IGNORED

G5, G10, G15 Irons... Difference?

skwon11
Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there a big difference? How much? I've hit all 3 indoors and really... can't tell. I'm asking b/c the difference is $400... I don't know if it's worth it. Thanks.

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

honestly honestly.....? the difference, aside from price, are the cosmetic changes. other than that they are really the same thing, just a bit updated on technology. i fitted someone and sold them G5's a few months ago and they play just as good as the G10 and G15's so there's not much difference. technology wise, i mean, the G5's aren't as forgiving as the G15's, just little tweaks here and there from the widening of the sole, thickening of the topline, and slightly weak lofts but nothing that's OMG WOW!!!!! if you wanna look cool cause you got the newest irons in your bag, and don't mind forking over the extra 400 than go for it...but the G5's are just as good. which brings me back to, the real difference is blue, orange, and red.........what's your favorite color?
In My Under Armour Links Stand Bag or PING Hoofer Vantage Team Bag :
i15 9.5°, Project X Graphite -7A3 | i15 15.5°, Project X Graphite -8A4 | S57 2 - PW, Project X 6.5 | Tour-W 56.10/60.8 Project X 6.5 | Redwood Black Satin Anser | Titleist Black | Golf Pride Tour Velvet Round Grips With Logo...

• 4 weeks later...
I hit a bunch of irons at Golfer's Warehouse today, and I loved the G series Pings. Like you, I couldn't tell much of a difference between the G5, G10, and G15. All just so sweet and I plan on buying either G5 or G10 irons in the near future.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Pretty much the same thing.

Weights in the same spots, offsets same, head sizes are the same...

Honestly, if you couldnt tell the difference, get the ones that catch your eye the most.

Gotta like what your looking down at.

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Pretty much the same thing.

I like looking down at $400 instead of $800!

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I have played the G10s now for about 6 - 7mos. moving up from an old set of Ping eyes. I played my cousins G5s and played some demos of the G15s. The difference felt was miniscule. Had I not have been able to get the G10s at the price I did, I would have most likely have ended up with the G5s. Once you do decide on a set; just be sure to be properly fitted. This will make your new club purchase worth every dollar regardless of which model you choose.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

Hey Pingman,

I am planning on taking some lessons for the first time next year and then getting fit. What would I be looking at for new set of G15's or G10's? Is there going to be big difference with my Big Bertha's based upon the fitting primarily? Thanks for the help. I trust my club pro to give me a straight answer but would like to hear confirmation from someone who is not trying to sell me something. Do you think going through the club course is the best route - price wise. Certainly makes sense from good will standpoint. TIA

I pulled the trigger on some Ping G5 irons today. For some reason, I hit these better than the G10 and G15. Kept switching back and forth, and every one with the G5 just felt dead flush.

They are setting me up .75* flat, which is red dot.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

When I was fitted for my G10s, we used the G5s because the G10s were new enough that they hadn't made it into the fitting cart yet. There was not an appriciable difference between the 5s and the 10s that I noticed. All I know is that I love my G10s. I even ditched my Cobra hybrid for the PING 3 iron.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

What sold me on the G5s was that I was swinging pretty lousy today, and still hitting these clubs very solid. They're not kidding when they call these Game Improvement irons.

I hit a bucket at an indoor range before going to the golf shop, and was thinning everything. Nice to know these clubs can still perform even when I'm hacking it up.

The impact board showed I was hitting slightly toward the heel (which is why I'm getting the clubs flattened 1 degree), but it sure didn't feel off-center with the G5s.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I came to the same conclusion back in April of this year...once you upgrade the G5 to the AWT shaft the results are very simular but the cost difference is huge.

I've been very happy. The wedges were the real gems. I had no idea how much I'd grow to love them when I ordered the set. Wouln't trade them for any set on the market.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!