IGNORED

Cleveland CG4s

Note: This thread is 6484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi everyone, new here but have been quietly lurking. Great board to find out opinions on new golf clubs. Well it is time for me to get a new set of irons and right now, ive been eyeing the Cleveland CG4s. Any thoughts on them from the board members here? I have around a 12 handicap right now that is with my really old set; i am in the process of overhauling my entire golf bag. Im looking at the stiff steel shafts of either the regular or the tour versions. Just any thoughts on these clubs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

hi everyone, new hear but have been quietly lurking. Great board to find out opinions on new golf clubs. Well it is time for me to get a new set of irons and right now, ive been eyeing the Cleveland CG4s. Any thoughts on them from the board members here? I have around a 12 handicap right now that is with my really old set; i am in the process of overhauling my entire golf bag. Im looking at the stiff steel shafts of either the regular or the tour versions. Just any thoughts on these clubs would be greatly appreciated.

I tried these when looking for a new set. Personally I didn't like them, for some reason they just seemed to hit the ball high and right, whereas other clubs felt a lot better.

They also have the CG4 Tour out now, which is a little less offset. I didn't get the chance to try those ones as they weren't out when I was looking. I'll say the same as most people, the only way to really find out is go and try them at the range, and if you can see if you can get a demo set to try on the course.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I played Cleveland VAS 792 (the ugly ones) for 12 years. Just replaced them with Ping G5's. Cleveland makes good irons.

That said I'll tell you a little about their magic material used on their new irons. They call it steel but when you go over a certain % carbon it now becomes iron. Their miracle steel is actually ductile (or also called nodular) iron and the claim that it absorbs vibration is absolutely true. The graphite "nodules" absorb vibration. That's why it is used in many applications where steel causes vibration. And it's as strong as the carbon steel used in most blade irons. But I have to laugh at marketing guys at Cleveland on this stuff.

(I'd buy Pings)

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Opinions are like R7's, everyone seems to have one, a good percentage of them have a screw loose...

So here's mine: I bought the CG4's after an extremely detailed search for new irons. I played Big Bertha 2002's for six years and was looking for something a little less game improvement oriented. Because of that the X18's were immediately ruled out since their appearance is very similar to the Big Bertha in most respects. I haven't been a big fan of Taylormade irons since the set of 320's I had before the Big Berthas so they weren't really something I was interested in either. I hit the Ping G5's pretty well, but that wide sole was one of the things that drove me away from the BB's, so that ruled them out as well (not to mention they look like a beat up 60's muscle car to me that is driving around, coated in primer). That left me with the Mixuno MX23's, the Titleist 775's, and the CG4's. IMO the 775's are a 600.00 club that's selling for 800 because of the name stamped in the cavity, they felt nice but that's too much dough, not enough technology for my taste. So it really came down to the MX23's and the CG4's. I had CG11 wedges and I loved the feel of them so I was excited about having a whole set of irons that felt similar; that's what I have now
That said I'll tell you a little about their magic material used on their new irons. They call it steel but when you go over a certain % carbon it now becomes iron. Their miracle steel is actually ductile (or also called nodular) iron and the claim that it absorbs vibration is absolutely true. The graphite "nodules" absorb vibration. That's why it is used in many applications where steel causes vibration. And it's as strong as the carbon steel used in most blade irons. But I have to laugh at marketing guys at Cleveland on this stuff.

There's a little more to the technology in the Carbon Metal Matrix than the broad generalization listed above. What I will tell you is that they feel like butter when you hit the sweet spot, you get feedback when you don't, but there's enough forgiveness that the ball still heads in the general direction and distance you intended.

If you're a stronger player, the tour model is certainly something to look at as well...
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

If you're a stronger player, the tour model is certainly something to look at as well...

What are the main differences between the tours and the regular CG4s? Also, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it a ton!

Cleveland has a fitting/demo day this saturday that i will probably attend. But I kind of want to know what I'm getting into before I go.

