IGNORED

Putter pampering

BigEd
Note: This thread is 6456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all I recently got a Ping G5i Ug-le putter and it seems I pamper the hell out of the thing. It has a insert so I take the head cover off and put it back on everyhole. For some reason, I was playing today and thought to myself this thing is getting to be a really annoying process.

Do anyone else do this? And is it recommned that I have my putter head covered when not putting so I don't scruff up my insert?

Ed

I have the Red X and I keep its cover on all the time to prevent the other clubs from beating it to death.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Yeah, I keep my Ping's putter cover on. Not so much worried about the insert, but rather the topline. Nothing distracts me more than a nicked topline when I'm looking down at a putter.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I currently have one of the new Scotty Circa 62's in my bag and if you don't pamper it, the thing will rust. I kinda enjoy wiping it down though...it's calming.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have two Scotty's: Futura Mallet 2 and Red X2; I always leave them bare once the round begins. Too much hassle to put the headcover on/off.

The only club I cover up after use is the driver, because with it's size it invariably is hit hard by any other clubs being replaced in the bag.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

You must keep Putter warm by keeping it in its cover anytime you put it back in the bag. Otherwise the other clubs may mock it for being short and having very little loft. Protect your putter, and it will treat you right!

At least, that's one theory. It doesn't always work for me, but at least the putters retain their looks and I can get more out of them when I invariably find the latest and greatest putter of the day and need to trade something in.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Absolutely... putter cover stays on unless its getting ready to be used... I even keep the cover on when I'm walking up to the green. If I miss a green and have to chip on, I take two clubs with me to my ball... whatever wedge I'm chipping with and my putter, complete with cover on. And it stays on until my ball is on the green. Of course, I've got a Cameron Pro Platinum so the headcover is really easy to take on and off, but I want it on at all times to protect it. I've had my putter for almost 5 years now and, aside from the spot on the front where I've hit thousands of putts, it still looks brand new.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

my ping headcover has a magnet in it to make picking it up off the ground a sinch... but i keep mine on while its in the bag.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

I am possible OCD, as I clean my putter and all my clubs with a special soap and a toothbrush EVERY time I use them, whether it be chipping/putting, driving range or a normal round

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Not sure if you walk, ride, or push/pull cart. I walk with a push cart and bought one of those thingies where you can hang you putter to the side of the bag..which has become quite convienient that alway taking off/placing back on the putter head cover.

I don't use a cover and the putter just hangs to the side of my bag. (I play with a SC Red X too). It doesn't get dinged up either because it just rest against the canvass bag and gets to dry out if the greens are wet..and I'm lazy.

I tend to use the cover for the first couple of weeks whenever I get a new putter. Once the magic runs out of it, I start to lose interest in keeping it pristine and stick the cover in a bag pocket during the round.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I always keep the cover on in the bag. When I take it off I put it in the slot where my putter goes. This is more to prevent losing it than anything. Have you seen how expensive it is to replace one at the Scotty website?
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

has to stay on.. you use your putter more then anyother club in your bag. Plus I have been known to slightly slam a iron or a wedge in the bag after a bad shot and I dont want to ding my putter.. for all the money they cost forget about it..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I never leave the putter exposed when its in my bag... just something I'm picky about, especially sine I dropped 3 bills on a cameron

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• 4 weeks later...
i always put my cover back on... i always walk and i would really hate to get my UG-LE dinged up or even loose the cover or something like that... you can never be too careful with your clubs...
Driver: Titleist 983k 9.5 Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel Stiff Flex
Hybrids: 2 & 3 Tour Edge Iron Woods X-Stiff Steel
Irons: 4-PW Tour Edge Progressive Irons X-Stiff Steel
Wedges: Taylor Made Fe2O3 56, Cleveland Tour Action 588 60 Low BouncePutter: Ping G5i UG-LE Ball: Bridgestone...

I don't have the greatest putter in the world and I always keep the cover on when I'm not using it.

I mean, the world would cease to function if I didn't...right?

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 6456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!