IGNORED

Golf Shoe Sizes: Better to be TIGHT, or LOOSE?

Note: This thread is 5420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Based on my experience (with leather shoes) and as noted in another thread on the subject, when in between sizes, go larger.

I'm gonna disagree with this. It is impossible to get the support you need from a shoe that is

too big . I always buy shoes that are snug, not constricting, and after a round or two they are perfect. There is a break-in period with shoes...

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I guarantee that if they don't feel really good in the store they won't leave with me. It seems quite silly to me to buy something that doesn't feel good and just hope that they get better with time. I've done that in the past (with hiking shoes) and most often they never did feel that good. Now I don't buy if I don't like them straight away.

I think you're misunderstanding me.

I never said that anyone should buy a pair of shoes that does not feel good in the store. I spent a few years selling high-performance footwear (backpacking boots, mountaineering boots, climbing shoes, trail running/adventure training shoes, etc) and I never let anyone leave with a pair of shoes that didn't feel good. High quality leather shoes do break-in though. A pair of Vasque Sundowners will be rather stiff out of the box, but they should fit and feel comfortable, otherwise you shouldn't buy them. It'll be dozens and dozens of miles before the thick, heavy duty leather fully breaks in - but once the shoe is fully broken in, it will be significantly more comfortable than it was initially. Now, of course golf shoes are not heavy duty backpacking boots - but most are full leather, and leather, stretches and breaks in over time. Golf shoes, like backpacking shoes and unlike track running shoes, are designed to be durable and last a long time after the initial break-in period. A fully broken in leather shoe should be more comfortable than the same shoe right out of the box. If it's not, you bought the wrong shoe, unless you want to have to buy new shoes every few rounds.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I've been wearing Ecco shoes for the last 7 years. They were the first shoe I ever put on and walked out of the store because they were more comfortable than the sneakers I had on.

I don't care what shoe it is, there's no way two golf shoes alternating are lasting me 7 years. Maybe if you play 5 times per year. But if you're real serious about the game and play about 80-90 rounds per year with driving range sessions like I do, and, walk almost every round, it's just not going to work which is why I buy a 50-100 dollar pair of shoes each year.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I don't care what shoe it is, there's no way two golf shoes alternating are lasting me 7 years. Maybe if you play 5 times per year. But if you're real serious about the game and play about 80-90 rounds per year with driving range sessions like I do, and, walk almost every round, it's just not going to work which is why I buy a 50-100 dollar pair of shoes each year.

Why didn't you just write "You're a liar" in your post. That's pretty much what you're saying to me there.

You're right. I don't play 80 rounds in a year. I don't know anyone who works outside the sport and puts in 50+ hours per week who does. I play a little more than half of that. BUT. I sell cars. I walk all day every day. Uphill and down around our lot. I also wear these dress shoes (Two pair, one black, one brown) any time I go out where I need to wear a suit. Your $100 shoes will NOT last you 7 years, You're entirely correct. You have spent $700 over the last 7 years on shoes and own one pair. I spent $570 on two pairs and still have them both and they're as comfortable as they've ever been.

-Bobby Harris
----------------
I play a Wishon driver that was fitted to my personal swing by a professional club fitter
Irons are Tommy Armour 845's for irons handed down to me from my father
Wedges by Cleveland Golf. Gap(52), Sand(56) and Lob(60).And a VERY OLD Odyssey Putter with a graphite...

• Administrator
Buy shoes that fit. If 9.5 wide is too big and 9.5 medium is too small, maybe you need a 10 medium or a 9 wide.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why didn't you just write "You're a liar" in your post. That's pretty much what you're saying to me there.

LOL. Well, for someone who doesn't get out and play a lot, your decision and method makes a ton of sense - which is why I didn't think you 'were lying.' But for someone who plays a ton like me, I'm going to need more than 2 pairs of golf shoes over 7 years. Plus, I've only been playing for three years and I couldn't even imagine my original pair holding up over those three years I've been golfing.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

LOL. Well, for someone who doesn't get out and play a lot, your decision and method makes a ton of sense - which is why I didn't think you 'were lying.' But for someone who plays a ton like me, I'm going to need more than 2 pairs of golf shoes over 7 years. Plus, I've only been playing for three years and I couldn't even imagine my original pair holding up over those three years I've been golfing.

