IGNORED

The Golf Channel

GoingfortheGreen
Note: This thread is 6477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know we had a thread that dealt with something similar, but I really felt that this warranted a separate one.

The more I watch the Golf Channel, the more I realize how hokey of a channel they really are. Here are my major gripes:

* The channel cannot show more than one segment (approximately 5 minutes worth) before whoring themselves out to the advertisers. It’s gotten to the point that they come back on for what seems like a few minutes, then it’s back to ads!

* The selling out continues when you watch any show, whether it be Academy Live, Golf Central, etc. Leaderboard sponsored by Titliest, Business Report sponsored by Merrill Lynch, Tip of the week sponsored by Mizuno, Aerial shots sponsored by Callway, Macallan sponsoring something, etc., etc. Other big networks do this as well (ABC, NBC), but the Golf Channel has this down to an art form. To think that these guys are getting the PGA Tour in 2007 has me concerned as to whether I will have an opportunity to watch any real golf coverage…or if it will be all ads? Hell, they overly publicized some collector’s edition prints of Hoylake’s clubhouse, and this was a Golf Channel product! To think that we have to wait to see the leaderboard/results of the British Open because they decided to interview the photographer is not right.

* Their website is not that good – touting themselves as ‘Golf’s Home’ is really a shame, because there really are a lot of better alternatives.

* Enough has been said about their ‘infomercials’, so I don’t want to beat a dead horse.

Am I wrong here? Is my opinion misplaced? Should I just zip it and be grateful that we have a “24-hour” golf channel with 12 hours of ads?

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

I agree about the infomercials but what other choices do we have? It's the only game in town and it's the worst we have and the best we have. I just go to something else when the ads come on and try to hit the good parts.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I agree, it is a great channel but they are getting too fat off of the almighty advertising dollar...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

I agree with a lot of that. Some of the excessive advertisements / informercials I think are a result of the fact that TGC is still by and large a new station trying to really get started. Here in my area of the woods, only 1 cable company actually carries TGC still that I know of and even that is part of the premium lineup.

I'm largely optimistic that once the PGA contract gets into full swing, the channel's programming will get better and the informercials / ads will decrease to some extent. At least that's what I'm hoping.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Maybe this is why they were able to bid on golf and get it? Are cable channels able to show more commercials per hour than over the air channels? I do think many channels have a 6 minute block of commercials at the 1/2 hour mark. Because we use these for our needs , maybe they are trying to keep you there or to prevent surfing.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hope to high heavens that TGC stops screwing over TiVo and DVR owners.

What I mean by this is that they change their scheduling (my TiVo records what it thinks is Playing Lessons from the Pros with Geoff Ogilvy, and instead I get half of What's in the Bag and Half of an infomercial), fail to include the word "Repeat" (causing my TiVo to record 14 episodes of the 19th hole per week), and fail to include descriptions of things (same thing with Grey Goose 19th Hole).

They need to fix those things. Every other channel does it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah i've given up on the golf channel. we have it at the clubhouse and i was all excited when i started working there that i'd be able to watch it. But its boring. theres always a good movie on or i watch the jews and arabs blow each other up, much more interesting and beneficial if you ask me

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

i dont have it at home, but i did sign up for the video vault on their website ($29 per year or so).

It has a surprisingly good amount of content in it, it seems.

ok sure, its in 3 inch wide format , but i watch so little TV I dont seem to mind.

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

Note: This thread is 6477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!