IGNORED

unlike Phil...

Rafcin
Note: This thread is 6503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unlike Phil - I see a dangerous trend in my competition game. I don't have problem finishing, but starting. Here is short recap of last two tournaments I played:
2005 MGA Amateur Qualifier :
1st hole - driver in first cut, 6i to green, 2 putt : PAR
2nd hole - driver in woods, chip out, chip out, over green, chip on, 2 putt : +3
3rd hole - driver OB, driver OB, driver piped, 9i green, 2 putt : +4

After 3 holes I'm sitting at +7, knowing that about +3 has a shot to qualify... Played rest of the round at even par, finished 79, 6 over cut line.

2006 MGA Pub Links Qualifier:
1st hole - 3w fairway, 8i green, 2 putt : PAR
2nd hole - driver pull-hook in pines, chip out, bladed over green, chip on, 2 putt : +2
3rd hole (par3) - 5i pull hook, chip short in bunker, chip on, 2 putt : + 2
4th hole (par5)- 3W pull hook water, drop, layup, on the green, 2putt: +1
5th hole (par4) - 3i in fwy, bunker, bladed over green, chip missed, chip on, 2 putt : + 2
After 4 holes I'm sitting at +7. Played +1 rest of the round, finished round at 80, 6 over cut line.

I know I need psychiatrist, but I wonder if anybody has some pointers to prevent me from doing it again?
I'm playing MGA Amateur qualifier July 6th and would like to stay in contention for a change

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't play in any big tournaments or competitions, but I have the same problem. I'm always a little tight at the beginning of rounds, but I usually finish strong. That was the same way I was at The Newport Cup last year as well. I started crappy but finished respectable.

I think we could all use a golf psychologist. :/

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but my main focus starting any tournament round is swing tempo. On the first tee (and for the first few holes) my entire focus is on my tempo. I know that if my tempo is good, I will have good results from the shot. During a round, most any errant shot from me is a result of being way to quick in my transition. Pull hooks and blades can easily be a result of a swing that is out of tempo or out of sync.

I'm not a teaching pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express earlier this week.

• Administrator
I know I need psychiatrist, but I wonder if anybody has some pointers to prevent me from doing it again?

Try to get the tournament organizers to let you tee off on the back nine first?

Seriously though, getting back to it... my advice may not help, but it's the simple kind. You probably "shoot yourself out of it" and then relax because you're out of it and play good golf. What's the difference between the two? Internally, I mean, what's the difference in your emotions, your state of mind, your mental state, etc.? If you can figure that out, you can apply the mental state you have after you've blown your chances to the first hole. I'm assuming this is 99% a mental issue, as you aren't the type to skip properly warming up or anything. It may be as simple as saying "I have no chance of qualifying, so let's just have some fun today?" to yourself on the first tee (even if you're lying to yourself a little).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If feasable, play 9 in the morning before your tourney.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

Don't feel bad Rafi. I'm the other way around. I'm usually starting the rounds off pretty good but then screwing it up on the way in. The last two US Am qualifiers went that way for me.

Last year I shot a 77 in the opening round and was +4 in the last 3 holes.

I don't know which is worse. Your way of screwing up or mine.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

What's the difference between the two? Internally, I mean, what's the difference in your emotions, your state of mind, your mental state, etc.?

I think I can figure it out, that part is simple.

I'm very nervous, can't quite point it out though - is it more "don't embarass yourself" or "I want to play really good" thing. I read an article once about type of golfers - type A playing "for others" and type B - perfection is their drive. Phil and myself - I'd say type A. Tiger - definite B. I guess it's about 60/30 between these two. I'm very concerned about what the playing partners (most of the time 1/2 or more of my hcp!) will think... Trying too hard I tend to false-start every time (as my wife can witness ). Ok, here it is - this is the problem. Now - how to do "...you can apply the mental state you have after you've blown your chances..." .

I agree with A.J. It sounds like you need a warm up round before playing the tourny.

sounds like it, doesn't? I spend a while on a range, putt a bit.. feel fine... then they call my name out on the 1st tee - and I need fresh undies. Ain't that simple

Don't feel bad Rafi. I'm the other way around. I'm usually starting the rounds off pretty good but then screwing it up on the way in. The last two US Am qualifiers went that way for me.

I bet you I walk off the course with more smiles than you

I'm not a teaching pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express earlier this week.

Love these ads

Kind of thnking about it sounds like HI Express does wonders... every time I shot myself out of it early was with pull-hooks left and couple Thinsky's... I'll have to put TEMPO on the bottom of my hat's bill for the next tourney! Thanks

Sounds like stage frigh.... er... Tee Fright to me! :)

Does it? No kidding.. I guess we all know that - the question is - how do you guys deal with it

There's your problem right there! You spend time on the range and then go putt. That's not your normal routine. You usually get out of the car, smoke a cigarette, finish the starbucks you bought on the way, hit the head and of course, dream about Michele Wie. All in 15 minutes before tee time.

Stop worrying about who you're playing with and play against the course.

• Administrator
u see Ray, that's why I love you - cuz you know me so well

Hey now, this isn't that kind of forum, guys... get a chat room, wouldja?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, it sounds to me like you are talking yourself into making a mistake right off the bat.

You always start off with a solid par and from there it goes downhill. Are you thinking about "don't screw this up" or something along those lines?

I've had some reasonable success in tournaments lately and I attribute it all to being calm and just taking things in stride. Have confidence in your swing and your ability and it'll come around eventually. If you find yourself in a bad spot, take your medicine and find the fastest route to safety. If you're meant to do well in the tournament, then you'll be fine, but you have to realize that sometimes it's just not your day, and that's ok too.

Sometimes the shots come off just like we want them to, and sometimes they don't, but don't let those less than desired shots cost you 2 more. A perfect example of this is, if you have a short pitch to a short-side pin, make sure your mistake is long... don't let something minor cost you an extra shot or two.

Good luck!
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

thx FAH, I'll try this.
You're absolutely right - I'm literally "waiting" to screw up... and once I've done it - after a hole or two - I'm off to just play. It's hard to control though. I already started to prepare myself for a blowout in my July 6th tournament by looking up the hcp of my playing partners... one of them is +3.6 index (why the heck is he still an amateur ?!?!?!). Now that's a pressure cooker

Note: This thread is 6503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!