IGNORED

Pain in Right Ribs - Torn Intercostal Muscle?

Ash1974

Update:

Its been a week now since I realized the trouble i was in with this injury. I haven't taken so much as even a half swing since, but silly things keep re-aggravating the pain... like snow... we had our biggest snowfall of the year a few days ago and I had to shovel a bunch of snow from the driveway and sidewalk. Not good for healing! Also, sneezing... it sounds silly, but there's something about the expansion of the chest that occurs when sneezing that really causes the pain to flare up.

I've been icing like crazy which seems to help the most, tried bengay... doesn't work. So far it doesn't seem like this injury is healing at all. I'm really gonna be ticked if I spend the remainder of the pre-season sidelined with this nonsense.

Add me to the list.  I felt the first twinge almost two weeks ago but the pain wasn't horrible.  Went out 4 days later with only some slight pain.  I had a tough shot from a green side bunker where the ball was just below the lip of the bunker.  I took a full swing and club caught the lip of bunker and stopped.  The pain felt like someone stabbed me with a knife in my ribs on the left side.  I tried to work through it at the range this past Saturday and after a few slow practice swings, the pain was too severe to continue.  I've been nursing it since, lots of ice and just today got to the point where I can sleep without waking up in pain every time I move and can take a deep breath without wincing.

I'm just curious what the average recovery time to get back to swinging a club, seems like 3 weeks is about average on this thread.

@newtogolf : I gotta ask, how long was the recovery process for you? How long before you got back to full speed with your swing? I don't need to get back to full speed just yet, but I'd really like to at least be able to pull off half and easy 3/4 swings to continue engraining my swing changes without risking re-injury. Right now, I don't feel I'm anywhere near that.

:censored:

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

So its been almost a month since the injury first occurred. I had been playing it smart since then, resting, not swinging, but the pain wasn't going anywhere. It would subside for a day maybe, but then I would do something normal, like sneeze or cough, and it would flare right back up again.

So long story short, I figured, if every natural thing I do is going to keep this injury from healing on the fast track, I might as well start swinging the club again. So last week I went back to hitting at the indoor range. started off at about 60%, and gradually worked my way up to about 80% of my normal swing.... results were not bad at all! It wasn't pain free, but the pain did not increase over time, it actually quieted down a bit.

So since then I have been getting closer and closer to my previous form. Today was a really good day swinging the club. I was able to hit it real solid and things were feeling pretty good. Again, not pain free, but the pain has been slowly reducing since I started using those muscles swinging the club again.

I have an appointment with the PT tomorrow, which I may even cancel, but if I end up going, I'll make one or two more updates here and provide any pertinent details.

IN MY BAG

It probably would be best to rest and not stress the muscle where you hurt when you start to notice pain and that something is not right. This way you probably won't have any further issues keeping you away for longer. than if it keeps hurting while you have rested for a while, i would recommend seeing a doctor.

I had golf elbow, problems with tendons in my knees, pulled muscles in my rib cage,  playing was painful. Found a nano gold product that solved all my problems in 8 days. I am new to this site not sure if I am allowed to recommend a product, let me know your thoughts.

It probably would be best to rest and not stress the muscle where you hurt when you start to notice pain and that something is not right. This way you probably won't have any further issues keeping you away for longer. than if it keeps hurting while you have rested for a while, i would recommend seeing a doctor.

I did that for the first few weeks... and like I said, it wasn't helping anything. However, since I resumed my regular exercise and swing practice, the pain has been greatly reduced. My appointment with the PT basically confirmed my observations. After describing the nature of the pain and the patterns, his recommendation was to keep working it out. He even gave me rotational exercises that he wants me to perform every couple of hours. He thinks its less muscular and more disc displacement which is why I notice a decrease in pain when I'm using it.

I had golf elbow, problems with tendons in my knees, pulled muscles in my rib cage,  playing was painful. Found a nano gold product that solved all my problems in 8 days. I am new to this site not sure if I am allowed to recommend a product, let me know your thoughts.

not my call, but sounds suspect imo

IN MY BAG

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.  I would like to share my experience and solution of an intercostal strain with everyone. My apologies in advance for any grammatical errors.

