IGNORED

the worst golfer ever

wedge player
Note: This thread is 5451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A buddy invited a guy we work with the other day who has very very little experience in golf. He was using my friends clubs and on about the 3rd hole got mad when he missed a putt and stuck the end of the putter into the green as hard as he could leaving a nice groove into the green. Took everything within me to not (politely) explain to him the etiquette's of golf. Needless to say, he is not invited back.

you SHOULD have said something... the guy needs to know that that type shit will NOT be tolerated on the course!

I'll throw in a quick story. He's not the worst, but certainly the worst I have ever played with, including myself. But he's a friend of my wife's family and a great guy. Here's a little taste:

people who play out a hole like that should be tarred and feathered, IF they are holding people up...

I just gotta say, this thread is why it's difficult to find guys to play with at my course... I just started playing golf in February, and so far my best 18-round is a 135 (on a 132-slope course)... but I'd hate to hold anyone back, or worse, get mocked because I wiff a few or have trouble getting it into the air sometimes. I try to keep a good attitude out there, even after a 4-put or the 3rd attempt out of a bunker, but some guys take it *way* too seriously and show obvious frustration that my play is affecting their attempt to break 110.

well, there's a proper way for beginers to play, and yes, we've all been there.

1) keep pace 2) use ettiquette 3) keep pace 4) did I mention, keep pace just hit a tee ball, an approach or two, a chip and a few putts... don't be afraid to grab that grounder that dribbled half way to the red tees and drop it out at the 150 to hit an approach shot.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

2. Stop playing a course with a 132 slope!

I know I know! It was a comp'd round for an account I manage at work, normally goes for 3 bills or so, how could I turn it down?!?!?!

It was still an amazingly fun day...

Driver = Dymo2 10.5*
3W = Sumo2 15*
Hyb= G10 18*
3-PW = G10 Graphite
SW = SV Tour Black 56*/10LW = Aspire 60*Putter = XG TeronBag = Clip-Lok Stand BagBall = Zip

people who play out a hole like that should be tarred and feathered, IF they are holding people up...

There was nobody behind us, or we would have definitely told him to pick up. We were actually the last group let out that morning because they had an outing scheduled in the afternoon. Otherwise I totally agree. We finished the round in just over 4 hours, plenty of time before the outing started.

I know I know! It was a comp'd round for an account I manage at work, normally goes for 3 bills or so, how could I turn it down?!?!?!

DANG! Pebble? Sea Island? Had to be top notch to be $300.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Well, that depends on which 3 bills he was talking about...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well, that depends on which 3 bills he was talking about...

My course takes three 5 dollar bills!

But what I would do to play on a really top notch course, even if do suck, it would be awesome to get out there one day... Allas that kind of money i dont come by.

Perhaps his game was to golf was as your spelling and punctuation is to English...

I was thinking the same thing.

I only had to read what the OP said 5 times to really undertsand what he said.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Oh man, I'd kill to play Pebble... no, this was 'The Boulders', $285 onpeak, like $200 offpeak ... I'm not sure I would pay that much to play it again, but if I ever do, my score can only go up.

Driver = Dymo2 10.5*
3W = Sumo2 15*
Hyb= G10 18*
3-PW = G10 Graphite
SW = SV Tour Black 56*/10LW = Aspire 60*Putter = XG TeronBag = Clip-Lok Stand BagBall = Zip

ive seen many first time golfers,this guy was no joke 5 times worse,my guess is his handicap would be at least 55 no joke prolly more like 80 all b.s aside

Hey, my actual handicap is around 50, and I can drive the ball 300 yards. My problem is I can't stop slicing the ball off the tee box, but my fairway game and putting are sub 90 golf. Maybe you should encourage your friend to take lessons and quit taking yourself so seriously. Remember that golf is a game that 95% of the time is played for fun. It is confounding and takes years to perfect. All that B S about your concentration is fluff. As long as you carefully consider each shot, it doesn't matter if you spend awhile helping out a friend.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

I did not play a regular 18 hole course till I felt I had enough game to do well. I would go to practice courses(nine holers) and work on the irons. To help keep up I would only use a 3 wood to keep the ball in play. Players need to find a spot where they can hit a nine iron and get the swing going. When a newbie pulls out a driver, I want to hit him in the back of the head with something unless he does well with it. Every ball in the right rough gets old, real quick, and I would just have to move on, see ya! The problem today is the driver is easier to hit with than the rest of the clubs, as far as actually hitting the ball goes. Where it goes is another story!

the short game equalizes everything
FT-5 Draw 10.5
NVG woods 3,5,7,9
Orlimar 4hy
Wilson DI-5 Irons 6-pwTurner wedge 51* bent to 53*TM TP 54* SW bent to 57*Wilson Kirk Currie #2 Mid MalletLaddie X

