IGNORED

How do you trigger your swing

allin
Note: This thread is 6447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have noticed that if I don't conciously employ a trigger to start my swing that is not arm related I really struggle. The best one for me is a slight right Knee kick to the right. I actually do this right before I take the club back and again to start the down swing. This seems to get my hips turning instead of sliding and my legs action and weight shift are improved.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have noticed that if I don't conciously employ a trigger to start my swing that is not arm related I really struggle. The best one for me is a slight right Knee kick to the right. I actually do this right before I take the club back and again to start the down swing. This seems to get my hips turning instead of sliding and my legs action and weight shift are improved.

I got a tiny little forward press that I do after I'm done waggling. That's about it. Just reminds me to set my wrists at the top.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

• Administrator

I hope your LEFT knee kicks out to start the downswing (if you're a righty...). Vijay kicks his right knee in to start his backswing, but a good downswing always starts with the lead leg kicking out first - the knees get farther apart.

My first move is two waggles, then I slowly lower the club to the ground. When it "touches down" (whatever depth I want - obviously not touching the ground with a driver, in the rough, etc.) I go. Similar to how Greg Norman used to do it... go down.. down... down.... then go!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

don't have one.. preshot routine - 2 swings, move up, set the club.. just start backswing. Never thought about a "trigger" ... is that bad ???

• Administrator
don't have one.. preshot routine - 2 swings, move up, set the club.. just start backswing. Never thought about a "trigger" ... is that bad ???

Rafi's pre-shot routine is "walk 20 yards forward from the spot where he hit the last shot, repeat as necessary."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rafi's pre-shot routine is "walk 20 yards forward from the spot where he hit the last shot, repeat as necessary."

here we go with the personal attacks again.

First - focus on the topic of the thread Second - I'll never make the mistake of being a friendly host and let you win. Next time we play - you're going down - and you're going down hard.

• Administrator
here we go with the personal attacks again.

Heh heh heh heh.

If I can say anything good about you right now, it's that you must be a damn good actor! As the lady the second 18 at Sea View said, "Nice shot!!!" P.S. No need for anyone to jump in and tell us to cool down. We're good. P.P.S. Rafi and I will continue this conversation in instant messages. Back to " how do you trigger your swing " now, please.

... Back to "

I wasn't the one who wonder off the topic

Anyway - thinking about it one more time (I don't want to be the only one without a trigger ) - I think the Rotella advice is my "trigger" - 'look at the ball, look at the target, look at the ball, swing the club'. He was talking about putting - but I'm applying it to every swing.

I don't have a Trigger either Rafcin. If I do something, it's not something I do concisously or something that I concentrate about. All of my concentration is centered on coming straight through the ball, lining up with the ball.

Casey

What's in the bag?
Driver: 10.5* TM 580 XD Stiff
Fairway: Wilson 3,53 - PW: Ping ISTKWedges: Cleveland CG10 52*56*60*Putter: Oddessy 2 Ball BladeBall: Callaway HX HotsBag: OGIO Grom

I squint, waggle twice, shake the saft up and down, flush the urinal, wash my hands and then go to the 1st tee and knock the crap out of the ball. As Mr. Sneed once said "it'll come down somewhere".

Pretty simple, really... An easy practice swing, address the ball, drop my butt about an inch or two to keep the knees flexed and swing.

I find that without that little butt action, my legs are too stiff and I wind up swinging with my arms only instead of using my whole body.

Actually iacas I was at the range last night and I tried to pay attention. My range buddy watched and videoed. We agree that right before my swing gets to the top I kind of squat a little and turn my left hip a tiny bit to the left, Then as I start back down I kick my right knee, less than I thought I did, generally towards the target. After that it is pretty generic, just finish turning and swinging the club. When I tried to use the left knee I slid every time and my hips did not clear fast enough. This might be an accomodation I have made because due to my stroke my left side only functions maybe 70 percent of normal.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
This might be an accomodation I have made because due to my stroke my left side only functions maybe 70 percent of normal.

Yes, that very well could be, obviously. I didn't know about the limited function of one side of your body.

The only trigger I have noticed is in my driver swing. If I really have to bear down and concentrate, I will shift my weight to my back foot just the barest amount and turn my back foot out about 5 degrees more than normal, then start my swing. On irons and wedges, I just try to get still and keep the shot visualized in my head. Nothing happens special except the club just starts back.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Note: This thread is 6447 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!