IGNORED

Would you play this golf ball again???

Zack
Note: This thread is 5328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i would still play the ball for a few more holes although i'll probably switch it at the end of the hole if i had a full or 3/4 wedge shot to the green

I would play it. A little scuff mark isn't bad in my opinion. If there was a deeper cut, or if the cover was coming off then I would toss it out. But a scuff mark isn't that bad to me.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I would still play it. Does not look in too rough of shape yet.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Whenever I hit a Callaway HX Tour with my Cleveland CB12 (zip grooves) it leaves a mark like that, especially with a full swing. My 58 degree Callaway wedge doesn't leave as much of a mark and my irons don't either.

If I replaced a ball each time that happened, I would go through 8-9 balls a round which isn't acceptable at my pay grade. I'm just now getting to the point where I can use the same ball for 18 holes - which is always a thrill for people at my skill level.

My guess is Phil Mickelson would replace a ball like that. Although if I read the rule correctly, only if a ball is cut, out of shape or cracked, can it be removed from play and everyone in the group has to agree it's no longer fit for play. That's off the top of my head though - I remember it because of a fight Seve and Jose-Maria got into with Davis and Tom Kite at the Ryder Cup years ago.

So just having the paint scuffed off doesn't meet the requirement.

So, play on!!!

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

Since joining this forum I have realized the importance of how the golf ball can impact your game.

Zack, when an "A" player...ie the single digit HC player on your scrambles team, drives straight and long, and take the irons to the green for the eventual birdie, playing at a level most of use will never obtain...

and you see he is playing a inexpensive Pinnacle ball. you realize that the golf ball$ is not the cause of either good or bad play. Play what you got till it goes home in woods or water.

Use it. This article was enough to convince me I have better things to worry about than scuff marks:

http://www.hookedongolfblog.com/2005...the-experiment
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I'd game it again.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

My guess is Phil Mickelson would replace a ball like that. Although if I read the rule correctly, only if a ball is cut, out of shape or cracked, can it be removed from play and everyone in the group has to agree it's no longer fit for play. That's off the top of my head though - I remember it because of a fight Seve and Jose-Maria got into with Davis and Tom Kite at the Ryder Cup years ago.

You remember the rule correctlly, but its application is only within the play of a hole. Before putting a ball in play on a hole, you are free to replace it for any reason you like.

So within the play of a hole, you have no choice but to continue with that ball. Me? I'd probably play out the round with it, but I like to start rounds with a new ball. Every ball I buy is cheap and I know that my shanks, hooks, and slices have nothing to do with aerodynamic anomalies resulting from scuffs on the ball, I just like looking down at a shiny new ball before I tee off onto the 9th fairway from the 1st tee.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

damned TF Gamers... just tried them and I "loved" how they performed... BUT, they scuff WAY too EASY... I obtained one of those scuff marks after all my wedge and short iron shots with the Gamer. I might use it with one or two scuffs, but not three... and I would prefer to not have any scuffs. It would just depend how many other balls I tore through that particular round.

PS - I am still searching for a new ball to play since the gamers were just a tad too easy to tear up... same problem HX bites... anyone tried anything in the $20 ballpark that doesn't scuff as bad, but handles reasonably well.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

PS - I am still searching for a new ball to play since the gamers were just a tad too easy to tear up... same problem HX bites... anyone tried anything in the $20 ballpark that doesn't scuff as bad, but handles reasonably well.

Noodles are good balls. Right now most places are having sales: 2 Packs for $25.

Cheers!

cf
Driver: 907 D2 10.5º || Fairway Woods: Viper Tour 14º & 18º || 3 - PW: 845s Oversized || Wedges: Upswing Golf 52º, 56º, 60º || Putter: Pinseeker Bombshell HS-1

damned TF Gamers... just tried them and I "loved" how they performed... BUT, they scuff WAY too EASY... I obtained one of those scuff marks after all my wedge and short iron shots with the Gamer. I might use it with one or two scuffs, but not three... and I would prefer to not have any scuffs. It would just depend how many other balls I tore through that particular round.

Used pro v's, used tour i's, used tp black's, used b330's etc. Just google used golf balls, best value IMO.

Used pro v's, used tour i's, used tp black's, used b330's etc. Just google used golf balls, best value IMO.

I have always avoided using refinished or recycled balls... I don't want to order a bunch of Brdgestones that have other peoples sharpie marks on them and logos and such... but I may end up doing it anyway, because I am getting tired of not playing with balls I like the best, and I absolutely refuse to pay $40 a dozen.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

and I absolutely refuse to pay $40 a dozen.

How come? Do you lose many balls? If you don't lose many balls (or anyone else for that matter), I'm not sure why anyone would refuse to pay $40/doz., if that ball is indeed the right ball for you.

I lose perhaps 1 ball for every 2.5 rounds on average. Perhaps a ball gets messed up every so often, cut or whatever, so maybe I lose 1 ball every 2 rounds. Thats 24 rounds per dozen balls. With those kind of numbers, I'm not worried about price, I will buy anything that works, regardless of price. I play ProV1. I do have a fortunate situation where I get 40% off everything golf related, current season included. Even without that deal I'd still pay $40/doz at my loss rate.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

How come?

you would think that being a 7 I wouldn't loose many, but somedays I can loose 3 and tear up 1-2... that's 5 balls at $3.33 a piece... so $16-17 on a bad day. Obviously most rounds I play with 1-2 balls, but still, that adds $5.00 a round. It's not a lot of money, but it bothers me... I just don't feel it is justified for 12 shinny little white things to cost that much.

you would think that being a 7 I wouldn't loose many, but somedays I can loose 3 and tear up 1-2... that's 5 balls at $3.33 a piece... so $16-17 on a bad day. Obviously most rounds I play with 1-2 balls, but still, that adds $5.00 a round. It's not a lot of money, but it bothers me... I just don't feel it is justified for 12 shinny little white things to cost that much.

yeah it sucks losing balls. like in your case, its just like taking a 10 and 5 dollar bill and throwing them into the woods.. kind of sucks to think of it that way, but thats pretty much what it is..

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Try two things:

Buy your balls on eBay. Yes, a lot of problems can arise from that. But if you do your due diligence, you can get killer deals on good balls on eBay, especially if you are willing to buy 5 or 6 dozen at one time. Also, scan craigslist for sale ads for people selling their credit. I do this all the time, and get killer deals on gift cards, gift certificates, both at golf stores and golf courses. I never offer more than .60 on the dollar for such cards, and I've NEVER been burned, fortunately. Some nice deals I've gotten were $300 credit at Tustin Ranch Golf Club for $170 and a round of golf at Oak Creek in Irvine for $40 (value around $120). Current economic conditions make a lot of people sell stuff on Craigslist and eBay at drastic discounts. I do have a real good situation set up with a golf professional that works out to 40% off or better of anything golf related, any brand. This is one way I'm able to get Travis Mathew stuff (in particular the slacks) I have grown to like without feeling the pinch. So I don't trawl Craigslist very much, but I will if I need to.

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

Note: This thread is 5328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!