IGNORED

Jacket/Outerwear Reccomendations?

Note: This thread is 5360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am planning on playing on into the fall/winter this year, which will be new to me. Can anybody reccomend a windbreaker/jacket type garment that you can comfortably swing a club in? We are talking 50deg and sunny would be my lower limit for enjoying myself. I would like a windproof softshell if there is one out there with enough mobility to it. Any ideas/tips good or bad would be appreciated.

In my bag:
Burner 9.5
G15 3 wood
Rapture 21
I-10's 3-PW Rifle 6.0 Vokey 56 Oil Can Eye2 58 Newport ProV1x

Look at the Zero Restriction outer wear, they are a little on the expensive side but last a life time and are really geared to the golfer. Keep an eye on The Golf Warehouse, they always have great sales on ZR clothing.

http://www.zerorestriction.com/

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

How well do you handle 50* weather? If you're comfortable doing so, I suggest looking at Ping sweaters. They make really nice V neck and Crew neck sweaters. Last year, I purchased one from TGW for $20. Loose and comfortable with no restriction.

You may also want to consider the Nike Wind vest. They are lined and waterproof. Again, fit somewhat loose and very easy to swing a golf club in.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Wind proof and moisture wicking are the keys for me.

I have a very light black (take all the solar heat I can + matches almost anything) golf rainsweater that has sleeves that zip off both below the elbow and again at the shoulder. I can wear a normal short sleeved golf polo underneath and be very comfortable in the 50's.

An UnderArmor coldwear shirt can be added as the first layer for comfort in the 40's and you'll not be overly encumbered.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Another vote here for thin layers. You don't have to break the bank to do so. Walmart is a fine place to start. Look for poly blends that will keep you warm and wick away any sweat that might develop. Avoid cotton at all cost, especially next to the skin. I was able to drop my minimum temperature of play from 50* to almost 40* (sunny no wind) by throwing the cottons out of the rotation. Add a tight outer shell with a tight weave and you are good for windy conditions as well.

I would recomend going a size smaller than you think you need. This seems uncomfotable at first. My first insticts was to look for something that gave me a huge range of motion. Loose clothes actual restricted me in the long run. Jmho, if my layers fit tighter, they actually feel like a second skin. Good luck, and once again stay away from bulky cottons.

Thanks for all the info. I will check out the zerorestriction stuff. And the vests seem like a good idea too. I can take the 50's pretty well. My last 20 winters have been spent in the deer stand. I am more worried about being able to swing the club. I've got some underarmor and patagonia synthetic tops that will work for layering.

In my bag:
Burner 9.5
G15 3 wood
Rapture 21
I-10's 3-PW Rifle 6.0 Vokey 56 Oil Can Eye2 58 Newport ProV1x

If I play in the cold, I like to wear plenty of layers. I start tight close to the body and the last couple are oversized. For me anyway, I keep warm and can still swing. If you normally wear large shirts and jackets, get a few that are XL so they fit much looser and give you a better range of motion when combined.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

You should also check out Sun Ice as well. I bought one of their Gortex jacket last fall and just love it. Totally waterproof, and is great on cool days because it breathes so well. They are pricey but they will last you a long time.

Here is a link.

http://www.sunice.com/golf/2009/

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I usually just throw an under armour on under my short sleeve golf polo or wear a long sleeved mock turtle or polo, then add a light fleece or golf vest... if it's too cold for that (less than 50*) I'll wait a couple days to play. I used to play in the 40's when I lived in MI, and then sweaters and jackets become necessary, and I hate having that much clothes on to golf in.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!