IGNORED

Iron Covers

iacas
Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you use iron covers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes (explain below)

The last two posts are what I hate about some golfers. How about you worry about your bag and I will worry about mine. Also, since my irons are way shorter than either my driver or 5W, how will they bang into the woods? Man I hate golf snobs.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, since my irons are way shorter than either my driver or 5W, how will they bang into the woods? Man I hate golf snobs.

They can bang into the shaft. Also, if the bag falls or is dropped they can bang into them. As well, when in a cart clubs can pop up a bit and potentially hit the Driver. When removing or inserting the iron back into the bag, there is a chance of user error which would cause the heads to clang together.

There's many ways it can happen. I wasn't trying to be a snob. Just pointing out that the general consensus is they're dorky. Use them of course. Whatever you think is best for you is best. People who are scared the front end of their car will get a ding in it use bras on the front of their cars. But of course, plenty of people see that as overkill and kind of lame. I think a consensus of golfers see covers as out of touch with tradition and etiquette and therefore snub their noses at them. In a lot of ways it's an "are you serious?..." kind of thing to see someone with them. They have no style. It's like, whats next? Covers for the covers so the covers don't get scratched?

I would if i had forged irons without a doubt because golf clubs of significant value can be seen as long term investments. The thing that takes value off golf clubs is the amount of dings and how used they looks, and i am sure with use of iron covers, this will minimise bag clatter which just ruins the value of the club. Besides, forged blades that are beaten up look rubbish.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I would if i had forged irons without a doubt because golf clubs of significant value can be seen as long term investments. The thing that takes value off golf clubs is the amount of dings and how used they looks, and i am sure with use of iron covers, this will minimise bag clatter which just ruins the value of the club. Besides, forged blades that are beaten up look rubbish.

I used to think that way. I have a set of second hand Apex PCs that, due to a lot of bag chatter, sat in the basement for years. I started playing them last summer (took them to the range mostly) and now use them regularly on the course. One day they may bump my shiny Mizunos to the basement.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
The last two posts are what I hate about some golfers. How about you worry about your bag and I will worry about mine.

Hey, people asked, other people gave their opinion. If you don't like discussing these types of things, don't join a forum.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And I gave mine and now you have given yours.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Golfers now are too concerned about equipment, and the latest technology/fads etc. etc. Iron covers are unnecessary. Thoes little dings don't affect the play of your irons at all. The only thing irons covers do is keep your clubs looking pretty. Honestly, i could care less what the backs of my irons look like. At the end of the day, its the number on the card that matters.

My wife bought me iron covers for my birthday. I've used them, and still do.

I keep them in my bag and they go on during transport, or if I golf a local course which has some rougher terrain.

During regular play, I find it annoying to take off and keep replacing the cover.

To each their own, for me they have some use during transport etc, but overall I find them a nuisance on the course.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

Golfers now are too concerned about equipment, and the latest technology/fads etc. etc. Iron covers are unnecessary. Thoes little dings don't affect the play of your irons at all. The only thing irons covers do is keep your clubs looking pretty. Honestly, i could care less what the backs of my irons look like. At the end of the day, its the number on the card that matters.

Well said.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I admit I use them because I don't like my stuff scratched and all. It really isn't too difficult to use them...part of the routinue and don't take any time.

Nicely said. I use iron covers...costs very little...takes little time to remove/replace during a round...provides a huge benefit to the longevity and condition of your clubs!

I use the wetsuit style covers...frequently see people on the range and course using them too! p.s. I carry my bag. Some people may call it part of the pleasure/tradition of golf etc...but I find it really annoying listening to the clanging of irons in the bag as I walk the course...covers prevent that noise!!

I use iron covers, my main reason is I don't like to see dings on the top line of my irons (and maybe a little OCD). But to me the look of the club plays a big part in my confidence in the clubs, and forged irons really show the dings when dropped onto another iron, and usually on the top line.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

p.s. I carry my bag. Some people may call it part of the pleasure/tradition of golf etc...but I find it really annoying listening to the clanging of irons in the bag as I walk the course...covers prevent that noise!!

Not sure if this was posted already.... I don't use them but I drape the towel thats clipped to my bag around/over them, especially when I walk to combat the noise and damage. In the back of a cart I don't hear it so much, but i still do it.

Plus, when the clubs misbehave you have to be able to let them bang around a while to get them back in line. Individual covers would spoil them and they'd be challenging your authority in no time.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Nope, don't use them. Don't have forged irons either, but I can't see myself using covers ever for irons. Plus, I hate the look of iron covers anyway.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

I carry and had them two years ago when I took up golf, the nice ones with a zip, just to stop the clanking when carrying but they got on my nerves after a while taking them on and off so they are at the back of the garage

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Not making a judgement, just an observation. I have never seen a good player use iron covers.

I don't mind the nicks, dings, scrapes because they make your clubs unique and only yours. It's your own signature or fingerprint. The thing I like most is the dime-sized mark on the center of the clubface you earn if your consistently hit solid shots. Still working on that. Wish me luck on my 3 iron.

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

Plus, when the clubs misbehave you have to be able to let them bang around a while to get them back in line. Individual covers would spoil them and they'd be challenging your authority in no time.

lol. good one!

I'm with you, one more thing to lose, and a bit metrosexual if you ask me.

so the 40 scotty covers in your avatar isnt metro ... but 10 black wetsuit type sleeves is ... ?

interesting

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

so the 40 scotty covers in your avatar isnt metro ... but 10 black wetsuit type sleeves is ... ?

Who let my wife on here? Bring up something I said 6 months ago?

A collection of scotty cameron putters with collectable scotty cameron covers in my office is hardly the same as little wet suits for your irons You deserve your little iron condoms. And for the rest of you I'm willing to bet Tiger no longer drives a Buick. Hell I'd drive one for free.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!