IGNORED

When is a fade too much?

Note: This thread is 5594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At 175 yds with my 5I, I am about 25 yds off-center. Pretty consistent throughout my clubs (so, 7I I am off about 15 yds, etc.). Is this too much? It seems like it is. For the low-handicappers - what do you consider an acceptable fade/draw at the same distance?

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

That's a slice. A fade is a ball that flies fairly straight and drifts slightly to the right on it's descent (a draw falls left) and typically not more than 3-5 yards with any club.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I'm not a low handicaper (obviously). My longer irons naturally fade but no more than 5-7 yards with a 4 iron. My shorter irons (7-LW) only have a very slight movement of maybe 1-2 yards.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

Agree with the above....I would say it is OK to move a long iron a bit more if you know it is coming -- even up to 10 yards, but anything over that will really become a problem if you play on even medium firm greens (and with firm greens, it will be very tough to hold anything except short irons).

I personally hit a draw and at times get my grip and alignment so messed up I am drawing a 9 iron 20 yards...it is just so maddening...but you just have to keep hitting balls and tweaking until you smooth things out.

Stupid game.......

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

When youre leaning to the right to find out where the ball went.....
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Are you setting up for a fade and it goes that far off? Or is this your natural swing? It if is your natural swing then that is for sure too much. My fade or draw is 5-7 yards as already stated. 25 yards is ALOT!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A fade or a draw is to much when you have to aim so far the opposite way to correct it that it actually amplifies the fade or draw. If you have to aim far enough left that it creates an even bigger slice then it is to much.

FT-5 Tour 9.5 Driver Fujikura E360 X-Stiff
14 Degree Fairway Wood Fujikura Platform
Fusion 21 Degree Hybrid Aldila NV Stiff
X-20 Irons (Uniflex Nippon Shafts)
X Tour Vintage Wedges 54 and 58 Degree Studio Design Stainless Newport 35" Diablo Golf Ball"I must learn there is a difference between...

Thanks, guys. This confirms what I was thinking. And yes, this is my natural swing right now. As of three weeks ago, I was hitting a very slight dafe of no more than a few yards. I don't know what I am doing wrong now. I'll play around with my swing to try and find out.

I'll tell you what though, if I knew almost exactly how much the ball moved with each club, my opponent would be in big trouble!

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

I went out aain yesterday afternoon and hit some more balls, this time focusing on a good hip pivot and very little lateral movement. This has been an issue for me for the past few weeks as I am adapting to a new swing. I noticed immediately that at 175 yds, my shots were about 10 yds off-center, not 25 yds. I am pretty happy with this right now, especially since I am doing this fairly consistently. Obviously, I will try to get this even lower, but for right now, this is a huge improvement.

Another thing to consider, Tom Lehman made a gret career out of hitting what is essentially a push-hook.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

Note: This thread is 5594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!