IGNORED

Was Woods Good for Golf?

Ole_Tom_Morris
Note: This thread is 5235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Before November, 2009, was Tiger Woods good for golf?

• Heck, yes!
    • Heck, no!
    • I'll take a mulligan.
    • Who cares?

Tiger has been golf for a decade.

False. Golf is Golf. No one is above the game, not Jack, not Eldrick, no one.

Edit: Did not vote. "Good" is subjective.
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and still is good for golf. This little hick up in his career 20 years from now will amount to nothing more than a small paragraph in his "wiki". People that pick at Tiger for his activities off the course are no different than people that vote for politicians based on their religious beleifs.

Tiger was is and will always be a great player, thats where he should be kept, on the golf course. What he does off the golf course amounts to nothing but useless information, that, in reality means nothing to anyone except that it gives idiots like John Feinstein something to talk about.

-Beane

I'm 19 years old. Golf, as I remember it in my lifetime so far, IS Tiger Woods. He brought golf to people who knew nothing about golf, people who didn't care about golf, people like my 80 year old grandmother. My grandmother watched golf only because of Tiger. There's no way he was bad for golf.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

As much as I really tried to avoid replying to this question, I just couldn't resist. I'm honestly shocked anyone would even ask this. I can all but guarantee that if you ask any Tour player that question, I dont think there would be a single one say that he's not good for the game. He's made very rich men out of a number of them.

In 1996, the year Tiger turned pro, the total purse for the entire season was $65 million. This year, it was $275 million. More people pay more money to see him play, and more people tune in to see him play. It's plain and simple.

What about the actual competition? Well, do you honestly think the mass majority of tour veterans haven't stepped up their game, solely because of Tiger? He has made the other players better golfers, and because they've gotten better, we as spectators watch better competition on TV or at the actual event. Oh wait, sorry, I'd rather see shitty golf, not good golf...

I guess I'm missing any point where he's not good for the game.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

This is a dumb question.

Agreed. Before Woods came on tour he was impacting golf! His influence has

1. Increased fans
  2. Increased Play
  3. Increased Payouts
  4. Increased Marketing
  5. Increased Revenues
Not to mention that he broke the racial divide in golf. Now kids of color are wanting to play this great game. Really, it would be impossible to list all of Wood's impacts on this game. He is an amazing asset to the game, regardless of what happened in his personal life.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

Of course he is. He has dedicated his life to the game and respects and values its history and traditions perhaps more than any other contemporary player. IMO he wants more than anything else to secure a place in the all-time golfing pantheon and I expect he will achieve that in a few years. Everything else is secondary.

The money, the endorsements, the hype ...... none of that really matters to him IMO. I think it's clear that he wants to be a key figure in golf texts 50 years from now - a latterday Hogan.

I agree that he has raised the competitive standard of the game, which has to be the biggest legacy a sportsman can have.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

This question depends on your point of view. If you evaluate everything in terms of money, then yes, T. Woods brought more money, advertising, to the professional golf tour. However, I have many times turned off golf coverage because it was all about TW. I don't like the guy. I think he is an arrogant SOB, and the last month has proved it. I'm interested in many players on the tour, but not TW. Not everyone is a TW fan.

He's not the only one to swear and throw clubs on the tour. The problem is that whenever he is playing, he gets huge amounts of air-time. So we see every single shot from him. They cut in other players with a random good shot. I'm not defending his tantrums, but he's not the only one.

When it comes to the air-time he gets, that is the fault of the television networks. I don't see that as something that has been bad for golf.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

when you ask a non golfer to name a golfer... what do you think would be the response?
i am not a tiger fan in the least... but out of their respective sports... tiger has put golf on the planet in this decade single handedly...
just like jordan did for basketball...
can you name another dominant player in another sport as famous as tiger?
if i threw the name of kelly slater in the mix here... hardly anyone would know him without googling him... he dominated professional surfing... he dated pam anderson... he was on bay watch...
yet outside of the surf industry... you've never heard of him...
ask another pro athlete in any sport besides golf... and they even mention tiger... a bunch of pro's respect tigers game cuz alot of them play golf and realize how difficult it is to play even though they themselves have tremendous athletic ability...
hell ask id even be bold enough to say ask a 3rd world person who has never seen a golf ball and id bet they know of tiger... lol j/k
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

when you ask a non golfer to name a golfer... what do you think would be the response?

i actually knew Kelly Slater before he became famous when a bunch of us used to surf out at Sebastian Inlet and near the AFB there in Cocoa Beach many years ago.

Depends who you ask. For me no. He has raised the price of tickets, brought every hack and there brother on every course in America causing me to wait ten minutes on every shot, set a bad example to children in both pro and personal life, and made it virtually impossible to go to a PGA event and be able to see somewhat what is going on. He has made the players richer, but I don't understand my direct benefit from that. I can't watch the PGA tour because they only show his every shot. Like most things bigger isn't better and that is what Tiger has made golf.

This is a dumb question.

agreed...not really worth a thread; how can the world's long standing No.1, who brought a multitude of people (spectators) to the sport, and almost single-handedly elevated prize purses, be bad for the sport?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Yea this is one of the stupidest threads I've seen on the forum of recent. Ole_Tom_Morris should change his screen name to Ole_Closet_Racist_Guy.

Constantine

I'm sorry, but this is a pretty dumb poll. Of course he was good for golf.

Couldnt agree more.

No need for this poll/thread.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Note: This thread is 5235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!