IGNORED

I QUIT! Its time to take lessons

XMScott
Note: This thread is 5413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last night I and my neighbor signed up for 4 one hour lessons. I have been trying to teach myself by reading books and watching the Golf Channel. (Hold that thought)
I live in a small retirement community that has a three par 18 hole golf course. Ain't the Black course in Bethpage, but a small 100-150 yard from tee to green course.
So, for the past month plus a couple of day, I have been crossing the street to the 3rd hold and whacking away at this white ball. It skims the grass, sometimes takes flight. sometime to the right, sometimes to the left. But each day I go out there, work up a sweat, and swing those clubs.
I'm going for lessons, just to learn something. I'm an old dog, looking for some new tricks.
PS I have no idea what # I am...thus the 666---it's the devil!

Swing Happy My Friends!

Congrats on getting the lessons, just don't expect instantaneous results.

I agree.

I am reaping the benefits of understanding things I learned in 5 lessons I took 4 years ago. I finally got my swing to a place where I could repeat it and then made the necessary changes. When I took the lessons I was a 28 HCP and now play at a down trending 12. Lessons and club fitting are the two things that got me here. Oh.. and a little bit of PRACTICE!!! (And a LOT of Tiger Woods PGA Tour - Got it for the Wii now!!!)

-Bobby Harris
----------------
I play a Wishon driver that was fitted to my personal swing by a professional club fitter
Irons are Tommy Armour 845's for irons handed down to me from my father
Wedges by Cleveland Golf. Gap(52), Sand(56) and Lob(60).And a VERY OLD Odyssey Putter with a graphite...

I like the OBEY FEZ avatar.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

LOL

I tend to boogie in between pars too. The more I par, the more I boogie.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

So what is your actual handicap? Do you have one or?...Just curious because +8 didn't seem so bad to be honest. Obviously we don't know the course but if you could have just turned those doubles into bogeys it would've been a fine round..

I dont have one. I dont normally keep score. This is only my second season playing. The pro asked too. I've shot +6 to +14 at my regular place in recent memory (9 holes).

I will say that when i got what he was trying to teach me the balls went straight and much longer. I was hitting the fence with my driver and a good 170 with my eight iron. Its amazing what a little wrist action can do. I wasnt using them at all! I think he emails me the video comparison when we are done. I'll make sure to try and post it.

I'm watching this thread with interest (and hoping for the best for you and your game). I've never had lessons and this is my 5th year. I'm not a long hitter either and have always wondered if some lessons would improve my distance. What I want is what you want... 250 off the tee instead of the 200 I've been getting.

My first year I was so bad with the driver, and completely unable to hit woods, that I was teeing off with a 3 iron.

I've steadily increased to the point where two thirds through last season, I hit an 80. I've been pretty much struggling ever since and have regressed drastically. Almost quit the game.

Glad I didn't though as things are finally starting to get back to where they were. Had to build my swing back up from ground zero. Interestingly, I was having the same issue as you... somehow I had taken my wrists out of the swing completely.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best and I hope you keep this thread alive throughout your lessons and perhaps a little past. I can't afford lessons this year but who knows... maybe next.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

170 yards with an eight iron? That's long... Sounds like the lessons are working for you... Good Luck!

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

Thought i could do it without pro help.

Good that you're taking the plunge and having some lessons.

Having said that, you should temper your expectations, because lessons don't usually result in instant solutions and you may get worse before you get better. You will need a bit of time to get used to the changes your pro asks you to make and it will feel awkward and/or wrong at first. The results of the shots using these new methods may not be pretty, but it takes time and practice.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

I can get 4 packs of lessons (24 1/2 hours) for that price...

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

I have been a golf instructor for over 30 years. Many of the experienced players who come to me do so because they are playing worse than their normal game. They are not looking to revamp their golf swing; they just want to get back "where they were". Almost every time, I can straighten them out with one simple change. They have usually fallen into a bad habit or unknowingly, have been doing something different. It is especially helpful if I have seen the student's normal swing. Then, I can tell with one swing what is new and different and is causing the problem. My advice-----------go to a good PGA pro or golf instructor, and be very specific in telling him or her what is wrong. If they are not familiar with your "normal" swing, they may inadvertently give you the wrong advice.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!