IGNORED

Wedges...?

Dr_Fu_Manchu
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just a matter of bending them or do you need to get them cut down too, if need be? sorry, I am a total novice on this....I have been playing with hand me down everything.

i got my wedges fitted a little while back and alot better than if i just played them off the shelf.

If I hit it right, it's a slice. If I hit it left, it's a hook. If I hit it straight, it's a miracle.

You need to have them fitted for shaft flex, just like your irons. You also have the option of having custom sole grinds to accomodate your swing profile.
Driver - Kenneth Smith 460 Classic Grafalloy Blue
Woods - Kenneth Smith 3 & 5 Woods Grafalloy Blue
Irons - Kansas City KC-102 Musclebacks Harrison Professional Shafts
Wedges - Kansas City 56* & 60* KCM-Grinds Harrison Professional Shafts
Putter - Kansas City Prototype

Get them fitted for sure. NO question about it. I just got a brand new (in shrink wrap) set of Cleveland 588's fitted last week and the gap wedge was 1 degree weak. Not to mention, if you need different length/lie/grips. Do you want all wedges the same length, or 1/4" difference between them, or the lob and sand the same, but the gap 1/4" over. Why not get the most important scoring clubs (other than putter) fitted? Makes no sense.

You need to have them fitted for shaft flex, just like your irons. You also have the option of having custom sole grinds to accomodate your swing profile.

Apparently not, the guy at golfsmith said there is no need to get 56*, etc fitted....he actually made me feel foolish for asking

i think a beginner/high-handicapper/average golfer can buy a wedge right off the shelf without getting "fitted" with no problem. hell, i learned how to play with womens clubs and never took a lesson until i was about 20 years old (i started when i was 13). i know a lot of people say getting EVERY one of your clubs "fitted" and taking lessons is a MUST, but doesnt anyone learn to play on their own anymore? of course doing all that is the best way to go about it, but its not always affordable for some either. i think wedges off the shelf are fine for the average golfer

I'm in a similar situation, my new fitted clubs are coming in tomorrow I hope but they stop at AW. I will most likely need a new SW as my instructor will most likely press for, but for now I will use an older one that isn't a uniflex shaft. Also, I don't have the money for a fitted/quality lefty SW atm.

I don't even know how to respond to the guy from Golfsmith. Suffice is to say that their main business function is distributing equipment, not fitting golf clubs. Although they do try.

Apparently not, the guy at golfsmith said there is no need to get 56*, etc fitted....he actually made me feel foolish for asking

I would argue that wedges, more than any other club, need to be fitted! Most modern wedges come with a stock shaft that is simply labeled as a "Wedge Flex". Do you know what this means?

So-called "Wedge Flex" shafts stared appearing a few years ago, and are shafts that didn't meet the weight or flex tolerances of better shafts, and were thrown in wedges to save $$$ rather than disposing of them. I've seen some wedge flex shafts on a deflection board go from R300 range to X100 range. The first thing you need to do when getting new wedges is rip those crappy, inconsistent shafts out! Wedges today come in so many loft and bounce combinations that it really helps to get fitted by a pro or someone who knows what they are talking about. Too little bounce and the wedge digs into the turf, too little and it may bounce off the ground, leading to thin shots. Moral of the story - GET FITTED FOR YOUR WEDGES!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I don't even know how to respond to the guy from Golfsmith. Suffice is to say that their main business function is distributing equipment, not fitting golf clubs. Although they do try.

I've found that the best way to respond to anything that comes out of someone's mouth from Golfsmith is with a sucker-punch.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Good idea Bunkerputt!

Any golf shop employee who makes you feel foolish needs to be reminded that he is not Tiger and that you are paying him. If you want your freaking ball retriever fitted, then the jackass should offer to regrip it for you. My local golfshop is great, the guy genuinely cares about golf and makes me feel like he cares about my game.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!