IGNORED

Will a Scotty Cameron or "Premium" putter help my putting?

Note: This thread is 5434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The short answer is no .

Neither a Scotty Cameron, nor any other premium flat stick for that matter, will suddenly make you start draining putts.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Go for a putter which you feel comfortable and confident with. You need to gauge your own stroke. Getting a Scotty may give you the added confidence but remember, if you can't putt with it, you're going to look silly especially when you have an expensive putter. Putts are sunk and missed on stroke and feel, not on the brand of the putter.

I will say, however, that Scottys have a nice feel but that's my personal opinion. I use an Odyssey which I like but am considering a move to Scotty.

Oh... you should also expect to change your putter a couple of times in your golfing "career." As you progress in the game, your stroke and feel may change and along with such changes come a change in your clubs too :)

In my bag:

D: Burner 2009 10.5˚
3W: Burner 2009 15˚
5W: Burner 2008 18˚R: Rescue Burner 25˚I: X-20 (4-SW)W: CG12 52˚P: Black #2

No. But if you like the feel, then go for it. If it wasnt for my putting, id probably be a 7 or 8 handicap. I save 4 or 5 pars a round just by just making those 5+ foot saves. I got a Scotty as a reward to myself for being a pretty decent putter. But nobody needs a 300 dollar flatstick. I could probably putt with my old ping anser 2 just the same. The better putter you are, the more you'll come to appreicate a fine putter, IMO.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Will the putter help make more/longer putts? No. Will the confidence from having a new putter help you make more/longer putts? Most definitely.

I agree, I think putting is 90% mental and the other half physical. There are some basic techniques to putting but for the most part IMHO, I think it so much more mental. Having confidence can make you a better putter.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I recommend going to a store find a bunch of putters that look good because if you cant stand the look of a putter you will never makes putts because you will have no confidence. Then hit all of them and see which ones feel the best to you. Importantly do not look at the price tag because it will influence your choice and if you find the right putter you wont care what you paid for it.

No, the putter itself no, but if you feel comfortable with the putter you will start to putt better!

Good luck!

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Thanks guys, I went to a pro shop and tested out ALL the putters theres, Yes, Scotty Camerons', RIFE, Odyessy, Heavy Putter, Never Compromise, Betternardi, ect.

The ones I felt THE best with were the Heavy Putter B1 and the Betternardi.

I went with the Betternardi because I didn't want that heavy weight to mess with any mechanics.

Bought the Mizuno Betternardi from budgetgolf, should be here soon hopefully

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

Where do you go to enter the coupon code? After you enter your credit card info? I am probably going to pick up a C-02. Thanks for the great deal.

....it will improve your putting if you spend more time practicing with the premium putter.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

Where do you go to enter the coupon code? After you enter your credit card info? I am probably going to pick up a C-02. Thanks for the great deal.

On the cart page at the bottom there is a coupon bar, type in 1overpar

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

Wow I am blind, or retarded. Thanks.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

Wow I am blind, or retarded. Thanks.

I wouldn't rule out a combination of the two

jk jk,

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w

I see you got a C02 also. Do you know if the neck can be bent to fit? I'm short so I'll need to get the shaft cut down to 32" and possibly flatten out the toe by 2-3*. You're right, I'm a combination of both B&R.;

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

I see you got a C02 also. Do you know if the neck can be bent to fit? I'm short so I'll need to get the shaft cut down to 32" and possibly flatten out the toe by 2-3*. You're right, I'm a combination of both B&R.;

I am not sure to be honest but you can polly find someone that will fit it for you, albit it may cost $$.

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w

Thanks guys, I went to a pro shop and tested out ALL the putters theres, Yes, Scotty Camerons', RIFE, Odyessy, Heavy Putter, Never Compromise, Betternardi, ect.

Congrats....you will very much enjoy the Bettinardi. Let us know what your thoughts are after a few weeks with the putter.

You are probably better off not purchasing the Heavy Putter. If you are starting to develop your putting stroke, you want to be able to develop your distance control most importantly. With such a heavy putter...it is a tad more difficult to develop that skill. A skill that is most important to mitigate the dreaded three-putt. (a lot of people think the key to improving putting is to putt well within 5'....so why not improve your odds by getting those 5' closer. Also....it is easier to reduce the number of three putts than it is to increase the number of one-putts).

Just because you are 'short' doesn't mean that you will need to flatten out the the lie by 2* or 3*. Many times putter lies remain the same no matter what shaft length is selected unless an unconventional putting stance is used.

Go to a reputable club maker and they should be able to figure out what needs to be done.

You're right. When I got fitted for my Yes Tracy, the toe was pointing way up. And since there isn't a neck, I got the shaft bent instead to bring the toe back down. Up untill then my putts tend to go 1/2 a cup to the left.

Just because you are 'short' doesn't mean that you will need to flatten out the the lie by 2* or 3*. Many times putter lies remain the same no matter what shaft length is selected unless an unconventional putting stance is used.

RZR Hawk 9.5

Diablo Tour 3W

RZR X Hybrid 21
09 X-Forged 4-P
X-Forged 52/56/60
Byron Morgan 007

I got the C02 today, I love it. The build quality is second to none. I just need to work on my putting now.

Can you just go to the local course and go on the putting greens or do you usually have to pay for the fee of 9 holes or what not? Thanks

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w

Note: This thread is 5434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!