IGNORED

Question for people who have played ultra-exclusive courses like...

Happy Dragon
Note: This thread is 5344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so second question .. how do you get onto these "ultra-exclusives" do you know a guy ? you can't possibly know a guy at every single course so i imagine there was some finagling here or there? how'd you go about it.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

so second question .. how do you get onto these "ultra-exclusives" do you know a guy ? you can't possibly know a guy at every single course so i imagine there was some finagling here or there? how'd you go about it.

I second this question. Do tell.

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

I not the one you are asking, but I have gotten onto some exclusive course, because 1. I know a member 2. had my own club pro arrange it for me (funny thing about this is a few times it was "no charge" as favour to another club / pro)

I would assume it would be the same for the ULTRA exclusive courses
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

I cannot really answer "how do you get on these types of courses." I suppose some are born with a golden spoon in their mouths, but that certainly was not me -- by a long shot. I was just a lucky guy, for the most part.

My guess is most have to earn the invitations (and/or memberships) by their hard work and contributions to society that others recognize -- the old fashioned way. I'm not a Pollyanna type so I know not every privileged person has earned their opportunities, and not every derserving person gets rewarded, but I am a believer in paying your dues to your community and fellowmen (and women.) In a time when many believe everything is "rigged" and there are "haves" and "have nots," I rejected that idea as not very useful and tried to do the things that helped and supported others... along the way, many friends returned the favor and allowed me to experience a lot of things I never dreamed might happen. The improbable can and does happen.

But I have to say, some of my best days of golf were played on normal golf courses with special friends when we all were struck by wonder and the good fortune of a beautiful day, this strange game we call golf, and the fellowship of kindred minds... one does not need Augusta, or Pine Valley, or Cypress, or ... oh well, you get the idea, this does not need to be a mushy train of thought.

RC

But I have to say, some of my best days of golf were played on normal golf courses with special friends when we all were struck by wonder and the good fortune of a beautiful day, this strange game we call golf, and the fellowship of kindred minds... one does not need Augusta, or Pine Valley, or Cypress, or ... oh well, you get the idea, this does not need to be a mushy train of thought.

I tend to agree. I have played some lovely courses over the years, old established Open venues along with more modern, cash rich manufactured courses that on first appearance seem great but once played are easily forgotten.

Some of my best memories of golf are holidays taken with close friends, in Scotland (or wherever), on courses that I had never heard of. Courses where the clubhouse was closed when you got there and you had to pop your green fee in an envelope and post it into an "honesty box" on the wall. Nowhere to change your shoes other than the car park and the eight of you were rushing like mad, fumbling with laces to try to be first on the tee and away!! These memories will stay with me forever. Much, much longer than the ones of having my clubs cleaned for me after the game or somebody carrying my bag from the boot of the car to a bag drop area. It's nice to be pampered now and again. But I would get bored with it pretty quickly....

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

I have played all of the courses that you mention except Augusta (although I hope to get there this fall). The great old courses often have the most beaten up range balls and old worn locker rooms. It is not about flaunting wealth. They tend to be very understated. The courses with the most lavish over the top amentities are usually the neveau courses that need to try too hard to impress.

I'm trying to play the Top 100 Courses in America all in 2010. Any suggestions on how to get on these courses?

I've golfed a few exclusive places and the general experience is you don't pay for anything since the member your with is responsible for you. You're like a little kid. In one of the very nice clubs I wasn't allowed to order anything. I had to have the member that brought me order everything I wanted from drinks to food in the clubhouse. I was told they wouldn't even acknowledge I existed mainly so I didn't press it.

Oh, and one of the better stories I have from a very exclusive club I played is Jack Nicklaus wanted to play this place and the club has a rule that you can only play with a member. So they wouldn't let him play it. They said it wouldn't be fair to pair him someone at the club because all the other members would be envious or something that effect.

Other than simply social networking there are a number of ways:
1.Often members of these clubs will offer a threesome a charity auctions.
2. I play in a lot of member guests and whenever I am playing against someone who belongs to a top 100 course, I make a special effort to make friends with them during and after the round.
3. I belong to a couple excellent courses so others are often interested in playing home-home.
4. Most great courses make themselves available as host sites for a couple local charity events. you can buy a foursome supporting the local hospital, boys club, etc.

