IGNORED

Where to Buy Discounted Clubs w/Confidence?

golfheaven
Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been away from this great sport for too many years (16) and have returned to learn of a whole new designation of clubs called hybrids. Looking at my "antiques" I am inclined to go out and buy a whole new set. Having perused many threads and learning from other people's experiences, I would naturally like to save money while at the same time not get taken with buying counterfeits. I am familiar with MSRP and MAP and realize that most dealers can not advertise below a certain designated price without jeopardizing their business relationships with the manufacturers. I've googled the net to check out prices.

Before I jump in, would anyone care to name a reputable discounter?

Thank you!

I recommend Rock Bottom or GPP or TGW all have treated me fairly over the years.Rock usually has last years models at good discounted prices.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

There's no better place to get discounts and deals than eBay. Beware though, there's a ton of fakes out there...I also love www.3balls.com , I've gotten a bunch of wedges from them and they're also pretty conservative on their club conditions - I got a Nike SV Tour black wedge that was listed as 'Like New' and was in its original shrink wrap - didn't look like it had been played at all.

I've been away from this great sport for too many years (16) and have returned to learn of a whole new designation of clubs called hybrids. Looking at my "antiques" I am inclined to go out and buy a whole new set. Having perused many threads and learning from other people's experiences, I would naturally like to save money while at the same time not get taken with buying counterfeits. I am familiar with MSRP and MAP and realize that most dealers can not advertise below a certain designated price without jeopardizing their business relationships with the manufacturers. I've googled the net to check out prices.

You can stop by some of the shops in NYC and try some of them out before you buy them. You may even be able to find something in the used bins.

« Keith »

I've also had very good experiences with 3balls.com. What I do is compare all outlets available to me when determining where to buy and what to pay. Local golf shops usually have a good selection of used merchandise for sale. I check there and then I'll check online. I have used ebay, and depending on what you're looking for that can be a venue where good prices can be found. Care must be taken on ebay concerning fakes (but that's usually only going to be on merchandise that is popular like brand new drivers or Cameron putters), and with bidding (you don't want to get too into the auction that you end up paying more than you wanted, it does happen).

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions. Rather than buying a
used set I thought I'd splurge for a new set of clubs.

Curious to know if pro shops are amenable to negotiating
especially in this recessionary economic period.

Anyone with any recent experience?

also check out callawaypreowned.com. they have other brands as well. i would advise getting something a notch above the category named "average condition". good luck.
In the bag:
983k 9.5° YS-6 graphite shaft driver
F Speed LD Mens 3 Wood 15.5° Graphite Design Tour AD YS Stiff
2H 18° Baffler Pro with Fukijura Speeder Stiff Graphite Shaft
3H 20° Baffler Pro DCi irons 4-PW + S Rosa putter

I have bought plenty of hybrids and fairway woods on ebay from ROCK BOTTOM GOLF, namely Nickent.

I have not paid more than $16 plus $12 shipping (each) for a 3 wood, 5 wood, and 23 degree hybrid...All Nickent 3dx series. The clubs come brand new in the wrapper with brand new clubhead covers that are for each club (no demo bullcrap). They ship fast. And they are really good clubs (Nickent...a big player on the Nationwide Tour). I have also bought from 3balls.com and they are good also.

So take a look at ebay, and if rock bottom is the seller they will deliver. I have lost plenty of auctions on rock bottom golf auctions, but they sell plenty and you will get a deal, try buying the ones that end at late hours of the night for the best success.

I have nothing to do with Rock Bottom Golf, but they have delivered on every one of my winning auctions, they do a big volume on ebay.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I would definately agree with the responses recommending rockbottomgolf.com and 3balls.com. Both have quality name brand equipment at affordable prices. I have never had issues with either and have ordered from them many times.

A thought about playing with 'antiques' -- my set of Wilson ProStaff Oversize irons is about 15 years old but was good quality when I bought them. I decided recently not to replace them, but fitted them with new Winn Master Wrap grips and they seem fine for me. I had also made a decision to go to oversized grips because of my hand arthritis, and the combination of new and oversized grips is giving me a whole new experience with my old friends, my somewhat aged irons. Just my experience...

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

got a heavy putter from rockbottom on ebay that retails for 159 at golf galaxy for 24$ plus 10 shipping ....

arrived 2 days later. I'm now a loyal customer :)

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

got a heavy putter from rockbottom on ebay that retails for 159 at golf galaxy for 24$ plus 10 shipping ....

What name does their ebay store go by? I may have to do some shopping!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Being a poor college student, I have done a lot of research into where to buy inexpensive golf clubs, and in my experience the absolute cheapest place to buy clubs is on ebay.com. I've bought 7 clubs on there, and have had no problem at all, all the clubs have been legitimate.

Some fakes look so good they fool experts. I've read articles about this. It happens in almost every field where there is a buck to be made. I bet you there are many good folks out there enjoying their "great deal" clubs not knowing it's bogus. Fake Louis Vuitton bags on Canal Street, phony name brand audiophile headphones on the web, faux Faberge on Madison Ave.......the list is unfortunately endless and most victims are faceless. Hopefully the percentage of scams is low, but call me cautious or call me cynical, there is something to be said about supporting your local pro shop where the merchandise is the real McCoy.

There are definitely fakes out there, and if you're looking for top-notch equipment that's something you have to watch out for. But if you're looking for clubs that are a step down (that don't go for over 100-150 used) I really don't think there is any point in worrying about it.

Also, thrift stores can have really good clubs for amazing prices. I found a complete set of 1996 Big Bertha irons for 3 bucks apiece. Those things go for 30-50 each used online.

similar to a post above, as a student I'm particularly cheap, so I looked around for a long time for clubs, and from experience ebay is most certainly the place to look. got a Nike SQ tour 9.5 driver for $50 practically brand new!

Note: This thread is 5411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!