On January 1  I strained my intercostal muscle on the right side.  The pain was a nag at first but  I continued to hit balls the following days, and the pain worsened. It became so severe that I couldn't move or cough.  The bad news is that I had a planned golfing vacation to Florida the first week of February. With plans to play at Trump Doral, I was frantically searching the internet for a solution.

I first contacted a Chiropractor and made an appointment but after searching the internet I found where someone had good results with a soft massage technique call Graston.  It basically uses some metal instruments rubbed on the area to realign the tissue and then heals back in the correct orientation.  An internet search located a provider in my area that is certified for the Graston method. I cancelled the chiropactor appointment and made one for the Graston Technique with the PT.

On my first appointment, I explaind to the PT that I had a golf trip in 3 weeks and needed to be ready by then. Now please remember that I would consider my strain to be extreme. For a bit of time, the pain confined me to bed with no movement for about 3 days. After the first treatment I felt a little better and he said to come back in 2 days.  The day after the second appointment, I was a little sore  and bruised from the treatment but the strained area felt much better.  4 days and I go back for the 3rd treatment after which am 95% better and able to hit balls. The reatment was completed in 2 weeks with 1 week before my vactioin.  I was able to hit balls with just a tin bit of pain but nothing to uncomfortable.

At this point I'm wondering if it was the Graston treatment or  did I just get better on my own. Not sure but the treatment sure seemed to help and the vaction was awesome!

Fast forward to last week.  I strained the intercostal again ( I have a tendancy ot hit way to many balls at the driving range).  This time, I listened to my body and did not continue to hit balls.  The pain got worse the next day and could not swing a club without moderate to severe pain but, nothing like the first strain.  I called my PT for an appointment but was notified that he had retired. I found a chiropractor who was certified in Graston Technique and mad an appointment the next day. 2 days after the treatment, I was back to hitting ball with just a tiny bit of pain.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that the Graston Technique saved my golf season and definitely helped relieve the pain associated with this condition.

Heare is a link to the website I used to find someone certified in Graston  http://www.grastontechnique.com/

• 5 years later...

Oh boy, victim # 94,648 today and going through this thread makes me feel at home lol... Like others, creating a new account just to comment here! xD

Due to covid, I had to put aside bowling (24 years of it! - I am 36 years old), and Golf is thee perrrrrrrfect sport for these social distance measures!! 

My dad taught me how to swing a club back in 1995-1996 and I got to borrow some clubs everytime I played - which wasn't much, just for leisure or summers spent in San Francisco or Vancouver. - it was always fun, but I was too busy bowling leagues and tournaments to ever consider buying my own clubs and taking golf more seriously.

Covid happens, and in October 2020 I get bit by the Golf bug. I am SO IN LOVE WITH THIS SPORT now and have become addicted!!!! - From buying used gear on OfferUp, eBay, etc and trying them out on the range/course >> to the freedom trotting golf cart trips from shot to shot, hole to hole feeling the wind while sippin' some brewski >> to the bad shots and glorified feeling of making good shots afterwards. I wish I played alot more golf and took it more seriously in my younger days...

First notice - Wednesday 11/4/2020 

At the driving range with my cousin testing out a new driver (new driver test is like trying out a new girl lol!!). Was hitting just fine and casually as usual and able to reach the back fence from carry alone - a good 20-30yards further from previous old driver... just happy with the new piece =) >>> Down to my last 15 balls of the 135 ball large bucket, I hear another golfer emphatically destroy a few balls off the tee, and see his shots flying well over the fence in awe.... You know what I'm thinking..! let me try that!! lol >xP.. swinging for the fence pretty much happy-gilmore-like off balance finish to cater towards blind, irresponsible power - somewhere within those last 8 shots, I felt like a tiny nano bomb ignite in my right rib cage somewhere on my downswing. Felt it, but it wasn't enough hurt to stop from finishing the bucket... I did manage to hit over the fence 3 times, but considering what I am going through now, definite no brainer to be doing whacky stuff like that - and welp I am just getting older.

