IGNORED

Was Woods Good for Golf?

Ole_Tom_Morris
Note: This thread is 5228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Before November, 2009, was Tiger Woods good for golf?

• Heck, yes!
    • Heck, no!
    • I'll take a mulligan.
    • Who cares?

True. About sports heros--

Back in 2006 I rode a bicycle in an organized ride for the first time. Had never ridden much over 20 miles before. Signed up for 30 miles but felt good and decided to go for the 40, but-- That last 10-15 miles hurt. Cramps and hand pain. Especially hand pain.

I survived by thinking of Floyd Landis and Stage 16. Found extra energy/determination that way. Poor Floyd. Disgrace, bankruptcy, divorce; broken man. But that guy with a bad hip who had dehydrated the day before took off on that stage as though his life depended on it. (His ride was a lot less drug-fueled than most think, but that's an argument for another forum.)

When I hit golf balls, I like to think of the greats of the game whose swings mine resemble. Helps.

When I take a picture, I sometimes imagine myself as Capa or Cartier-Bresson or some such.

That's how I use the word "hero." As a model or example to follow and admire. And as fun to think about.

While I have read and briefly studied Tiger Woods' various swings, I have never considered him as an model or hero in that sense because my swing does not, cannot, resemble his.

I don't like to raise the club up high in the backswing. I don't like an extreme shoulder turn. Both of those btw stress the body too much, IMO. And I have trouble with a big shoulder turn because my shoulders are high and square, not sloping like Tiger's, and my neck is shorter than Tiger's and my jaw more prominent than Tiger's. If I try to take a big shoulder turn, my left delt hits my chin and turns my head.

I have never liked the Harmon/Ledbetter vertical sweeping swing with the big drop down of the right elbow to start the downswing. I don't even agree that it gives one a bigger arc. Tiger has a wide swing arc because he has long arms and broad shoulders; not because he raises his hands high.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess your kid's a little too old for Higglytown Heroes, eh?

I swear to God that is the only HigglyTown Hereos epidode ever made! My sister uses to watch that show when it was her turn with the TV just to bug me and it was always that episode!!!! I want to murder that Pizza guy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, he is and was good for golf.

DRIVER : VR Tour 9.5 Degree with Diamana Whiteboard Shaft
3 WOOD : SQ 15 Degree with Diamana Blueboard SHaft
5 WOOD : SQ 19 Degree Diamana Blueboard Shaft
IRONS : Victory Red TW Blades 3-PW
S. WEDGE : Victory Red 56 DegreeL. WEDGE : Victory Red 60 DegreePUTTER : Anser IIBALL : ONE TOUR

woods was good for golf... and golf was good for woods pocket... but this scandal was bad for both... i hear his sponsors are taking massive hits
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 5228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!