IGNORED

new clubs

fendermallot
Note: This thread is 5458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

since my game isn't that good, should I bother trying to talk the wife into "new to me" clubs? or just stick with what I have? My neighbor fixed a lot of things I was doing wrong with my swing, so I've started striking the ball better, I just need more practice.

any thoughts for a poor guy? =D

A Work in Progress:

Bag: Physics Stand Bag (ebay dirt cheap special)
Driver: Knight GTi Tour 285 10*
3 Wood: r7 ST 15*5 Wood: "The Perfect Club" 21* rescueHybrids: None... yetIrons: Burner Super Steel 3-9Wedges: Burner Super Steel PW, AW, SWPutter: BlackJack 206Ball: NXT or ProV-1 (used)

Looks to me like you've got an assortment of clubs you found all over the place, and put them together. What's that, like 5 different brands of irons total? I'd suggest, since you're probably to new to really tell much of a difference between clubs, to get a nice used set off eBay. Nothing extravagant, maybe an old set of pings or some other game improvement type iron. You could probably find an entire set of good, used clubs for a couple hundred bucks. Sure, you still need practice but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors with a mix-matched set like that.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

a potpourri of clubs...lol. ebay or craigslist my friend. you're bound to find something in your budget.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

The issue is that, as someone beginning, it's very important to have properly fitting clubs. I don't believe you can get your body to reproduce the motions necessary for a good shot if you don't have clubs that will reward a good swing with a good shot.

That having been said, they don't have to be new. There are plenty of 2-year-old club models that will be just fine for you. But I don't think the random assortment you have at the moment will do.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just went to some garage sales with my kid, picked up a 3-5 Nike Forged irons for $20... not bad.

I'll work on the complete set, but I'm not in a hurry. I hardly get to play as it is. Our extra money goes to paying bills. Occasionally there's some left over for me to goof off with.

A Work in Progress:

3 Wood: r7 ST 15*5 Wood: "The Perfect Club" 21* rescueHybrids: None... yetIrons: Burner Super Steel 3-9Wedges: Burner Super Steel PW, AW, SWPutter: BlackJack 206Ball: NXT or ProV-1 (used)

PING....anything PING. work to find a set of used ping I 5's. go with a 4-pw set and add hybrids to complete the set.

In the bag:
Driver = Clevleand Hi-bore xls stiff
3 mtl = Cleveland launcher titanium - stiff 65 g Adilia
hy brid = Cleveland Hi-bore 19* / 22*
irons = Ping I 5 4 - pwwedges = 52* = Cleveland CG 10 56* 60*putter = 2 ball . mid length

I'd love to get pings, but it's a money issue with me. Gotta have money to take the darn kids to the doctor almost every week, so my hobbies take a back seat. That and I don't make much money. Wife is a stay at home mommy.

Things have a funny way of working out though.

oh, does anyone know anything about "copies" of clubs... ping copies, etc? I was at a garage sale today where a guy had some ping copies he wanted to much money for, but I was curious if it's worth spending money on clubs that give you most to all of the benefits of the name brand.

A Work in Progress:

I think any set of cheap (as in <$100) will make your game more enjoyable just for the fact that you have a consistent set of clubs. The different clubs that you have probably vary in length, loft, lie, offset, swing weight, which requires you to make way too many adjustments to hit each club properly. If you take the time and look around, I bet you can find a pretty good set of used irons for less than $100. Good luck.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

I started getting back into playing a few months back and was using the clubs I had since I was 17. Decided to start from scratch with my clubs and went out and got everything all new, all the best (you know what I mean). I mean everything from the clubs to the bag to the shoes, everything. Had to bite the bullet on the cost but it feels like it did the first time I started playing, like I am hooked all over again. Clubs are expensive, but you deserve it bro. You can figure out a way to sell the wife.

Good luck
Driver: R9 460
3 Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 3D
Hybrid: Rapture 24
Irons: X-22's 4-AW
Wedges: X Forged 58/10Putter: Black Series Tour Design #2 (Righty)Balls: Pro V1x Penta TP

I started getting back into playing a few months back and was using the clubs I had since I was 17. Decided to start from scratch with my clubs and went out and got everything all new, all the best (you know what I mean). I mean everything from the clubs to the bag to the shoes, everything. Had to bite the bullet on the cost but it feels like it did the first time I started playing, like I am hooked all over again. Clubs are expensive, but you deserve it bro. You can figure out a way

Hell, no one told me we could sell the wife . . . maybe better than trading her for a boat!

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

Hell, no one told me we could sell the wife . . . maybe better than trading her for a boat!

LOL that's great. That was better info than I intended.
Driver: R9 460
3 Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 3D
Hybrid: Rapture 24
Irons: X-22's 4-AW
Wedges: X Forged 58/10Putter: Black Series Tour Design #2 (Righty)Balls: Pro V1x Penta TP

oh lord, I gotta make sure she doesn't see this. my couch is uncofortable! If only I had something that was valuable I could sell...

A Work in Progress:

If only I had something that was valuable I could sell...

You could always sell one of your kidneys – probably be able to get a set of Miura irons with that kind of wholesale.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

I just went to some garage sales with my kid, picked up a 3-5 Nike Forged irons for $20... not bad.

I'd love to get pings, but it's a money issue with me. Gotta have money to take the darn kids to the doctor almost every week, so my hobbies take a back seat. That and I don't make much money. Wife is a stay at home mommy.

Sounds like you have your priorities in order. When you have kids, your hobbies end up at the end of the list. I’m very new to the game but I needed two sets of clubs. I got a set of used Pings at an incredible price and a set of clone Callaways. As it turns out, I hit better with the clones than the Pings. Enjoy your family, then enjoy your golf, even if it’s with clone clubs.

Ok, so I sold some books to the local book store, and went out garage saling again. I picked up the new clubs you can see below. They're all in awesome condition. They're not a major name brand, but having matching clubs, as everyone has said, will be a huge help. Not bad for $20.

are Tour Craft a clone of another club? Or just Wal-mart specials?

A Work in Progress:

I think any set of cheap (as in <$100) will make your game more enjoyable just for the fact that you have a consistent set of clubs. The different clubs that you have probably vary in length, loft, lie, offset, swing weight, which requires you to make way too many adjustments to hit each club properly. If you take the time and look around, I bet you can find a pretty good set of used irons for less than $100. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly. I applaud your ability to govern your spending, I sure cannot control my wallet once I start looking at golf gear.

I would look for an older set of quality clubs, namely a COMPLETE set 3-pw or whatever. Im playing older titleist dci 962 irons right now, I looked them up for fun a couple weeks ago and saw a set go for $100 on ebay. They play AMAZING, I haven't found a reason to replace them yet. You can find good deals on older models on ebay and craigslist.

TaylorMade Tour Burner 08 9.5
Adams Tight Lies Strong 3
Titleist DCI962 3-PW
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Ping Anser 50th Anniversary

Note: This thread is 5458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!