IGNORED

Pushing the ball

Note: This thread is 5603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I have been hooking the ball lately and then i read my arms and upper body were probably going faster than my lower half. So today at the range concentrated on moving my hips first then my upper body which work out good, no more pulls. But i would seem to push the ball to the right more. Is this a matter of my hips coming through to fast? any advice here would help

Also i hit wedge to 7 iron really well probably the best par of my game. But 6 iron to 4 iron is just awful, mis hits, pulls, slices you name it, it happens. But i hit my driver good, at worst with a slight slice but nothing major. Any tips to make my long iron game better?

thanks for all advice

Since you are firing your hips through now, you probably are not getting the clubface closed enough and that is causing the push.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since you are firing your hips through now, you probably are not getting the clubface closed enough and that is causing the push.

most probably this

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

too step of a back swing will cause a push, if you work on flattening out the back swing this will help because a flatter back swing will allow you to bring the club more to the inside rather then over the top on the down swing. hope this helps.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Agree with the steep backswing diagnosis. When the pushes show up, I usually can fix it by a better backswing, making sure to keep the club well extended and low going back and firming up the lower body. If your swing hits all the right spots (good plane, club stays above the hands and in front of your chest, etc., I'm not sure you can turn your hips too quickly (as long as you stay in balance.) If your club is trapped behind you, then yes, you push it or you find a way to "hands it" over the top.

RC

Hold on there guys....I've read club face not square, too upright, coming over the top etc. Those are faults that will cause a fade/slice, not a push, which is a shot that starts right of the intended target line and stays mostly straight. So to the OP, can you clarify for us exactly what result you're getting on these shots? Is the ball starting on line and moving right, or is it starting right of your intended line and staying there? Trust me, those are two completely separate issues with different causes.

That said....my most common miss is a straight up push (no fade at all). It usually happens when I get too flat on the backswing and my upper body cannot catch up with my lower on the downswing. The club attacks too much from the inside and the ball starts well right of my intended line.

-C

ITB:
905R Proforce V2
SS03 Fujikura Tour Platform
MD 21 Irod
MD 25 Fujikura Tour PlatformKZG Forged Blades 5-PW Rifle 5.5 Vokey SM 54/08, 60/04 Rifle Spinner Kombi 35"

thanks again guys

It is a push, it starts to the right of my target line but is a straight shot

Hold on there guys....I've read club face not square, too upright, coming over the top etc. Those are faults that will cause a fade/slice, not a push, which is a shot that starts right of the intended target line and stays mostly straight. So to the OP, can you clarify for us exactly what result you're getting on these shots? Is the ball starting on line and moving right, or is it starting right of your intended line and staying there? Trust me, those are two completely separate issues with different causes.

This is correct.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

The more hip turn you get the more you need to exaggerate the clubface turn...almost like you are trying to hit it with the toe. If you don't get it turned you will hit the ball from the inside and it will be a dead push. It happens to me quite a bit. I always heard that a push is almost perfect contact.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 5603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!