IGNORED

The longest round in the history of golf

Able Hands
Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a foursome round back in december (there was snow on the course and the lakes were frozen with at least 2 inches of ice) which lasted between 6 and 7 hours. We weren't playing slowly, I think everyone was a bit frozen up that day as there was a fairly long queue at the tee's and there was always a group in front and a group behind.

I played yesterday, and 3 of us walked 18 holes in just over 4 hours. We let a group and a single in carts through as we were playing twilight time. It would've been quicker but the walks between some holes were ridiculous. The first 3 and a half holes took an hour! Still, I'd like to play the course again but definitely in a cart this time!

X-31 (Driver, 3 Wood, 3+4 Hybrids, 5-SW irons, Putter)
52 and 60 degree spin grind wedges
Balls: a big mixture of anything cheap, found, or given to me!

I'm interested to know how many courses allow 5 people out at a time. Over here (Ireland) that's not allowed, and if a round is going to take 7 hours I can see why. It's good that you let people through, but I'm surprised you weren't ask to break up the group

Unfortunately, over here it's a common practice, and tradition and common sense, which seems to prevail across the ocean, doesn't usually prevail here. The excuse is always "we make them get 3 carts" (i.e., additional green fees speak louder than inconvenience for the rest of the players). So, tough to get courses to do anything about it, if they are allowed to tee off in the first place. Courses should split them up, and people that have respect for other players shouldn't play in fivesomes (let alone play 18 holes in over 7 hours).

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Yea that's just not right. I get mad if I play a round in more than 3 1/2 hours.

Me and my friend gabe routinely play a round in about 2 hours 45 minutes. Driving a cart, that is. Walking, I'll play a round with a foursome for our high school golf team in about 3 hours 45 minutes.

But 7 1/2 hours man?!

Im disappointed in you....

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Longest I've had was 6 hours at some corporate tournament through work. The average handicap was probably around 20 something, 4-some flights and I think it was 20 flights on the 18 hole course. We had some waiting, but spent a lot of time walking and looking for balls struck here and there. The course was not marked, so we had a 15 minute extra walk the wrong way. It was a long way from green to tee on many of the holes.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Playing in a group of five is not something that I have ever done before. I can guarantee that I'll never do it again.

I do work (for free golf) for the course as a handyman, and I'm friendly with the assistant, and general managers of the course. I think that is the main reason we were allowed to go out as a group of five. Also the course is in the process of rebuilding it's clientele so it is generally a quiet place. If the course had been full, we would have voluntarily broken into two groups.

Was it irresponsible to play in a group of five? I don't believe so on this course on this day. Would I try to do it at a high volume course? Absolutely not. I looked at the sign in sheet at the end of it all, and there was only an additional 4 or 5 groups that went out after us. As I said we let all of them play through us, and as such we did not hold anyone up for more than about a minute. None of the groups was back-to-back, so we did not cause a pile up either.

In the end, who did we hurt? No one! Well, no one but ourselves.

Matt Schnurbusch

In the Bag:
Driver 9.5* XS Tour Square
Fairway Launcher 17*Irons X18R 4-SWWedge REG. 588 60*Putter Crimson Series 550Ball GamerGlove F3 Glove

Certainly sounds like for the conditions of play, etc. it shouldn't have been a big deal for anyone out there that day, but, seriously, how does it take that long?

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

As long as you guys realize how bad and slow you play and let EVERYBODY pass i couldnt care less if you played the 18 from sunrise to sunset.
Its your time.....

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

once we started out as a group of 8 on a local course but split up into 2 groups of 4 after 3 holes, that was last year, back when I first started and didnt realize how bad that was. Im to the point now that I hate playing in more than a group of 2 anymore as it takes so long to play in foursomes. I played a couple weeks ago in a foursome with a new person who hadnt played in a long time and another friend who hadnt played in a couple months. I played poorly myself as I lost concentration waiting so long. My one friend still played pretty good but was getting frustrated with the slow play and had to let several groups play throught, took about 3 1/2 hours to play 9, about twice what it usually takes for 2 of us to play and many times can play 18 in that amount of time with a twosome. I played my worst all year. I dont think ill ever do that again.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Groups of five that back up the course are nerve wracking....shouldn't be allowed....even if they are letting folks play through.

I have very little patience for such conditions.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, went out with the family for a Tuesday night 2 person best shot (you all call scramble, I believe), my wife and I playing with each of our two daughters. We catch up to a twosome (also playing best shot) by the fourth hole and ended up waiting forever after for them to finish. Never thought I'd be held up by a twosome, while playing in a foursome, especially in that format. By the time we got done another foursome behind us was sitting with us on every tee and passing time waiting for them to get far enough along on every hole so we wouldn't have to wait hours in the fairway. I can't imagine how long it would have taken if two others were playing with them.

Just goes to show it isn't necessarily the size of the group, and I really believe they still would have been slow but possibly a little faster playing their own balls. BUT, no course with integrity should allow fivesomes during peak hours and it is way too common.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!