What are the main differences between the tours and the regular CG4s? Also, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it a ton!

Thinner topline, smaller head, less offset, a little less perimeter weighting; it was a little too much for me personally. I bought mine out of the demo van as well, it was an excellent experience having the clubs fit by the guys that work for the mfg. They threw in a free wedge not to mention they let me hit all the balls I wanted while they built them for me

In My Bag:

Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

There's a little more to the technology in the Carbon Metal Matrix than the broad generalization listed above

Sorry but there's NOT. I'm a metallurgist for a transmission company. I've looked at every kind of material on this planet under the microscope daily for 40 years. Their website has pictures of the "microstructure". It's ductile iron, plain and simple. They also claim they add more carbon. When you get over 2% carbon you now have iron and not steel. These are facts. Don't believe me? Look at a iron/carbon phase diagram. Cleveland has correctly applied this material because of it's inherent vibration dampening effect. They knew what they were doing. These should be great irons.

Cleveland Golf's highly regarded CG10 wedges, as well as the company's CG1 and CG2 irons, are made from a proprietary light-density metal that Cleveland calls CMM. That stands for Carbon Matrix Material. The metal contains carbon spheres suspended within the metal, creating a matrix that results in a metal 10-percent less dense and 15-percent softer than traditional carbon steel used in cast and forged clubheads, according to the company.

This is ductile iron. The "carbon spheres" are "graphite nodules". Here's a pic of "ductile iron" from the SAE ductile iron spec. Now go in the Cleveland site and compare.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Sorry but there's NOT. I'm a metallurgist for a transmission company. I've looked at every kind of material on this planet under the microscope daily for 40 years. Their website has pictures of the "microstructure". It's ductile iron, plain and simple. They also claim they add more carbon. When you get over 2% carbon you now have iron and not steel. These are facts. Don't believe me? Look at a iron/carbon phase diagram. Cleveland has correctly applied this material because of it's inherent vibration dampening effect. They knew what they were doing. These should be great irons.

I've made the comparison between the graphics on the website and the example of ductile iron I found elsewhere, the similarities certainly are astounding. But at the same time, I guess my challenge to you would be related to the patent information. You would have a hard time convincing me that the Ductile Iron Society would sit idly by and let Cleveland golf attempt to patent a technology that (if it truly is the same) has been around since 1943. Is the patent related to how the end product produced? If so, is it truly the exact same material?

Where we are in agreement, is that they should be great irons. Since your trade is specific to metals, I would imagine there's no better person to ask about the strength of this material, CMM and/or Ductile Iron. In your opinion, how will this material will wear over time in this application; as a golf club? -Mike
In My Bag:

That patent part is what I don't understand. They might have "tossed in" some element in the mix that makes it slightly different "chemistry wise" from normal ductile iron which would allow them to patent it. Patents are a dime a dozen.

This material will wear as well as any typical steel used in golf club irons. Not quite as well as stainless steel irons but you might not see this difference in a lifetime of constant play. I can't imagine why someone hasn't used this in golf clubs before. It's absolutely ideal. Because of this material I was "that" close to buying a set this summer but only chose Pings because of their more detailed fitting system. Now if only Ping would use this material!

WBL

What's In the Bag

• Administrator
Patents are a dime a dozen.

As someone who works in the technology sector (computer technology - software, hardware, etc.) - I agree with this. Some of the patents computer companies get are for the dumbest thing. Amazon's "one-click" patent springs to mind... the US Patent Office is a mess, and they regularly approve things despite prior art (because most people assume someone wouldn't try to patent something like clicking once). I'm pretty sure I could get dialing a cell phone with my thumb patented if I worded the application properly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been watching some ebay auctions for the CG4's lately and new sets are going for about $430... That is a pretty nice deal I think, if you are ok with the specifications of the particular sets for sale...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Note: This thread is 6484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!