IGNORED

Low handicappers--Iron distances?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree that the best way is to hit the clubs often, and pay attention. If you play a lot you can feel if you hit a ball pure. Those are the ones you need to pay attention to. If you are good enough to be dialing in to within a few yards, you should have a good idea of how far you hit each club. If you really think you need to know if you hit your 8 iron 130 yards or 132 yards, you are too good for any of us to advise you further.

Well, its not that I "need" to know it that accurately, I was just curious how some of these people get it that accurately. Would I like to know them that close? Absolutely!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it is experience on the course. I do not trust range balls and there distances. I have a old range finder that only picks up a flag out to 140-150. I use that with anything inside of that yardage. Outside of that yardage I use the course.

I am not that accurate. But I know I can hit my 7 iron 160 with a decent swing. I really can't consistantly fly the ball exact distances outside of that by any means. If the greens are firm I try to take that into account. I might have 160, but hit an 8 iron to just fly on the front plus 5-7 yards with the bounce.

I really just use my best judgement outside of 140. Inside that I have a really good idea how far I will fly the ball.

Brian

I just got a lesson and it has already improved my striking ability and I am hitting it a lot further now, but I don't know my new distances to well yet.

Old distances-
60*- 50 yds
54*- 85-90 yds
PW- 130-135 yds
9- 140-145 yds
8- 155 yds
7-165-170 yds
6- 180- 185 yds
5- 195 yds
4- 200 yds
3- 210-215

Since my lesson last week
60*- 90 yds
54*- 110 yds
PW- 140-145? yds
9- 150-155? yds
8- 160-165 yds
7-170-175 yds
6- 190- 195 yds
5- 205 yds
4- 210-215 yds
3- 220-225?

I will be continuing to work on have that slightly bowed left wrist at impact with my hands leading the club head and try and find more exact yardage for my irons. I hit a 7 iron on the short par 5, first hole yesterday from 170 and it flew the green. I hit it about 185

Well, its not that I "need" to know it that accurately, I was just curious how some of these people get it that accurately. Would I like to know them that close? Absolutely!!

I didn't mean to sound like an ass there... Just saying that if I am 152 from the pin, I am going to hit my "150" club. I am not accurate enough to try to dial it in to a yard or two. If I were that consistent I would probably be too busy with my PGA responsibilities to be on this forum.

I take aim at the pin (or whatever target) and understand if I am 5 yards short or 5 yards long. I am happy when I stick it, which happens enough for me to feel comfortable with my yardages and club selections. I am always amazed at the incredible length everyone seems to get on their clubs when posting about it. Makes me wonder why I never run into anybody like that at the many different courses I play.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I just got a lesson and it has already improved my striking ability and I am hitting it a lot further now, but I don't know my new distances to well yet.

These were the results from my last meeting with my teacher. The next one is concentrating on the left wrist as well. I am hoping this gets my distance back too.

Bryan A

I have played long enough and hit enough range balls to know within 2 - 8 yards of how far I should hit a club. But there is always the bit of a miss hit or even being pumped up and hitting an iron 10 yard longer than it should be. But the way i think about it is even if you are ten yards off on an iron that still leaves you with a 30ft putt and two putting from 30ft. is what I tend to work on. Now of course on my wedges it becomes easier to dial in but I guage my wedge distance based on feel.

FT-5 Tour 9.5 Driver Fujikura E360 X-Stiff
14 Degree Fairway Wood Fujikura Platform
Fusion 21 Degree Hybrid Aldila NV Stiff
X-20 Irons (Uniflex Nippon Shafts)
X Tour Vintage Wedges 54 and 58 Degree Studio Design Stainless Newport 35" Diablo Golf Ball"I must learn there is a difference between...

Im not a big hitter. I depend on scrambling and short game to keep my scores low.

These are the yardages where i use my clubs. ( i dont have an exact numbers about how far i hit them, i play by feel alot)

58- N/A ( i never take a full swing with this club )
54- 80-100 yards
50- 105-110
PW - 120-135
9i - 145
8i - 155
7i - 165
6i - 175
5i- 185
4i - 195
19 - hybrid 210-215

I dont have a club or for shots over 220. I carry a 13.5 3-wood after that, which is basically a second driver. For shots that long im just playing for position and using short game to get up and down.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

In order to get accurate distances that translate to the course, you should use the same ball you play with. It may seem elementary, but some people may not realize the difference between hitting a range ball and a Pro V.

When I was learning my distances I chose to grab a bunch of balls and throw them down on a par 5 and start hitting shots, gradually working through each club in my bag. If you can hit 5 or 6 3-irons, 5 or 6 4-irons, etc etc, you'll get a pretty good idea of your average distance.

Another important thing to consider is that although you may decide you hit your 8-iron 150yds or whatever, you'll rarely experience a situation where you'll have a plain,flat 150yd shot. On the course there is always different variables to consider (pin locations, wind, bunkers) that will influence your club selection.

Just a thought...
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

In order to get accurate distances that translate to the course, you should use the same ball you play with. It may seem elementary, but some people may not realize the difference between hitting a range ball and a Pro V.

You are absolutely correct on the variables. But the more accurate you are with your yardages, the more accurately you can take the variables into account. I think once I get my swing changes fairly consistent, I am going to go to the flattest par 5 I can find and just start with my 3I and work my way down. I will hit 5-10 balls with each iron and average the results and get my numbers that way. To be honest, I have never actually checked my distances. I just go by what I remember hitting on the course during play. I want to try and get them a little more exact ( I know they can't be "exact" but you know what I am saying).

Bryan A

A issue with finding your distance this way would be that the ball reacts differently on the fairway than on the green. It would have to be wet for this to get true carry distances.

I know I can only hit my 6 iron 180. But when I lay up on a par 5 it might go 200 with a bounce and roll. just a thought. A good idea though and again if it were wet and no roll, would work great.

Brian

A issue with finding your distance this way would be that the ball reacts differently on the fairway than on the green. It would have to be wet for this to get true carry distances.

If the par 5 is flat enough, you can keep your eye on where most of them are landing..maybe hitting at a specific spot...and then you can get your carry and your roll.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!