IGNORED

How do you handle a cheater?

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 6511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If this is an old topic, I appologize, but I have a problem in my league. We have a guy that does not count all of his strokes. Last night I counted four holes where he shaved a shot off.

Here's the dilema: It is a friendly league with no money or prizes at years end. We keep scores and handicaps and standings. The league is all friends and family. This guy is the partner of a lady that we have golfed with for abou 4-5 years and bowled with even longer. She is good friends with my mother-in-law and my wifes aunt, who are both in the league as well.

If this were a money league or somthing more compettetive I would have called him on it. The biggest problem I am having is does he even know he is doing it. On three of the holes, I gave him putts. On the fourth he had a full blown whiff. I was giving him 9 shots and then he gave himself 4 more. I essentially had to beat him by 13 last night.

Any advice for how to handle this?
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Start with "what'd you get there" as your walking to the next whole. If he's off by a stroke and you know it, gently remind him. Suggest something like "oh, I count X...did you miss that whiff?" Whatever you do, make sure its not harsh right off because you jeopardize the relationship and he might actually not realize he's doing it.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

AJ has a tactful solution. Mine not so much. Give him a copy of the USGA rulebook (or slip one in his bag when he is not looking). You stated that it is not a competitive league yet you keep standings and handicaps (sounds pretty offical to me). If he is not counting all his strokes, he is screwing the league. Ask around to the other players to see if he had an addition problem when they played against him (other people could ask him as well to count all the wiffs, etc.). If he being constantly reminded by his opponents about counting, he (hopefully) will start adding correctly.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

or you could just smile and bear it...personally i dont like confrontation so i usually dont call anyone out on cheating or what not, even in a high school match, cuz i weigh both sides and i dont care enough to risk getting yelled at or defending my position or what not.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

yep give him a rules book 9 maybe even high light some parts) and then if it continues then tell him he is screwing up the whole leagues calculation maybe that will help

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

It's a pity people have to play that way. A league stands or falls on the honesty of its members so he should be held accountable for that reason alone. I might be able to overlook someone lying about their score if it were only for bragging rights but not for a league.

Hopefully there is a way to do it without losing the friendship. A.J. is on to something there. When used right humor can be a way to suggest he plays by the rules. There is always the direct approach which really is the best way to deal with it. When you are direct and yet compassionate a lot of times people respond well too.

I hope you can get this resolved.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pull his shirt over his head and swing away oops wrong sport

Seriously, I would ask him what he got and then say "huh, I had you for a X, must have been wrong". Then he knows you are counting and paying attention and he will as well. Nobody wants to be "that guy" and as soon as they know they are then my bet is they stop.

IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

Sounds like someone who just has to win no matter what it is. I played volleyball with someone like that. He tried getting away with every little thing and he finally got called on it. No one wants to be on his team now...

It's annoying but like others have said, if there's no money on the line, etc, then it may not be worth it. I guess it all depends. Does he rub it in everyone's face that he's got a better score? THEN it might be time to 'take em down'

In my bag:

King Cobra 9.5 Driver

Tight Lies 3 Fairway Wood Zing2 3 to 9 irons, SW, PW, Putter Lob Wedge

If this is an old topic, I appologize, but I have a problem in my league. We have a guy that does not count all of his strokes. Last night I counted four holes where he shaved a shot off.

As long as you don't play for money/prizes/drinks..don't worry about it..sounds like he's not a true gentleman of the game.

It's annoying but like others have said, if there's no money on the line, etc, then it may not be worth it. I guess it all depends. Does he rub it in everyone's face that he's got a better score? THEN it might be time to 'take em down'

He doesn't ever rub it in, because he isn't good enough to. We play on a short course with a par of 31. His average is 51. I did the math last night not including each team having two byes left at 6 points per week, unless my wife and I only take 10 points to their 26 then we already have it won with half a season to go. We currently have a 15 point lead. It's just very frustrating to pull off a great par save and know that the guy just made double and he gives himself a bogey.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Yea, I can see it being very frustrating because even though there's no prize involved, there still is the integrity of the game and playing fair. I can totally understand that...

In my bag:

King Cobra 9.5 Driver

Tight Lies 3 Fairway Wood Zing2 3 to 9 irons, SW, PW, Putter Lob Wedge

I had a good friend (and even better customer) I used to play with and he had a bad habit of forgetting strokes. I am not sure if it was intentional or not, but I started doing what Sole Wolf suggests, calling him on it. He looked accusingly at me and said, "Are you counting my strokes?" While smiling, I replied, "Well, yes. You seem to be having trouble with it." We both laughed, but it ended the stroke shaving.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

It sounds like he really doesn't consider it cheating, he may just be embarrassed by his poor scores, maybe an offer of a llittle help off the course. While helping with his game you could reinforce the importance of accurate scorekeeping if you want to improve. Perhaps he needs a little help becoming a real golfer? I know this may be to much to ask, but 25 years in social work has shown me that we rarely know what others motivation is. He is likely not trying to gain advantage, only avoid loss of status.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

An 8 iron to the shin's normally work's .........................

Lmao, I think I might use that....

No seriously .A.J. has a real good suggestion, I'll use that sometime.

Easy. Don't ask his score for 3-4 holes. Just write down what you count. He'll realize you are counting, and not lie. Or, just say," that was a six, right?" Anything other than what you thought, and just start replaying his strokes out loud. This is a problem that will go away once he knows you are counting.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

In this case he only cheats himself by falsely lowering his handicap, doesn't he. The lower it goes without the skill, the less he wins. But, let him know you thought he had whatever on a hoile and he will know your counting also.

Note: This thread is 6511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!