Course: Falcon Dunes, Luke AFB, AZ

I just hit the crap balls off the first tee on my way home. I would rather use my regular ball for practice rounds instead of those rocks.

« Keith »

I give them to buddies who are starting out and make lots of friends for it.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

save em, use them on tee shots in scrambles. Never can have enough golf balls.

That is what I do. I won't even look for a tee shot in a scramble if it isn't in the fairway.

If you're feeling generous...

This is a great idea for the excess balls we all have!! Never thought of that.

I give them to buddies who are starting out and make lots of friends for it.

I have done this quite a bit before as well. I once gave a friend a bag of about 50 old balls that I had so he could get started playing and wouldn't have to spend extra money knowing he was just going to lose them.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Note: This thread is 5480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!