IGNORED

Trusting Ebay

Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To add to all of the comments above.. Use common sense!! I bought my Irons on e-bay for a fair price from a golf store. I passed on the other set of irons from a seller in Argentina. They were TaylorMade R7 TP with Rifle shafts, buy it now for $299. I've never been accused of being a genious, but .....

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

I have bought clubs involving at least five transactions, each from a different seller on eBay:
1. A set of new irons 3-P, SW, LW.
2. A set of used irons, 2-PW.
3. A used SW.
4. A used GW.
5. A new putter.

All of the clubs I bought were in as good or better condition than stated on the eBay listing. All of the items I bought were delivered promptly, most if not all within a week or less. I believe all of my eBay purchases were much better deals than I could have gotten locally, and some of the items simply were not available locally -- that's one of the beauties of eBay with many more sellers than I can find locally.

Since I have had nothing but good transactions on eBay, I would not hesitate to buy off eBay again, whether golf equipment or something else. Before bidding, I do pay close attention to not only the seller's feedback scores, but consider how many feedback scores there are and read many of the feedback comments paying close attention to any negative ones. Also, I'm pretty careful not to overbid for the item; I don't want to buy an item unless I think I'm getting a good deal and assume the seller is getting a good deal also since he/she is willing to sell the item for the amount of the winning (hopefully mine) bid.

When I first started playing pretty much everything in my bag came from Ebay (R580 driver, R580 fairway woods, RAC OS irons, RAC wedges, and even my OGIO bag).

This year I'm retooling and have, with the exception of my 585H, and a VS Proto shaft, I have purchased everything through my local proshop. My experience with Ebay has been 100% positive, but for big ticket items I'm willing to pay a little extra for the comfort of knowing that should I have any issues with my new equipment, I can find a resolution right down the road.

As other's have suggested, check the sellers feedback closely. If there are negatives, find out what you can about them. In too many cases, one or two unreasonable buyers have lowered the ratings for very good sellers.

-wtd

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I bought my driver, irons and bag on eBay. Never had an issue. I also did my homework, knew what I was willing to pay and made sure (as much as one can on eBay) that the seller was legit.

When I bought my driver (TaylorMade R580) I took it to the range and after about a dozen swings I heard some weird noise coming from inside the clubhead. Turns out a piece of epoxy had come loose and was rattling around. I thought for sure I would be stuck with the club but I contacted the seller and he let me exchange the club. I think the key is to find a retailer who sells via eBay as you're likely to get better customer service. An individual couldn't have exchanged that club for me.

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

As well, everything in my bag came from Ebay. I have had no bad experiences so far with over 85 transactions. Just bought my driver via Ebay, registered it with no problems. Just sold my old driver and woods via ebay...a great resource!

I also purchased and sold clubs on eBay. I've bought my TM 460 driver and also have a new Never Compromise putter currently in shipment I purchased. I've also sold my own driver, hybrids, golf balls, putter, etc. As long as you pay attention to the details or specs for the items your are purchasing (ask question if the q's you have isn't listed on the page) and the seller has good feedback then you hopefully should be o.k. For the ultimate protection, find a seller who accepts Pay Pal since if you do buy and item and find out it's a fake or you get completely jacked on the item and not shipped at all then you can file a claim. Personally I only buy expensive items via Pay Pal and only using the credit card payment option since if Pay Pal doesn't give me my money back on a bad sale then at least I can also petition my credit card company as well.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

Alot of the bigger sellers on ebay are selling clubs they're over stocked with or demo clubs, poor conditioned, incomplete sets, or clubs with missing head covers and accessories. This is why you see alot of crazy good prices. I hear a whole lot of crap about fakes but you get the clubs and they look and perform like the real thing. Check for serial numbers, some manufactures put them on the hosel of 1 of the clubs. I've bought probably 10 + clubs on ebay and 30 + items. I've also sold on ebay. It is a great resource to save and make money on. I bought a set of used Mizuno mx-23's 4-pw at my local retailer for $350. Then turned around and sold them for $480 on ebay. Generally you save about 25%, and you can find older models which are nearly extinct in golf stores. I bought a set of rac tp combos a long time ago 4-pw for a buy it now at $200, they had serial numbers so i knew they were real. A set 3-pw was going for around $400 back then. So really good deals are out there if you look.

Its also just good fun to do. You order alot of stuff and then one day its like christmas all over again. Selling is also alot of fun if you do it right.. people will buy anything.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I've sold and purchased a number of golf and non-golf related items on ebay, no real problems. As everyone else has stated - look at the sellers feedback rating, and make sure that you pay with a credit card through paypal (do not use the default direct debit from a checking account option, it's very hard to get your money back if you do run into problems)

In the bag:
Driver - Cleveland Launcher Comp 11.5*
Fairway Woods - TaylorMade 580 3W, 5W, 7W
Iron - Titleist 775 4I - AW
Wedges - TaylorMade RAC TP Satin 56*, 60*Putter - OdesseyBall - TopFlite Strata (various forms)

What I have been hearing is that the biggest area of risk for fakes on Ebay is clubs advertised as Brand New- especially the really popular drivers. Although it has been happening with iron sets, too. Lets be honest, the brick-and-mortor stores, even if they are overstocked or trying to dig up some new e-customers, aren't going to be consistently selling at 40% (sometimes more) under retail. Mike_Pinto, if you are ever down that way, International Golf Discount (on May Ave.) has (or had recently) an interesting news clipping about this and somebody the FBI busted here in the states.

Edited to add:
Anyone selling something used is typically safe. Especially if they have pics.

I bought my two Taylor Made MIDs (#2 & #4) on E-bay. I got them from a guy on the other side of the Continent, and even with the shipping I ended up getting them at 70% of the cost had I got them through my pro-shop. The clubs were as stated, (used once or twice) and had no scuff marks or scratches. I had a great experience using E-Bay, the shipping was prompt, and the clubs were/are great. I recommend using E-Bay but one has to be vigilant and intelligent about it.

I should also note I get my gloves through E-Bay. I buy three packs for the price of one at my pro-shop. I also like to pick up gag golf items (exploding balls and novelty tees) as well as mini golf games (token games, putting pool, etc...) on E-Bay. For big ticket items (as mentioned by many others in this thread) I don't mind paying a premium to ensure I get full service and no hassle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In The Bag:
Driver: Nike Sasquatch 460cc 9.5 w/ stiff shaft
FW Woods: 5W Warrior golf FW series
Hybrid: Taylor Made MID #2 & #4
Irons: Tommy Armour Silver-backs
Wedge: 60 Wilson Lob-wedge
Putter: Ping Craz-E putter
Balls: Nike 1

I bought my set of Nike OSS Irons from ebay as well as my putter and hybrid but I will only use 3 Balls Golf to buy from off of EBay. They are really quick and the clubs were all in great shape.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I just received from UPS yesterday my new Never Compromise GM2 Exchange 3 putter that total I paid only $90, at my local Golfsmith & Roger Dunn it sells for $239.00 and the one I got from the online seller was brand new in plastic still. Made sure though they had great feedback and accepted Pay Pal.
In my Viper by Hippo Golf stand bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore 10.5° Fujikara reg. flex
Woods: 3- MacGregor NVG2 Fujikara reg. flex
Hybrids: 3 & 4-Taylor Made Rescue Mid
Irons: Titleist 775.cb w/Graphite Shafts (5-GW)Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Action SW & 60° lob Putter: Taylor Made Monza...

I just got my #4 that I paid $97 with shipping and it is the real deal. Had to wait a while for one to come up that I wanted for the right price. They are to be had!!

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!