IGNORED

Furrowed Bunkers at The Memorial

jeffgladchun
Note: This thread is 6522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you in favor of furrowed bunkers?

• Yes! Bunkers are too easy for pros.
    • No! Let the pros go low.
    • What are bunkers?

i think they have someone follow groups around that you don't see on tv's and make sure that the bunker is the way it was b/f someone hit into it.

That's right. They were saying that there are members of the grounds crew stationed around the course to re-rake the bunkers after the caddies. Because the rakes and the technique is new to the caddies, the organizers wanted to make sure that everything was fair and uniform from bunker to bunker.

• Administrator
That's right. They were saying that there are members of the grounds crew stationed around the course to re-rake the bunkers after the caddies. Because the rakes and the technique is new to the caddies, the organizers wanted to make sure that everything was fair and uniform from bunker to bunker.

Caddies get to rake greenside bunkers, but they're subject to inspection and re-raking.

And no, they're not using plastic rakes. The wooden ones are still out there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read a golf tip some time ago (written by Fred Couples, I think), the point of which was to learn confidence in playing sand so you could use bunkers to control distance and avoid trouble on long approach shots when long grass or water hazards are placed around greens.

At Memorial is there any rule or logic to the direction of the furrows ...do they run parallel to the probable ball flight or perpendicular?

Are the fairway and greenside bunkers raked in the same patterns?

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

At Memorial is there any rule or logic to the direction of the furrows ...do they run parallel to the probable ball flight or perpendicular?

From what I've seen and read here in Columbus, the bunkers are all raked perpendicular to the line of play.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Yesterday it looked like they were raked parallel to the line of play to me, and one of the ESPN announcers made a comment alluding to a last minute change from perpendicular to parallel, but I wasn't paying super close attention.

With the sand being wet and heavy with today's rain, the furrows should be especially challenging if someone was to draw a settled lie in them. Thats how it should be. Or, better yet, they should play them like one of the golf teams we play, where the bunkers go completely unraked, and you draw the lie that you draw, whether its a footprint, divot or anything else.

Driver: Square Two Power Circle TI, stiff graphite
5-Wood: Orlimar Trimetal 19*, stiff graphite
Irons: Taylor Made RAC OS 3-PW, regular flex steel
Wedges: 52* Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl, 56* Callaway Forged wedge, vintage finish
Putter: Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel Newport BeachBalls: Callaway...

.... I'm a little surprised with all of the "hub bub" that's been going on about it ....

These players are pro's, they get paid BIG money for their playing ability -- so play and quite whining.!

If they want to whine .. send them 100 miles east and let them play at Salt Fork -- that will change their attitude ..l.o.l...

Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

• Administrator
I just wrote up another thought I had as a new article . Give it a read and comment there (or here).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think its a great idea...i mean it protects from ruining great course designs by making them longer for example Augusta, I mean 475 yard par 4's is a little much for me. I bet if the bunkers were raked at augusta the same as at the memorial we would see higher scores then a 7400yard lengthened course provides. So if tournament organisers, USGA, PGA etc want to toughen courses, then I think this is the best way to go.

As you can see from the memorial, these bunkers provide a severe penalty so it shows just how much golf has turned into a power game with the emphasis on accuracy and shot making dissapearing. It now provides a challenge to the players on par 5's especially to play a well played lay-up to stay clear of teh bunkers for an easy up and down for birdie.

Just my thoughts guys!
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 905R V2 75GM X-STIFF
3 Wood: Titleist 906F2 V2 92GM X-STIFF
Irons: Titleist 735 CM Rifle Flighted 6.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 250.08, SM56.14, SM60.08Putter: Odyssey XG #1Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Yesterday, I noticed Sean O' Hair playing out of a greenside bunker where the furrows were deep and clearly visible, but where his ball had landed appeared to have been raked smooth from a previous player landing there.

I think its a great idea...i mean it protects from ruining great course designs by making them longer for example Augusta, I mean 475 yard par 4's is a little much for me.

I think rough should be tall and fairways should be narrow with water hazards and trees from 280 -320, or doglegs would have thick vegetation on the long side and high trees on the short side.

The ability to hit long is fine if accuracy comes into play.

• 3 weeks later...
I remember a couple of years ago, there was a tie at Doral I don't remember the players. But and after they played their approach shots on 18 the crowds ran through the bumkers to get a better position. Then when they went to the 18th again for aplayoff one of the players hit his tee shot into a big foot print in the fairway bunker. He played the shot, (the shot he wanted, I'm sure) without a complaint. That's the way it outta be.

Note: This thread is 6522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!