IGNORED

Steve Stricker's swing

azflying
Note: This thread is 5303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Johnny Miller made a big deal about the simplicity of Steve Stricker's swing...all true. What I can't figure out is how he hits the ball "tour distance" with minimal use of his wrists.

So he has a quick, strong body turn and doesn't need wrist hinge...great...I just can't see amateurs without those physical gifts adopting his swing as Miller prognosticates will happen in the future.

What does everyone else think?

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

His wrists do hinge at the top of the back swing and he creates a good amount of lag. Plus, he gets through the ball with a complete body turn. His swing, like Ernie's, is very smooth yet powerful.

Last week and this week he had a couple of drives that carried nearly 300 yards. Personally, when someone says "swing easy and hit it hard" I think of him, Els and Freddy Couples.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

johnny miller is a good announcer, hes knowledgable and everything. But sometimes the stuff he says makes you scratch your head and wonder what he was thinking. He says some stupid things sometimes. Now im not saying what he said about strickers swing is stupid. Just overall

Driver r7 Superquad 9.5 degrees
3Wood 904F 15 degrees
Hybrid 585H 19 degrees
Irons R540xd 4-PW
wedges 52,56,60 degreesPutter iseries 1/2 CrazEBalls Prov1x

He does hinge his wrists, but very late and not by much, at the very top.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Stricker does hinge his wrists. He just doesnt go parallel at the top. Its a great way to hit irons, or anything off the deck in general.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My original post said "minimal" wrist hinge, not "no" hinge. Not to start a debate about exactly how much hinge Stricker has, but he is no Bubba Watson. uttexas, I assume you posted a picture, sorry I can not see it and it may clearly illustrate either point. I agree Stricker hits the ball a long way, I just can't see amateurs getting acceptable distance results by changing their own swing.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

I believe he generates Tour power by having a very right hand dominated swing. His left wrist doesn't hinge much (seems to just go along for the ride during the swing). If you are able to see the videos above, he really unhinges and pronates his right forearm and wrist at impact. Needless to say, he has great extention of both arms at impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I think it's an interesting point and the swing video tells it all. I had someone at lunch trying to tell me how Stricker had no wrist cock, etc. and I was hoping to stumble on some video. Thanks.

Clearly his wrists are cocked (he's no Sergio). To the eye going back, you don't see much in his takeaway when watching on TV, but look at the lag! He is no pendulum.

It's his impact position I wish I had, the rest is getting there somehow.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I disagree with someone that says that isn't enough lag to hit it plenty far. Look at that driver swing in the above post and the way he hits down on the ball in the iron shot. If he didn't hinge and unhinge his wrist there is no way he could be a great ball striker.

I think anyone on here would kill for that move. (of course he is on tour and highly successful)

Brian

Being an old fart, I have been working on a swing like strickers because of the lack of flexability that comes along with being 61. I actually can re-create his swing to a degree however, it's very difficult not to arm swing (not let my arms swing freely) using this method. I'm continuing to work on it and from time to time I can actually perform this swing exceptionally well. I, of course don't have tour ditance but my actual ball stiking ability is improved while working on it.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

My swing is alot like Strickers. I never noticed his swing before and alot of people comment on how I dont have my wrists hinge much. I still also dont see how he can hit it as far as he does haha. I do not have much distance compared to some of the people I play with.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

...man...I wish I could see the posted video. I'll have to check my home computer tonight. thanks for posting.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW

It baffled me, too.

The video posted does help show where the power is generated.

On of the guys I play routinely with has a very simular swing as Strick's. He stays very balanced and doesn't seem to go after it so hard...but hits it out there very nicely. I seem to have to use a "kill-it" swing to beat him with my driver.

So many ways to do it....this is just more evidence that the smooth way is great.

I was happy for him on his win. He did very well, although he did get a lucky kick on the drive on that one drive....it looked dead in the rough and then squirted out nicely...same thing that Tiger was getting away with at times, too. Standing on the 18th tee knowing that birdie was needed for a win...nice drive....sweet hybrid....chip and putt and then a smile. Very nice round of golf.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

IMO he has a very boring swing. But the way he uses his body more then the smaller muscle gets him be super accurate and generated enough power. Hes definately an interesting player.

Im glad he won on monday. I didnt know this his putting is rank #1 in PGA this year.
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

It was good to see him finish a tournament the way he did. He really should have won at least 2 other tournaments I can think of, and a couple of others almost, but for some bad shots in the last round and/or the closing holes.

He has had a great year, and although I don't get into the player of the year kind of stuff, he is deserving of consideration right there with you know who.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

He gets great shoulder turn, creates a good amount of lag and makes very high quality ball contact. Distance is about "smash factor". Your ball speed should be 150% of your club head speed. And this is only accomplished by hitting cleanly in the sweet spot. My teacher when I was younger had me hit shag balls for a whole summer with my feet completely together to learn proper turn. You'd be suprised how far a 6 iron will go with your feet together when you're forced to use good tempo and make high quality contact.
"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, 'A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish."

909 D3 Diamana Blueboard 63g
909 F2 3 Wood
MP-57's 4-pwIdea Pro 2 and 3 iron hybridsTour-W 52 deg wedge Tour-W 56 deg wedge2 Ball center shaft putterProV1

He gets great shoulder turn, creates a good amount of lag and makes very high quality ball contact. Distance is about "smash factor". Your ball speed should be 150% of your club head speed. And this is only accomplished by hitting cleanly in the sweet spot. My teacher when I was younger had me hit shag balls for a whole summer with my feet completely together to learn proper turn. You'd be suprised how far a 6 iron will go with your feet together when you're forced to use good tempo and make high quality contact.

Classic and great drill, by the way. When I first started taking lessons after 20 years of playing without any, this is the one drill that seemed to help me "get it". Helps with swinging back and through and not coming over the top, at least for me. In fact, I was so frustrated this evening I decided it would be feet together for at least two bags tomorrow.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Yep, I still put the feet together at the range if I get a little out of whack.
"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, 'A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish."

909 D3 Diamana Blueboard 63g
909 F2 3 Wood
MP-57's 4-pwIdea Pro 2 and 3 iron hybridsTour-W 52 deg wedge Tour-W 56 deg wedge2 Ball center shaft putterProV1

Note: This thread is 5303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!