IGNORED

Laser Rangefinder Expectations

Note: This thread is 2244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A little background. My dad had a skycaddie SG2 for 2 years until it broke. Now, that's not too bad I guess, but a $200 GPS should last a bit longer than that. His broke right after he paid for the 3rd year membership, and he just said he was going to live without it from now on, since he plays the same course 98% of the time, and he's used to the yardages. So I thought I'd buy an SG3 and use it on the remainder of his membership. Well, the SG3 never worked out of the box. It would say 185 at the 150 mark, or 120 at the 100 mark. The yardages were obviously way, way off. So I returned it and started looking at the Bushnell Medalist and Leupold GX-I laser rangefinders, since my home course isn't mapped on any of the GPS's.

This weekend I finally broke down and bought the GX-I. I took it out on the course for the first time yesterday, and I was a little depressed. I have pretty stable hands, but I had to laser everything 3-5 times to get a good yardage. If I was inside 150 yards, I could usually get it within 2 tries. But anything between 150 and 250, which is about the farthest away I could think about hitting at the green from, I had to keep pressing the button time after time getting different yardages each time, and finally decide which one was right. Is this normal? Or is this just a bad unit, or should I look at the Bushnell Medalist instead of the GX-I. I picked the Leupold because of the increased magnification and the complaints about the Bushnell battery cover falling off, and also because the name Leupold means something in the optics world. But I wouldn't have spent $300 plus tax if I'd of known it would perform like this. I can still return it, but I'd like to know whether my unit is defective or if this is just what I should expect from any laser rangefinder?

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

• Administrator
It sounds like bad technique to me. Are you using two hands? Are you SURE you're stable?

I hold the button down and aim at the flag. I don't like the press-and-release method as much. I can also aim at bunker lips or trees or mounds or even the front or back of the green. I only need one measurement. Sometimes I'll miss and get the trees behind, but it's obvious and I re-shoot at the flag.

That's not to say your unit is not defective. Perhaps it's aiming somewhere else. But that's probably unlikely, and you should try shooting some things like big flat walls. See if you get the same distances there - that'll eliminate range finder errors and let you know that, I guess, you're not as steady as you'd like to believe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The SG3 and SG4 were/are poor products by SkyGolf standards. They were re-branded Magellan Explorer devices with just different software. Were you actually able to transfer the membership from the old SG2 to the SG3? At one time, when I tried, they were refusing to do that saying a membership isn't tied to the person but to the device. As a result of that I went and bought a Golf Guru and have never looked back.

Index 2.8
In the bag: Rapture V2 10.5, Ping G10 Hybrids (18/21/24), Ping i10s (5-PW), Ping Tour Wedges (52/56/60), Ping Anser, TM Burner ball, Golf Guru GPS

I dont own GX I model rangefinder that you bought, but i borrowed one for a couple of weeks to get some measurements on some courses that ive never played before. I had a similar problem with it that you did. Its too light. You have to have the hands of a surgeon to keep that thing steady. The Bushnell ones seem a little more hefty and easier to keep pointed.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This weekend I finally broke down and bought the GX-I. I took it out on the course for the first time yesterday, and I was a little depressed. I have pretty stable hands, but I had to laser everything 3-5 times to get a good yardage. If I was inside 150 yards, I could usually get it within 2 tries. But anything between 150 and 250, which is about the farthest away I could think about hitting at the green from, I had to keep pressing the button time after time getting different yardages each time, and finally decide which one was right. Is this normal?

I have much of this same problem but I can honestly say that my issue is due to technique. I have to have a supre stable base in order to get my hands still...and I still shake (damned caffeine).

However, with that being said, I still am able to get my yardages within a few tries. I use the same method as Erik (holding down the button and aim at the flag). In playing a few rounds with Erik I can tell you that he is very accurate and quick in getting the yardage he's shooting for.... I definitely need some practice.
I hold the button down and aim at the flag. I don't like the press-and-release method as much. I can also aim at bunker lips or trees or mounds or even the front or back of the green. I only need one measurement. Sometimes I'll miss and get the trees behind, but it's obvious and I re-shoot at the flag.

All in all....I say the unit is affective and a great tool. It just takes some practice and stability.

I used the GX-I for the first time yesterday (it belongs to a friend) and it was great. It was lighter than the Bushnell V2, but I found no problem getting yardages with it. I shot 181 with it on the first try. I think the second and third tries were 182 and 181 or something like that. I also tried getting my yardage when sprinklers were on between me and the flag. That took a few shots, but I eventually got the right yardage. It just takes some practice, but whichever unit you go with, they are good. Just a side note: look into LaserLink devices. The gold ones work great and are easier to use than Bushnells, Nikons, or Leupolds IMO.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Like anything else, it takes some practice to get used to it. I wouldn't let the first round deter you. When I first got mine I noticed the same thing. I would think that getting a reading with 3-5 tries isn't that bad. It doesn't take that long to hit the button, 15 seconds total maybe. I usually try and get 5-6 readings so I know I have the right one.

When I first got mine, I pulled it out at the house and aimed at different things in the neighborhood. Trees, mailboxes, cars, people, both near and far. That helped me get used to using it and aiming at different things. Once you get a good feel for using it, it becomes real easy.

One trick on the course is this. If you are using a cart, put your elbows on the steering wheel and make yourself a little bipod with your arms. It should help stabilize your hands so you can get a good reading.

