IGNORED

Golf wrist pain

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 2415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

currently dealing with some wrist pain in left wrist (left handed golfer) which I feel the most at the top of the backswing when my wrist is bent back supporting the club.  it tends to feel better in a few days, and then returns the next time I practice.  I feel fairly confident that it's just a strain and I should probably just take a few weeks off from golf, but it's so hard when you loooooooooooove it so much.  luckily the pain is more of a nuisance than debilitating, but obviously that can change if I try to play through it. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

I write for a living, so I have to spend hours per day at a keyboard. (A very ergonomic one, I might add.) I'm also playing a 9-hole par 3 every other morning. When I switched from hitting foam balls to hitting real ones into my net at home, my hands began to hurt within a few days. (I hit at least 100+ balls a day, in batches of 20 each session.) Ice and a couple days rest fixed it, and I stopped hitting real balls at home.

Because I cannot afford downtime from writing, I have chosen to be a picker rather than a digger, in order to decrease the likelihood of stressing my hands/wrists. The decision will likely decrease my chances of playing to my potential, but I'm okay with that, as the reason I started playing was to get more exercise doing something that I enjoy and can likely do for the rest of my life. (Ice hockey is rough on an old man's body.)

8 hours ago, Rykymus said:

I write for a living, so I have to spend hours per day at a keyboard. (A very ergonomic one, I might add.) I'm also playing a 9-hole par 3 every other morning. When I switched from hitting foam balls to hitting real ones into my net at home, my hands began to hurt within a few days. (I hit at least 100+ balls a day, in batches of 20 each session.) Ice and a couple days rest fixed it, and I stopped hitting real balls at home.

Because I cannot afford downtime from writing, I have chosen to be a picker rather than a digger, in order to decrease the likelihood of stressing my hands/wrists. The decision will likely decrease my chances of playing to my potential, but I'm okay with that, as the reason I started playing was to get more exercise doing something that I enjoy and can likely do for the rest of my life. (Ice hockey is rough on an old man's body.)

you might be able to build yourself up to hitting that many balls. but it might take a while.  I go to the range at most twice a week and have been playing a round as well. 60 ball buckets at the range and another 40-50 full shots during a round, and even I'm dealing with wrist pain. I imagine most pros have developed those muscles over time and have that endurance to hit 100 balls a day or more.  viijay singh was legendary for the amount of time he put in hitting balls at the range.  But conversely, sometimes less can be more.  More important than the amount you practice will always be the quality of your practice.  You can hit 5 shots at the range and probably get more out of it than a full bucket depending on how you approach each shot you take, and what you do in between each one. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

Note: This thread is 2415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!