IGNORED

Components of improvement

tbjohnston
Note: This thread is 5361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand why some people had a problem with the way this post was presented given the way the points were introduced.

if a 19 handicap can learn to hit a 2 iron there scores will go down because that good swing will transfer to their wedges and short irons. if your hitting you wedges and scoring irons well you will shoot low if u jsut 2 putt every hole. so it is pretty good advice

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I thought the points were nice. Some I disagree.

What I believe to be the biggest factor to being a quality golfer...TIME.

If you didn't grow up playing (like me) you have to invest alot of resouces to being good. I have put in the time in the past. I went from not breaking a 100 to shoting my career low of 75. But now that I work 40 hours a week and have a wife and family, twice a week is all I can give if that. So this year I have actually got more inconsistant, HCI went up. But I still enoy playing even if I suck.

Couldn't agree more about the irons. I am hitting less GIRs now that I have a "players cavity". Don't have the capital to go back. Sold my old irons. They do look sweet though but didn't cure my hook. The offset isn't the reason.

Wedges, I carry five, like them. I would put myself up against very strong players from 65 yards with my 64. I am so much better at that shot now with the 64. But to each there own.

If you don't lose balls, play premium. There is a difference.

Brian

Alot of what you say is good advice, but a lot of it is major generalizations. Im a "kid" and I dont like ProV1's or Noodles-- I play a TM Burner or Callaway Warbird. I hit my irons very well, better than my hybrid 90% of the time.

Hoovedawg - didn't mean to preach. Sorry if it came off that way.

Just trying to share what worked for me.

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry if it came off as "omniscent" - and it certainly wasn't meant for those of you who are low HCP and can crack a 2i 240 yards!

Regarding golf balls & kids, when I wrote kids I was thinking of children who don't yet have the distance to play the course except from the forward tees. Should have been much clearer.

Cheers

Actually I have one point I belive in not mentioned. Watch the best golfer you can hit balls. Pay attention to how they move and use their bodies. You will I believe learn more from this than you realize. I am not suggesting you try to identify positions etc., rather notice the continuous process, rythmic and consistently in the correct order that the best golfers swings have.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

like dude the best piece of advice i can give to people that are higher hcp is to hit the range and develope distance control. if you know how far you hit the ball you can confidently chose a club, also swing slower youl gain distance and acuracy, lastly dont be afraid to hit long irons because it will make you better with short irons

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

if a 19 handicap can learn to hit a 2 iron there scores will go down because that good swing will transfer to their wedges and short irons. if your hitting you wedges and scoring irons well you will shoot low if u jsut 2 putt every hole. so it is pretty good advice

That is the opposite of conventional advise as more lofted clubs are easiest to get airborne and easier to hit straight therefore people who have problems hitting their irons are encouraged to start with the lofted clubs.

I would be genuinely surprised if upon a survey of x number of improved players, that any associated practice focused around a 2 iron as the source of their improvement from 19 handicap-12. Yet you stumble upon the apt piece of advice about the scoring irons/short game where the handicap will really come down, so why not just practice them?
like dude the best piece of advice i can give to people that are higher hcp is to hit the range and develope distance control. if you know how far you hit the ball you can confidently chose a club, also swing slower youl gain distance and acuracy, lastly dont be afraid to hit long irons because it will make you better with short irons

If I swing slower my ball doesn't go as far.

Note: This thread is 5361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!