IGNORED

Iron Covers

iacas
Note: This thread is 5310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you use iron covers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes (explain below)

• Administrator
I don't use them, but I carry my bag.

I'm getting a set for when I travel - don't want my new forged irons dinging themselves up. But I can't see using them on the course.

My current 962bs are a tiny bit dinged (cast clubs), but my 680s are going to be a tad softer I guess. So... maybe but unlikely.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use them, but I carry my bag.

Small hand towels/washcloths - $.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond attached with rubber bands, also helps protect the shafts and hozels much better than regular iron covers. While traveling that is.

I starting using them after I got my forged Mizunos to the right amount of "banged-upness" as I like to call it. They don't look too new, but from now on they won't get any worse. I use the Club Glove ones that feel like a wetsuit.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Of course I use iron covers. If you make an investment, why not protect them?

I use http://www.castlebay.com/softexcovers.html these.
IN MY BAG

Irons Big Bertha Fusion Irons 3-PW, SW, LW (Nippon 990 UNFX)
Driver Big Bertha Fusion FT-3 (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)
3 Wood ERC Fusion 3w - RGS (RCH Sys 55R)4/5 Wood Big Bertha Fusion 15D Fairway Wood (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)Bag 10.5" orange fusion tour bagPutter Scotty Cameron Newport...

I see people using iron covers all the time. The other day I got stuck with a threesome and they all had iron covers as well.
IN MY BAG

Irons Big Bertha Fusion Irons 3-PW, SW, LW (Nippon 990 UNFX)
Driver Big Bertha Fusion FT-3 (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)
3 Wood ERC Fusion 3w - RGS (RCH Sys 55R)4/5 Wood Big Bertha Fusion 15D Fairway Wood (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)Bag 10.5" orange fusion tour bagPutter Scotty Cameron Newport...

• 8 months later...
I probably should, my Mizunos are starting to get banged up. When I travel I wrap a couple of towels around the irons and wedges.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course I use iron covers. If you make an investment, why not protect them?

Those are the same ones I use.

In My Bag:
Nickent Genex Cross 400cc
Big Bertha Warbird, 3 wood
Big Bertha Warbird, 5-Wood
704.cb Forged irons VIP Tour T95-56 VIP Tour T95-60 KZG Slant Neck Milled Putter Tour Deep

• 2 years later...
i find it to be a huge hassle to take them off and put them back on after every shot..

so no I dont use them.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I use iron covers because I buy, sell and trade clubs so much, they need to be kept nice.

I use these Ironarmour

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

Used them on a set of graphite shafted irons I once had.

Realized how dumb I was for doing so as well as the graphite shafted irons

Don't invision ever using either again.

I can't stand playing with or behind someone who is constantly having to fool around with the things.....misplacing them....taking them off....putting them on.....searching for them........aaaargh!!!!

Evaluate the shot, pull the right club, practice swing, set up on the ball and pull the trigger, wipe the club off and drop it in the bag.

I'll conceed that wood and putter covers are understood nessesities...in other words, "I use them so that makes them okay". Pretty arrogant, ain't I?

Actually, my next bag will have a separate putter well so my putter can be stashed without a head cover and not get marred or beat up. This alone will speed up things nicely for me.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I read on Mizuno's web site that they don't recommend using iron covers with their clubs because they retain moisture. So I don't use them.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

I have never used them and had to beg my brother to quit using them. He would take so much extra time taking them off and putting them back on .... just drove me nuts.

I've been thinking about getting some though.....I walk a lot and have a hard time keeping my clubs from making noise clanging against each other. Is this the best way to prevent that?

I read on Mizuno's web site that they don't recommend using iron covers with their clubs because they retain moisture. So I don't use them.

I also wonder about moisture?? Have thought about them, but never made the leap...invested in newer 3 wheel pull cart instead...bad left shoulder very sore after carrying for just 9 much less 18. Do have a putter cover though, did leave it off once while clubs in the trunk...now have an ugly 'smile' in the face...aarrggghhhh.

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

Dont use them, though they could be useful for travel. I find club covers in general cumbersome and inefficent. I take off my driver and hyrid covers before the round and leave it in the trunk until after im done. Just drop the club in the bag after the shot and move down the hole. No wasted motions. I dont use a 3-wood all that often so its no problem to keep that one on.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I admit I use them because I don't like my stuff scratched and all. It really isn't too difficult to use them...part of the routinue and don't take any time.

Also...when they are in the golf cart...I don't like the idea of the iron head hitting my driver shaft/head and putter head....that is just wrong. So the covers not only protect the iron heads from getting beat...it also protects the driver and putter.

I realize that clubs are tools and are meant to be used...but I don't like them to be beat either.

Note: This thread is 5310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!