Hey, my actual handicap is around 50, and I can drive the ball 300 yards. My problem is I can't stop slicing the ball off the tee box, but my fairway game and putting are sub 90 golf. Maybe you should encourage your friend to take lessons and quit taking yourself so seriously. Remember that golf is a game that 95% of the time is played for fun. It is confounding and takes years to perfect. All that B S about your concentration is fluff. As long as you carefully consider each shot, it doesn't matter if you spend awhile helping out a friend.

he wasnt a friend we were gonna let him play through after 5 balls in the hazard in front of him he said ill just play with yall,and not wanting to be a dick we said ok,have you ever spent 25-30 minutes a hole looking fof someones ball

I remember going to the driving range a lot before going to a real golf course. I don't remember how much, but I was comfortable enough to hit my first ever tee-shot 200+ yards down the middle of the fairway.

My problem was with what came next... I suddenly realized that I had no idea how to take a half swing with my PW, or hit out of the sand, or chip from the fringe, etc. I think I finished with a 130, but at least I could move the ball down the fairway.

I don't mind seeing raw beginners on the course as long as they let people play through. But I don't understand why someone would opt to spend a bunch of money on greens fees and a cart when they cannot even get the ball into the air or hit it past 50 yards. That just doesn't seem like much fun to me.

Tim

I'll throw in a quick story. He's not the worst, but certainly the worst I have ever played with, including myself. But he's a friend of my wife's family and a great guy. Here's a little taste:

This could literally be a story about my boss. He and I have been playing for a year now, and he still takes baseball swings at the ball. As you can imagine, he tops it nearly every time, and if he is fortunate enough to get it off the ground, he banana slices it into the woods. I have seen him shoot a 20 on a par 4. To be honest, it was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing, and it definitely did not ruin my game at all. People like this who laugh about it are really fun to play a round with in my opinion, but then I am only playing to have fun and relax. Golf is my happy place, whether I'm shooting great or can't keep score because i ran the pencil out of lead.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

I have to say that regardless of what he was doing wrong, what he was doing right was trying to play the game. It's times like these that you need to kick back and just have a good time out on the course with your dad. Buy the poor guy a beer afterwards and suggest a good golf instructor.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

he wasnt a friend we were gonna let him play through after 5 balls in the hazard in front of him he said ill just play with yall,and not wanting to be a dick we said ok,have you ever spent 25-30 minutes a hole looking fof someones ball

I absolutely have. After fifteen minutes, I inform him that the rules of golf state that golfers should keep pace, and offer him one of my cheap balls to drop. Guys like that should not spend long looking for their balls, and since you wanted to be polite you should have told him that. Instead, you just sat back judging him and telling everyone on this board how much he sucked. Well, it's guys like you that make guys like him afraid to play, because you are the representation of the long time golf stereotype: a pretentious jerk who thinks he's better than everyone else. Remember we all started out as horrible golfers in some respect, not everyone can be a Tiger. Hell I still can't drive straight to save my life, but my golfing buddies help me every round.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

Well, it's guys like you that make guys like him afraid to play, because you are the representation of the long time golf stereotype: a pretentious jerk who thinks he's better than everyone else. .

did i tell him how bad he was?i kept saying positive things to him you think that just because i was mad i acted like a ass?sounds like your being judgemental now.i gave him cheap balls to hit,and kept encouraging him,dont think you know how i act i played with a guy today who wasnt that good but could at least get the ball down the fairway,yea we helped him look for balls on about 10 holes,it was one of the most enjoyable rounds ive had this year.

did i tell him how bad he was?i kept saying positive things to him you think that just because i was mad i acted like a ass?sounds like your being judgemental now.i gave him cheap balls to hit,and kept encouraging him,dont think you know how i act i played with a guy today who wasnt that good but could at least get the ball down the fairway,yea we helped him look for balls on about 10 holes,it was one of the most enjoyable rounds ive had this year.

Now that was a little more positive. I don't presume to know how you act, but I was 19 once just like you, and I know how I was then. I have a question and I don't want you to get angry, just think about it. Do you get paid to play golf? If not, don't worry about a horrible beginner. Now I understand if the guy is tearing up the turf, and if he has a blatent disregard for the game and how it's played, then you should tell him to move on or call the proshop and have the Marshall remove him from the course.

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

Wow. Thats just horrible haha. Well, some people just aren't meant to hit a golf ball. I say that if you can hit it more than 50 yards on your first time out on the course, you can learn to play golf. Any less than that, and its really decided for you. That might be a little profiling I'm sorry but it's kind of a fair assessment.

I agree, it can be taught but sometimes you either have or you don't.

Note: This thread is 5451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!