Do you really play 80 -90 rounds a year with all that range time? its really showing in your handicap

Man, please.. i play probobly 2 times a week, practice about three a week... I have had two pairs of shoes the last four years.. I only ever change the first pair becase my feet grew a bit between freshman and shophmore year.. I have used the same pair of nike's since sophmore to now Senior year.. I walk every round i play, and all you really need is to replace the spikes every few months.. so lets see, i bought these nike's for 65 bucks on sale, and spent lets say on average 10 bucks every three months for new spikes.. Maybe you abuse your shoes? i mean i dont know what you do with/in them.. mine spend the majority of their time in my trunk..maybe if you didnt walk through mud and shit they wouldnt get so dirty? I dunno man.. this seems like a pretty dumb question.. I mean always figured "If the shoe fits" it would make sence to buy them... but if you need an internet messaging board to figure out how to buy shoes, i cant imagine how your going to continue with your life... Brian

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

But if you're real serious about the game and play about 80-90 rounds per year with driving range sessions like I do, and, walk almost every round, it's just not going to work which is why I buy a 50-100 dollar pair of shoes each year.

I know it's not always true that paying more equals higher quality... But if I was able to play as often as you, I would certainly investigate every brands top-of-the-line shoes. Playing that often, I would not hesitate to pay $250 or $300 for a pair of shoes.

For hobbies, my motto is, the more I do something, the more I am able to justify better tools for it. Playing twice a month gets me $400 clubs and $60 shoes. If I played twice a week, plus practice sessions, I would have $1000 clubs and $300 shoes. Maybe multiple pairs... But that's me... For you guitar payers out there, it's the same thing. I just strum around every couple of days, and I am satisfied with my $300 Ibanez or Epiphone. But if I played seriously everyday, I would not hesitate to get a multi-thousand dollar Gibson ES-335.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Dont settle for less than a correct fit. As someone with flat feet, I can tell you that you dont want foot problems, and improperly fitted shoes will harm your feet, knees, and then back, exactly in that order. Go get a fitting at your professional orthopedist, no different than club fittings. Its pretty cheap, and it will tell you exactly what size you need in millimeters, length and width, so you can match them to the shoes your buying.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Id prefer it be a little loose. Over the course of a round, as your feet start to sweat then expand, so you want that little bit of wiggle room so that your shoes arent too tight and cause discomfort.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Do you really play 80 -90 rounds a year with all that range time? its really showing in your handicap

First of all, I've been playing golf for three years now (June of 2006). I know people who play for 40 years and can't get their handicap to where mine is now...I have been looking around for a job, handed in a ton of applications, but no one is hiring around here, so I've had a ton of time to practice/play the past few years since I've taken up the game. I play in 20 matches a year for my school team, plus about 5-10 tournaments during the summer, so that's 25-30 rounds right there - then you figure I'll probably play at the very least 50 rounds on my own over the course of six months until December.

Second of all, I was wondering what you guys preferred. Some prefer the shoes to be on the tighter side, others preferred on the looser side. It's not that big of a god damn deal. Not really sure you found the need to come in and antoginize me for a simple question. I'm pretty sure I can figure out what shoes to buy...I was just wondering which is better to have. Some people claim golf shoes will 'break in and expand', while others don't believe that so I was a bit confused on whether or not I should get something that may feel a little tight/stiff not knowing whether or not they would break in. And for the record, I'm not sure how you'll get through life when you can't spell "sense" correctly. Also, an update on this: I went to Dick's today, tried on a few sizes and 10M fit me perfectly. Thanks to the people who actually answered the question, instead of being an actual dick about it.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

First of all, I've been playing golf for three years now (June of 2006). I know people who play for 40 years and can't get their handicap to where mine is now...I have been looking around for a job, handed in a ton of applications, but no one is hiring around here, so I've had a ton of time to practice/play the past few years since I've taken up the game. I play in 20 matches a year for my school team, plus about 5-10 tournaments during the summer, so that's 25-30 rounds right there - then you figure I'll probably play at the very least 50 rounds on my own over the course of six months until December.

Aw.. you make Brian sad...

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Aw.. you make Brian sad...

I still figured out what shoes I could buy, not sure why you're sad.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Since when is laxplayer201092 an *******? I think he woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Don't take it out on CG031.

Waaait.. you thought i was nice before? lol thank you..

No, i have just read post after post of his and finally got fed up with him so bam! there was my little mini rant of the day lol I apologze CGO (or whatever your username is..) but honestly man...

Waaait.. you thought i was nice before? lol thank you..

Ok, apology accepted. I'm not looking to come on this board and fight, but dude...

What was wrong with my posts before this thread that has gotten you pissed off? i dont even know what i did to you.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Note: This thread is 5420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!