IGNORED

Callaway FT-5 vs FT-9 Driver

Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone have experience with these two drivers? Is the FT-9 worth double the price of the FT-5?

Which of the two do you find more forgiving?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I've had the FT-5 Tour 8.5 and 9.5, the FT-9 9' and FT-9 Tour 9.5' (all "normal"). After hitting all three versions with various shafts I found that I prefered the FT-5 Tour in the end. The sound on the FT-9 was better but that was retty about it. The FT-9 has a pretty deep clubhead which didn't feel quite right to me. It's likely more forgiving due to the deeper clubhead (higher MOI?).

Side by side, I hit the FT-5 just as far as the FT-9 and slightly straighter. The feel of the deep clubhead messed with my head and I had a difficult time finding my timing w/the FT-9.

Both clubs are great and I likely would have stuck w/the FT-9 all things being equal. I strongly suggest that you hit both, even if it's just in a simulator, so that you can get a feel for them. Get the ones that feels best in your hands, the weight distribution is quite a bit different between the two of them.

I love my FT-5 and you can't go wrong there so if you're basing it solely on price, that's a great option. Check Callaway's Pre-Owned site too for some pretty awesome deals this time of year.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Thanks, Rebby! I really appreciate your input.

What I Play:

• 6 months later...
I had the FT5 for a couple weeks. Didn't like the sound of it. Went with the FTIQ because I was fighting a slice and heard it help reduce side spin. It does. It works pretty well to help straighten out ball flight (if you dont have any major swing flaws that is). I just got one with too stiff a shaft. Was thinking of entertaining the idea of the FT9 again, but I just don't like the feel of it....

If you want a square driver, the FTIQ is a great driver. I would highly recommend it with the Fubuki shaft.

What I Play:

I had the FT5 for a couple weeks. Didn't like the sound of it. Went with the FTIQ because I was fighting a slice and heard it help reduce side spin. It does. It works pretty well to help straighten out ball flight (if you dont have any major swing flaws that is). I just got one with too stiff a shaft. Was thinking of entertaining the idea of the FT9 again, but I just don't like the feel of it....

yeah, there was a used one at golf galaxy for cheap, so i grabbed it and hit it in the simulator and went dead straight nearly every time, also very high due to it was like a 13* degree driver, sigh.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

I only had an FT-9 for a very short time (bought it used for the I-mix shaft), but I really preferred the FT-5 much better. Other than the sound like the other folks have said, the whole club just felt better to me and looked better at address. When I hit the FT-5 it gave some nice crisp feedback that let you know you creamed it - the FT-9 felt like butter to me no matter where you hit it. I actually find the feel of my FT-iz at impact to be very similar to the FT-5.

10.5* 910D2 w/ Matrix Ozik X-Con 6
 R11 5 Wood w/ Matrix Radix HD7   910H 19* Hybrid 
 AP1 Irons 4-PW   Spin Milled 48*, 53*, 58*    California Del Mer 

I used an FT9 neutral borrowed from my friend on the range yesterday and found it to be very impressive in both distance and accuracy if that helps.. much better that my current out of date Nike SQ not the square.
On an another note I have just upgraded today to a Cobra S2 offset and heres hoping this gives me a few yards and helps to eliminate the right side.
If anyone had played this club I would like to know what they think...

I have been gaming my FT-9 since the beginning of last season. I must say other than it being a tad on the extra light side I really enjoy the performance I get out of it. I was play a round with a guy that plays the FT-5 on Thursday and we compared the weight and the FT-9 was easily lighter. If you prefer your driver to be on the lighter side then this might be your answer, however if you like them a bit heavier you might want to look else where.

I am currently looking at a Cobra S9-1 S that will be a little heavier.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I have been gaming my FT-9 since the beginning of last season. I must say other than it being a tad on the extra light side I really enjoy the performance I get out of it. I was play a round with a guy that plays the FT-5 on Thursday and we compared the weight and the FT-9 was easily lighter. If you prefer your driver to be on the lighter side then this might be your answer, however if you like them a bit heavier you might want to look else where.

I just ordered the ft-5. Ive hit the ft-9 and ft-5. I like the feel and look of the ft-5 better than the ft-9. The only one I would get instead of the ft-5 is the ft-iz. That looks like a great club with similar technology, I just cant afford it.

also forget those square drivers man, i would never buy one of those.

also forget those square drivers man, i would never buy one of those.

Actually I have demoed the square ones before and they are actually pretty solid. I just can't seem to get use to looking at the head shape. I prefer mine to be more of the classic look.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Note: This thread is 5106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!