... Following day (Thursday) I am feeling like my right rib cage is lightly bruised and wifey giving me remarks that I am a grunting bear lol .. I didn't think much of it other than some soreness >>>> 

Final Notice - Friday 11/6

Late to a 7am tee-time on a 18hole course with many par 4's and 5's. Absolutely no time to stretch or take any practice/warm up shots, I tee off and definitely feel super soreness from the right rib cage... By the 3rd hole, 2nd shot I start expressing some pain and anguish but play through it (telling myself, a Lakers fan since I can first watch TV - "what would Kobe do?". I finish the front 9 with a personal best on that course (3rd visit) but by the 2nd shot on the back 9 , I was a dead man walking.

Every single bump on the course driven over in the cart made me cringe as the pain on right rib cage felt like it was part of the golf cart suspension >_< .. I willed my way to finish my worst on that back 9 and knew it was excuseable due to the pain. Once I loaded up the gear into the car and sat in the driver seat, I internet searched my symptoms and found this gold mine of a thread that put me at some ease because for a moment I thought I had a tumor or something lol.

After going through the whole thread, I realize I shouldn't have went golfing today and rested it. For sure I had aggravated the injury and am saddened that it may take weeks, months, years to recover from this. Not sure how I will be able to handle the withdrawals being away from the range or courses, but I'll keep educating myself on the sport and rehabilitate as best as I can to give myself to give me a shot at longevity at the sport I can see myself playing til forever. 

Cheers to bumping this over 5 years later lol 

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Pain in Right Ribs - Torn Intercostal Muscle?
11 hours ago, MizunoBro said:

Oh boy, victim # 94,648 today and going through this thread makes me feel at home lol... Like others, creating a new account just to comment here! xD

Due to covid, I had to put aside bowling (24 years of it! - I am 36 years old), and Golf is thee perrrrrrrfect sport for these social distance measures!! 

My dad taught me how to swing a club back in 1995-1996 and I got to borrow some clubs everytime I played - which wasn't much, just for leisure or summers spent in San Francisco or Vancouver. - it was always fun, but I was too busy bowling leagues and tournaments to ever consider buying my own clubs and taking golf more seriously.

Covid happens, and in October 2020 I get bit by the Golf bug. I am SO IN LOVE WITH THIS SPORT now and have become addicted!!!! - From buying used gear on OfferUp, eBay, etc and trying them out on the range/course >> to the freedom trotting golf cart trips from shot to shot, hole to hole feeling the wind while sippin' some brewski >> to the bad shots and glorified feeling of making good shots afterwards. I wish I played alot more golf and took it more seriously in my younger days...

First notice - Wednesday 11/4/2020 

At the driving range with my cousin testing out a new driver (new driver test is like trying out a new girl lol!!). Was hitting just fine and casually as usual and able to reach the back fence from carry alone - a good 20-30yards further from previous old driver... just happy with the new piece 😃 >>> Down to my last 15 balls of the 135 ball large bucket, I hear another golfer emphatically destroy a few balls off the tee, and see his shots flying well over the fence in awe.... You know what I'm thinking..! let me try that!! lol >xP.. swinging for the fence pretty much happy-gilmore-like off balance finish to cater towards blind, irresponsible power - somewhere within those last 8 shots, I felt like a tiny nano bomb ignite in my right rib cage somewhere on my downswing. Felt it, but it wasn't enough hurt to stop from finishing the bucket... I did manage to hit over the fence 3 times, but considering what I am going through now, definite no brainer to be doing whacky stuff like that - and welp I am just getting older.

