IGNORED

Tempo, Tempo, Tempo

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thats funny you made this thread. I was just about to post one just like it after my range session last night. I started out ok and then decided to turn it up a notch and go full swing. Shots were getting closer and closer to el hosel. I was just going way too fast. I wasnt allowing time for my left hip (righty) to turn back. My arms were on their way down already before my hips were cleared. I changed it up to where I felt a rhythmic "Laaaa .... Deeeee... DAH". "Laa" is the back swing, "Deee" is my left hip turning back. "DAH" was the downswing. The more I spaced out the lah dee dahs, the more power I had in the swing it seemed. Dead center hits, even some near the toe too. (And I never toe shots!)

I tried the rymthmic laa dee dah today and it did not work for me. I think any words in my thoughts during swing just screw me up.

I tried the rymthmic laa dee dah today and it did not work for me. I think any words in my thoughts during swing just screw me up.

So when you get up to swing you don't think any thoughts? Or am I misreading what you wrote?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

One way I've aquired tempo I believe was hitting lots of wedge shots. I'm not a big fan of spending lots of cash on many buckets of balls so I spend a huge majority of my time at the pitching and chipping area at the local muni. Hitting tons and tons and tons of 140 yard and in shots have ingrained a pretty decent tempo. Although my long game, driver and 3 wood, needs work. A good 2 or 3 iron off the tee is just fine for me.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

So when you get up to swing you don't think any thoughts? Or am I misreading what you wrote?

Yes I do think when I swing. I think the issue is focusing on words during the swing.

One way I've aquired tempo I believe was hitting lots of wedge shots. I'm not a big fan of spending lots of cash on many buckets of balls so I spend a huge majority of my time at the pitching and chipping area at the local muni. Hitting tons and tons and tons of 140 yard and in shots have ingrained a pretty decent tempo. Although my long game, driver and 3 wood, needs work. A good 2 or 3 iron off the tee is just fine for me.

Appreciate this whole thread...tempo is a major emphasis for me these days...I also notice that, if my tempo is off at the range with long clubs, a diversion to a couple of easy 7 irons helps me to reclaim some of the lost tempo. Interesting.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

I think an important thing to add for the newbies is that good tempo doesn't necessarily mean slow. Too slow can do as many bad things as too fast. Rather good tempo means everything happens in balance and harmony, in a proper sequence.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

I notice that when i'm making good contact is when I have a good tempo. As others said, it was good for me to see this thread. My tempo tends to be wild just about all the time. It's something I'm really gonna start working on!

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!