IGNORED

Golf in Los Angeles

P3R3
Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

about time to get this thread going again.

I played Rustic Canyon over the weekend. I was very pleased with the experience. Pace of play was great for a Saturday, only found myself waiting once.
Course was in great condition. This is the type of course that you will enjoy more after playing it a few times. Those greens are wicked! very fast and tons of breaks.

Going to give knollwood another shot this weekend. It often lets me down but it is so local that I really want to like it.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool to see the thread back alive. How is Knollwood in general? I've only really played Eaton Canyon, Altadena, and Alhambra around here. Sadly, I can rarely find the time to play 9, so actually getting out for a real 18 is probably going to be rare, but I'm dying to find a way to make it happen soon.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Knollwood has great potential but i think the management there must be horrible. Slowest course i have ever played and course is typically in bad shape.

Alta dena is a great 9 hole course for the money. I miss playing that course.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

Too bad about Knollwood, particularly about the condition. I can deal with slowness, but it's nice to have a well-kept course.

I like Altadena a lot, especially the all-grass driving range. I actually think Eaton Canyon is a bit more interesting and is run by the same group, so has same prices and all. Only problem is its driving range is uphill instead of slightly downhill, so it's not as encouraging.

In the bag:

Cool to see the thread back alive. How is Knollwood in general? I've only really played Eaton Canyon, Altadena, and Alhambra around here. Sadly, I can rarely find the time to play 9, so actually getting out for a real 18 is probably going to be rare, but I'm dying to find a way to make it happen soon.

Knollwood isn't bad, other than the pace of play. If you're willing to drive from Pasadena to Knollwood, how about to Rancho Park instead? Pace of play - especially on a weekend - sucks, but it isn't bad if you're with friends. If you want to play Rancho Park, let me know, because if I'm around that weekend, I'll book the time and join you. It's just off the 10, so it isn't a tough drive from Pasadena. It'll cost $39 for a non-LA City resident to play, walking, on the weekend. But it's an easy walk.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shindig, I'd be up for that some time. Probably not this weekend, maybe next? Saturday afternoons (1pm or later) or early Sunday (the earlier the better so I don't get in trouble for stranding my wife with the kids for TOO long after they wake up) might work. Wonder if we could scrounge up a TST foursome...?

In the bag:

Plan to play on friday...I was thinking of playing Robinson Ranch, as they had the lushest, most gorgeous fairways I've ever played...(don't mind paying a little extra to play off green, thick fairways unlike the rampant bald mess of grasses I encounter on munis)...This was awhile back, and conditions may have changed. Are their fairways still in fantastic condition?

I played Rustic a month ago, and their fairways, although better than munis, were rather unexciting. Same with Moorpark. Who has the best fairways in LA/OC/VENTURA?

Oh yeah, I heard Hansen Dam is going off the LA City course list, and will be operated privately in the near future...Hope prices won't go up too much as Hansen is one of my fave munis.

I've played the Navy course in Cypress (A steal for 8 bucks for 18 holes) but wow... talk about flat! Not as much fun as I thought it would be, having played on an Army course in Germany that was amazing.

I play San Dimas, Moreno Valley, Menifee, and thinking about heading out to Palos Verdes for the small 9 hole there. Cant quite hit the Trump course.. costs way too much for my quality of game.

I got a few buy one get ones at Strawberry Farms and Robinson Ranch that i was thinking about using if they havent already expired.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Guys, I will be flying into LAX in a couple of weeks and have an overnight layover until I fly to Hawaii the next day. I was hoping to get in nine holes at a course near the airport. Anything in that area worth playing?

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Guys, I will be flying into LAX in a couple of weeks and have an overnight layover until I fly to Hawaii the next day. I was hoping to get in nine holes at a course near the airport. Anything in that area worth playing?

Avoid Alondra Park, which is near the airport.

There's a good par-31 executive near the airport: The Lakes at El Segundo. You even tee off from grass, and the greens are in great shape. How far from the airport do you consider acceptable?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey guys, I'll be in the LA area (near Universal Studios) for the weekend (5/1 - 5/2) for my daughter's dance competition. It seems I'll have some free time on Saturday morning - just need to return by 11 am. So, I'll be bringing my clubs and play early in the morning! I've looked around and the closest is Harding, Wilson, or Balboa. Any recommendations?

Hey guys, I'll be in the LA area (near Universal Studios) for the weekend (5/1 - 5/2) for my daughter's dance competition. It seems I'll have some free time on Saturday morning - just need to return by 11 am. So, I'll be bringing my clubs and play early in the morning! I've looked around and the closest is Harding, Wilson, or Balboa. Any recommendations?

Well they aerated Wilson/Balboa/Encino a few weeks ago...so expect bumpy greens. Harding should be fine, as well as Woodley Lakes. Harding is the better course. Just be prepared for the fact that you might not finish a full 18 in under 4 hours...

played Camarillo springs for the first time today. Very well kept course. Greens and fairways were in very good shape. they did have a bunch of marked off area for repairs though. Course plays pretty long and it was windy today making it a challenge. If it were not for the wind the distance is the only big challenge here. All in All i say great bang for your buck course. I would play more often if it were not so far from me.

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3

• 4 months later...
I live up the street from Balboa, Encino and Woodley. Play at one of those courses 1 or 2 times a week. Get on at 7am, done at 11am. Played Knollwood a handul of times. Want to try Scholl Canyon and going to play Sherwood CC next week. When I lived in OC, played Strawberry Farms and Aliso a lot. Mess around at Whitset and Van Nuys too.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

I played Robinson Ranch in Santa Clarita when I was down there this summer. $69 for 18 and a cart. The course was really nice, probably the nicest I've ever played on, but I haven't played on a lot of nice courses.

If you don't keep it on the fairway, expect to lose your ball. The fescue is deadly there.

I also played a course out towards Ventura, but I don't remember the name of it. It was very green, had a lot of large trees, a couple of ponds, and a couple of really neat elevation tees.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

I went to the LA area a few yrs ago and played on Seal Beach, that was a nice little course..

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

Note: This thread is 4947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!