I have had the pleasure of playing The Golf Club and Secession, both by knowing someone.

The Golf Club is not over-the-top nice, in fact, it's pretty basic, but the course is amazing as are it's employees. Many have been there for years and are professional bartenders, caddies, etc. There are absolutely no cell phones allowed and your membership can be terminated for having one on the premises. In addition, when you play the course, do not expect to see another golf ever. Besides the way the course is laid out so that no holes parallel each other, tee times are so spaced out that you feel like you're alone on the course.

Obviously, at both courses you will walk, as carts are not a option, with a caddie and you will never see a home on the course. Although at Secession you parallel a road, but it's a quiet country road. Sadly, the waiting list at Secession is longer to get out of a membership than to get in. Secessions amenities are nicer than The Golf Club, but again are not like you would find at Sea Island's Seaside course, where you could live comfortably in the the oversized locker room, which includes flat screens, couches, a spot to eat your lunch, play cards, etc.

Like a previous poster had written, many of the exclusive, somewhat under the radar courses are strictly about golf and that is it. They do not need to draw people in with their amenities because 1. they very private (obviously) 2. the members are more interested in golf than extras.

I've played James River Country Club a few times because one of my friends works for the guy that does the irrigation there - it's not over the top, but it's BIG money to play there (about $30k/yr). The course is in impeccable shape, but, surprisingly, it's not too difficult.

That being said, the only way I could find my sorry ass on a ultra-exclusive course would be by way of a tournament (there's a state amateur qualifier at Twin Rivers next year - that place is off the chain in terms of being upscale) - I'm admittedly not the most social person on and off the course, and I consider myself pretty blue-collar about how I approach the game (driving around with seven clubs, a shag bag, and a couple dishrags from the dollar store, and finding places to practice for free, such as open fields, public tracks where I know the pro, etc), and I'm sure members would consider that kind of thing a turn-off.

- I'm admittedly not the most social person on and off the course, and I consider myself pretty blue-collar about how I approach the game (driving around with seven clubs, a shag bag, and a couple dishrags from the dollar store, and finding places to practice for free, such as open fields, public tracks where I know the pro, etc), and I'm sure members would consider that kind of thing a turn-off.

Good point - if you want to get invited on one of these courses, it helps to look the part
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Good point - if you want to get invited on one of these courses, it helps to look the part

I just don't care enough to try, really. I could live beyond my means and try to fit in with those people, but it just doesn't suit me. I do well in a low-key job that makes good money, drive my beat-up Jeep (that's been paid off for 5 years), own my condo and don't have a ridiculous mortgage payment.

This isn't the case at 'old-money' courses such as James River (where I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the members were all very nice to us even though they knew we didn't fit in - just there for the golf), but when I go to the 'nouveau riche' courses such as Kingsmill and the Tradition courses in Williamsburg (they aren't private, but they cater to a high-end demographic), I see 45-year old guys that are going through mid-life crises with their new Ping sets and new bags that probably set them back $3k, and they still can't break 90. Then me and my friends show up with our beat-up blades, beat-up woods, 10-year old bags from college, and putters we got off E-bay, and shoot 75's. That has to piss them off, it would me if I were them. :)

I could not agree more. I honestly think I would feel very uncomfortable at most of the courses that have been mentioned.

This was a really great post, one of the best I've read in a long time.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I played TPC Sugarloaf in Hotlanta a few years ago. We had our Amateur Golfing Assoc. tourney there.

omg it was hard as hell, greens were like 10-11 on the stemp. It was long, ruff was like US open.

I shot a 92.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

The caddy master Pat Collins was a character. Great guy though. I asked someone recently if he was still there and I forget what they told me.

Pat retired a couple of years ago.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At one place, an "after-crew" and little green caddie truck actually followed behind us and made sure ever divot was fixed perfectly, even though the caddies (who carry pouches of sand and grass seed on their belts) had already done it, and they actually caned the green after we putted out and left each one.

Oh yeah, Bullshit Hills, I've played there.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!