Another thing I always do is look for a marker on the course so you have an approximate idea of how far you are. If you see a sprinkler head that says 146 to the center, the pin is up front a little, and you get a reading of 138, that one is correct. If you get something that says 175 you know you didn't hit the flag. That should eliminate some of the confusion with the different yardages you come up with. Lastly, trust what it tells you. If you hit the right target, it is correct.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I switched from a bushnell 1500 to the callaway nikon 550 and vever looked back. Both very capable items but the size of the callaway is nice when your walking.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Several years ago, I had a Bushnell, maybe it was model 400? Worked great. Sold it when I quit golf. Back golfing again. Just bought Bushnell 1500 with slope and pinseeker. Works great.

15 seconds? No way. If it takes longer than about 3-5 seconds, you're likely doing something wrong. Just mount the device, push the button and move it around the flag. It should pick it up easily. I shoot flags at 300 yards, no problem. And also bunker lips. Just hold the button, shoot OVER the bunker, then slowly pull it down until it picks up the most distant part of the lip.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

I use a Bushnell 1600 (same as 1500 with no battery door issue). The key is you aren't trying to "shoot" the flag with a single click.

Use both hands, aim at the flag, press the button down and hold it down and kindof move the aim point back and forth over the flag.

Lets say you are 180 out, and maybe there are some trees behind the green. As you move the laser over the flag, you may first see a number like 200, then all of a sudden the yardage will drop down to 180 and bingo there you go. Once I have the rangefinder out and to my eyes it rarely takes me over 5 seconds to get a reading. The only time I re-do a reading is if for some reason it doesn't make sense. The other day I re-shot lots of readings because the golf course had the distances marked dramatically wrong (30+ yards).

Also, make sure you have the pinseeker function turned on.

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

I've got a Bushnell with the PinSeeker, and all I do is aim and hold the button down for a few seconds over the flag. Sometimes it starts out with a really high distance, obvious I'm hitting a bunker past the pin or something so by holding it for a couple seconds even if you've got unstable hands you'll get the right measurement very quickly and easily. I love it and prefer a laser over GPS for many reasons, but mostly ease of use and being sure I've got accurate distances. GPS seems to sometimes be off by 5 yards either direction (meaning even 10 yards on occassion - that's nearly a club).
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I have a Bushnell Medalist. I have none of the issues you mention. If it takes more than 2 seconds to get the right number either your unit is defective or your technique is way off. Bushnell has redesigned the battery door for this model. If you have an older one and the door pops off, they will send you the redesigned battery door.

Maybe the higher magnification of your unit is exaggerating the instability? I find the magnification level (4X I believe) of my Medalist to be more than enough to spot any golf course target.

If you can, try another unit like yours to see if it's operator error or equipment malfunction.

Bushnell Tour V2 here.... works great and never takes more than 5 seconds to get a reading. I press the button once to activate, press and hold then sweep slowly across the target and the Pinseeker circuitry does the rest.

The lower (5X) magnification is actually a benefit as it reduces the effect of any shake. Scanning across the target also helps to minimize shake. I used to have a Nikon with 8X mag and no Pinseeker type logic, and it was a real pain to get a reading with.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
The lower (5X) magnification is actually a benefit as it reduces the effect of any shake. Scanning across the target also helps to minimize shake. I used to have a Nikon with 8X mag and no Pinseeker type logic, and it was a real pain to get a reading with.

I don't get that. I think it might reduce the APPARENT shake.

Say the laser is a foot in diameter at 200 yards. The magnification level will have no effect on how much that moves around. It'll just feel less shaky with less magnification. The actual amount the laser is moving around won't change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also, make sure you have the pinseeker function turned on.

I don't have a manual with mine. Mine works fine but how do I turn that on? It might already be on.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

Thanks for all the responses. I do find it easier to hold the button and scan to get a yardage if I'm outside 130-140. I almost always walk the course, so stabilizing myself against a cart isn't an option. At this point, I'm pretty sure the unit isn't defective. I just think it may not be able to keep up with the Bushnell in terms of pin-finding technology (of course purely a guess at this point), or I just need to get more practice at it. I don't know anyone else around here who has any rangefinder, otherwise I'd try it out against theirs.

I do feel like my confidence, once I did get the right yardage, was much better with the rangefinder vs. not having one. There's a big difference between 67 yards and 77 yards, when I'm hitting a sand wedge, but they might look about the same when you're standing there. And I do feel like the Leupold is accurate, once it gets the pin. But getting the pin is my problem.

I might run down to my local golf store to see if they can loan me one of the Bushnell models for a day or two and see if there is a difference between the two. Maybe I'm overreacting, or maybe I'm just used to the ease of using a GPS, where you can get 3 yardages in less than two seconds. Or maybe I was just expecting too much. But I already thought the rangefinders were overpriced for what you got. If I had a GPS unit that worked and was as accurate as a rangefinder, I'd definitely prefer that, since you don't have any line-of-sight issues. All that being said, I'm done with the GPS stuff, because I've had enough bad experiences, and they're pretty expensive too over the long run, when you're paying for memberships (skycaddie) or buying courses one at a time (uPro).

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

I tried other people's rangefinders before buying one, and I was shaky a bit at first, but quickly got over it. I find that if you anchor your elbows into your ribs a bit, and hold it with both hands, it really helps keeps your hands stable. I can get a reading very quickly with it.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Thanks for all the responses. I do find it easier to hold the button and scan to get a yardage if I'm outside 130-140. I almost always walk the course, so stabilizing myself against a cart isn't an option. At this point, I'm pretty sure the unit isn't defective. I just think it may not be able to keep up with the Bushnell in terms of pin-finding technology (of course purely a guess at this point), or I just need to get more practice at it. I don't know anyone else around here who has any rangefinder, otherwise I'd try it out against theirs.

One suggestion if you aren't doing it already... Shoot the flag itself (the cloth part), not the flagstick. The larger the vertical surface area you are shooting, the better the chances are of getting a good reading. I even get dependable readings using my V2 one handed.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!