... Following day (Thursday) I am feeling like my right rib cage is lightly bruised and wifey giving me remarks that I am a grunting bear lol .. I didn't think much of it other than some soreness >>>> 

Final Notice - Friday 11/6

Late to a 7am tee-time on a 18hole course with many par 4's and 5's. Absolutely no time to stretch or take any practice/warm up shots, I tee off and definitely feel super soreness from the right rib cage... By the 3rd hole, 2nd shot I start expressing some pain and anguish but play through it (telling myself, a Lakers fan since I can first watch TV - "what would Kobe do?". I finish the front 9 with a personal best on that course (3rd visit) but by the 2nd shot on the back 9 , I was a dead man walking.

Every single bump on the course driven over in the cart made me cringe as the pain on right rib cage felt like it was part of the golf cart suspension >_< .. I willed my way to finish my worst on that back 9 and knew it was excuseable due to the pain. Once I loaded up the gear into the car and sat in the driver seat, I internet searched my symptoms and found this gold mine of a thread that put me at some ease because for a moment I thought I had a tumor or something lol.

After going through the whole thread, I realize I shouldn't have went golfing today and rested it. For sure I had aggravated the injury and am saddened that it may take weeks, months, years to recover from this. Not sure how I will be able to handle the withdrawals being away from the range or courses, but I'll keep educating myself on the sport and rehabilitate as best as I can to give myself to give me a shot at longevity at the sport I can see myself playing til forever. 

Cheers to bumping this over 5 years later lol 

Intercostal muscle strains can take a while to heal because you can’t fully rest or isolate the muscle. I’ve had them, as well as broken ribs. R.I.C.E., rest, ice, compression, elevation, is what is usually recommended for muscle strains and sprains. Ice the area for the first two or three days and try not to aggravate it. Then do heat and ice cycling three or four times a day. That will help healing. It hard to get a compression wrap on the area, but I have done it. And lastly, be patient. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

26 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Intercostal muscle strains can take a while to heal because you can’t fully rest or isolate the muscle. I’ve had them, as well as broken ribs. R.I.C.E., rest, ice, compression, elevation, is what is usually recommended for muscle strains and sprains. Ice the area for the first two or three days and try not to aggravate it. Then do heat and ice cycling three or four times a day. That will help healing. It hard to get a compression wrap on the area, but I have done it. And lastly, be patient. 

All good advice; the compression wrap is ok for temporarily relieving a bad spell of pain, but is nowadays discouraged for continual use as the reduced air passage through the lungs creates an environment where pneumonia can/does occasionally occur.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

41 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

All good advice; the compression wrap is ok for temporarily relieving a bad spell of pain, but is nowadays discouraged for continual use as the reduced air passage through the lungs creates an environment where pneumonia can/does occasionally occur.

Thanks for your expertise. I only wore compression when I had to do something I knew would aggravate it. I cracked ribs bike racing a couple of times. Sneezing sucked!

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 year later...

so i had a bike accident about 3 weeks ago.  over the handlebars, ribs into other bikes sprocket. felt like it was getting better a few days later. played golf a week later and felt nothing from ribs until 10th hole and a full lob wedge from100 yds. on follow thru i felt 2 pops in those ribs and felt like i was shot in the ribs. x-ray showed no fracture. no real diagnosis. just told me to take ibuprofin and heat pad. 1st week after this if i sneezed it was tramautic. thats now gone away but still really sore and gun-shy to try to play golf which is killing me. any suggestions?

2 hours ago, sundvl20 said:

so i had a bike accident about 3 weeks ago.  over the handlebars, ribs into other bikes sprocket. felt like it was getting better a few days later. played golf a week later and felt nothing from ribs until 10th hole and a full lob wedge from100 yds. on follow thru i felt 2 pops in those ribs and felt like i was shot in the ribs. x-ray showed no fracture. no real diagnosis. just told me to take ibuprofin and heat pad. 1st week after this if i sneezed it was tramautic. thats now gone away but still really sore and gun-shy to try to play golf which is killing me. any suggestions?

1.  This thread is a year old

2. intercostal strains or their sister costochondritis/cartilage injuries are super common. Obviously, go get checked out with a physical exam, but these things take 6-12 weeks to settle sometimes.  Be patient, work on chipping & putting until things start to improve. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny