IGNORED

Distance

Titleist Man
Note: This thread is 5326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i didnt realize you are godly accurate thats truely impressive that you can hit 100% firs.

It was one round. I don't do that all the time but have done it a few times. Hitting fairways is by far the strongest part of my game. Same with accuracy with my 3-7 iron.

My wedge game is awful, when I last played 18 holes, I doubled the 10th and 11th hole from the middle of the fairway less than 100 yards out. Four times I made bogey or double from the middle of the fairway within 100 yards of the green including the two I mentioned above. I am much more likely to hit the green with a 5 iron than a wedge, it's pathetic. And don't get me started on my putting, it's worse than my wedge game. Granted, I am just getting back into the game seriously after years of not being able to play due to a medical problem. My opinion is anyone can hit fairways if they only hit the ball 230.

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

It was one round. I don't do that all the time but have done it a few times. Hitting fairways is by far the strongest part of my game. Same with accuracy with my 3-7 iron.

its true. if you want the best tip i ever got and pay $80 for at a lesson. take a 3/4 swing with your wedges at the most.

i can hit my sand wedge 130 if i have to but i will never take my sand wedge from over 100 yards. i promice if you only swing until your arm is paralell to the ground you will hit so many greens

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

its true. if you want the best tip i ever got and pay $80 for at a lesson. take a 3/4 swing with your wedges at the most.

I have a pro that works with me on increasing distance with my driver and hitting greens with my wedge. The distance might never come since I can't extend my left arm very well. Still, as time goes on and we get farther from the surgeries and car accidents, the flexibility is slowly coming back.

I will try the 3/4 swing. Thanks for the advice. People have also suggested just hitting a 5 wood off the tea and leaving a 7 iron to the greens. When I playing strictly for score that's an option. Personally, I would rather get my wedge game where it needs to be than play around it. You can play around missing fairways, or missing greens. You can't play around a bad short game - it's a killer.

Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

I have a pro that works with me on increasing distance with my driver and hitting greens with my wedge. The distance might never come since I can't extend my left arm very well. Still, as time goes on and we get farther from the surgeries and car accidents, the flexibility is slowly coming back.

that is so true. i shot 36 the other day and hit like 1/9 fairways and like 4/9 greens. its all short game

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

I see many of the guys I play with take way too much of a backswing with a wedge. I used to do the same thing. It's like mentally you think because the club is shorter that you must hit it harder.

For example, I used to take a full swing with my SW and would hit it about 80 yards max. Once I started taking a smooth 3/4 swing (which made my contact better) I now get 100 yards max out of it and I am hitting my smooth LW about 70-75 max. The shorter more fundamentally sound swing works wonders....on every club

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My short irons, specifically the 9 iron and wedges are much shorter than my other clubs. I hit the rest with a normal gap between clubs but when I get to the 9 iron and wedges they get a lot shorter.

My usual swing with all clubs is 80%, and I rarely overswing because it could end my playing for months if I tweak something (my neck is largely made of metal screws, plates and staples).

Thanks for the all the help guys. Hopefully, you're helping the guy who opened the thread. I feel like I kinda hijacked this one on him and I feel bad. Still, the advice given is good for everyone. He asked how better players score well, and I think we've nailed it since it's pretty well known that the short game is everything.

Chipping, putting and wedge play is the end all be all. I can hit every fairway, but if I can't get up and down when I miss a green it's a lot worse than missing a fairway. The only way I know to fix that is practice, practice, practice. Which I need to do.

that is so true. i shot 36 the other day and hit like 1/9 fairways and like 4/9 greens. its all short game

how on earth do you miss the first two fairways at cyprian keys? lol jk

These are the hardest ones to play against! They may now be

He said in his post he was a scratch golfer at 70.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

how on earth do you miss the first two fairways at cyprian keys? lol jk

it was at wachusett and i missed 1 left, 3. left, 5 left, 7. left, 8 left, 9 left. atleast i was consistant.

the only fwy i hit was 2 edit: but my longest aproach shot was an 8 iron and they have some 450 yrd holes

Although I'm a horrible golfer, I have changed my mind on distance off the tee since playing with a 70 year old man. He didn't hit the ball long at all, 200 yard max, and shot scratch for the round. I would outdrive him by 70 or 80 yards, but I shot 100ish, he shot 72. 200 yard drive, 150 yard near the green, nice chip or pitch, and one putt.

Great little story.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Note: This thread is 5326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!