IGNORED

Ideal Set Of Wedges

Note: This thread is 6466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was just interested how other people have their wedges spaced out. E.g the lofts. For example, I have a 50, 56 and 60 degree wedge. I guess ideally, one should have 48, 52, 56 and 60, since this creates an equel gap of 4 degress between each wedge. Any opinions?!?!?

In My Bag

Driver: Titlesit 905T (10.5 dgreees) - Aldila NV65 Reg Flex Shaft (Green)
3-Wood: Mizuno F50 (15 degrees) - Aldila NV65 Red Flex Shaft (Pink)
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Duel (19 degrees/3iron)Irons: Nike Pro Combo 4-PWSand Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design SM58.08Gap Wedge:Titleist Vokey Design...

I also find it hard to hit 1/2 or 3/4 pitching wedges, especially considering it is a pitching wedge which came with my set of irons which seems to make it harder. I found buying a gap wedge extremely useful, as it fills that crucial distance between your pitching and sand wedge. I would recommend a 52 degree gap wedge to you and I think you would benefit a lot from it as in my view wedges are the most important clubs in the bag (along with the putter) as they are the scoring clubs and can make you a good score.
In My Bag

Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Duel (19 degrees/3iron)Irons: Nike Pro Combo 4-PWSand Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design SM58.08Gap Wedge:Titleist Vokey Design...

There are many schools of thought really. Dave Pelz recommends having 4 wedges which is very good and will enable you to have most distances from 100 in covered - if you haven't read his book and you struggle with half shots etc, then it's probably a "must read". Dave Pelz Short Game Bible, most good book stores will have it, if not goto www.amazon.com and they will definately have it.

Personally I like to be able to keep my 3 iron and hybrid in my bag and so have gone to 3 wedges: PW 47.5*, GW 52*, SW/LW 58* which gives me gaps of 4.5 and 6, am thinking of getting my 52* bent to 53* but haven't decided for sure yet.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

As you strongly recommend the Dave Pelz Short Game Bible, I may have to put it on my Xmas wish list!!! Was wondering if you could give me some more info on what the book contains and how exactly did it help you?!?! Much appreciated. By the way, I am coming over to New Zealand at Xmas to stay with some friends in Auckland. They play at North Shore Golf Club. Ever played there before???
In My Bag

[quote=Birdie]As you strongly recommend the Dave Pelz Short Game Bible, I may have to put it on my Xmas wish list!!! Was wondering if you could give me some more info on what the book contains and how exactly did it help you?!?! [quote]Dave Pelz has studied the short game a lot, and I mean a LOT.

He worked out from his analysis that from 100 in people miss either short or long, and not really left or right. To remedy that he shows ways to swing that equate to 12 distances if you carry 4 wedges and 9 if you carry 3. That's the basic premise, but he obviously goes into much greater depth.
By the way, I am coming over to New Zealand at Xmas to stay with some friends in Auckland. They play at North Shore Golf Club. Ever played there before???

Yes I've played at North Shore.

It's one of the best courses on the North Shore of Auckland, if not the whole of Auckland. They have 3 loops of nine holes, so you can play different configurations quite easily. In December it should be in very good condition. If you get the chance I'd also recommend coming out to Muriwai to have a game, it's a great challenge, especially if the wind gets up. There are lots of other great courses in New Zealand, so make sure you get to play a few of them - Gulf Harbour, Kauri Cliffs (expensive, but great views), Mangawhai is a really nice course as well.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
I carry three: PW is 48, SW is 54 (.10), and LW is 60 (.04). I can cover all the distances inside of 100 yards by gripping down or opening the face up a touch.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe in an even gap with all my irons and wedges, whether it's 2, 3, 4 or 5 degrees, that's up to you and how many wedges you want to carry. In a typical set the long irons are 3 degrees apart, 3-4 on the rest of the irons. I personally like to have 4 degrees between each club. Some people prefer to carry only 3 wedges that are 5 degrees apart. Follow?

i only use a 48*PW and a 56* vokey. i like to think im really creative with my 56* so i dont have the need for anything else. not to mention i probably wouldnt use it right anyway hahaha.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Was just interested how other people have their wedges spaced out. E.g the lofts. For example, I have a 50, 56 and 60 degree wedge. I guess ideally, one should have 48, 52, 56 and 60, since this creates an equel gap of 4 degress between each wedge. Any opinions?!?!?

I carry a 48, 52, 56, and 60. Having 4 wedges benefits my game much more than an extra long iron would.

Driver: Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Sonartec NP-99 14*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black 19*
Irons: Mizuno MP-58 4-PWWedges: Nike SV 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: Scotty CameronBall: Srixon Z Star

My current set has only 3 wedges... a PW, SW and a 60* lob. I have just ordered new clubs and will soon have a 46* PW and then 52*, 56* and 60* Vokey's.

I can't wait to work them in to my short game.
RA

for a while i played with just a PW (48) and a 60* lob wedge...its how i became really good at hitting the desired shots with either...now im putting a 4th (have been playing with 3) in my bag so I can sharpen the short game and drop the final strokes i want to...i can hit the same shots with a 4 iron as i can with a 3, so i figure the 3 isn't needed

In My Bag:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Ti 454 9*
3 wood: Taylor Made 300 series
5 wood: Orlimar trimetal
Irons: Taylor Made 360 seriesWedges: Cleveland 56*, Tommy Armor 60*Putter: Carbite center shaft

I have a very strange wedge layout.. however I have my lengths all dialed in with them everything from 120 and in..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I'm carrying a 48*, 52*, and 60*, currently. I do own a 56* that I bring out when circumstances dictate. Most of the courses I play have shallow (as in sand depth) bunkers, so the bounce on the 52* and 60* works better for me out of the sand than the 14 degrees on the 56 (the vast majority of the time anyway). The 56 tends to bounce off the clay bottom of a lot of bunkers and fires a bladed shot over the green) I can swap the 56* in for the 3-wood without giving away much (and it might be a lot smarter to just eliminate any thought of reaching a par 5 with a 260 yd second shot).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

54 and 58 here. I find I make better contact with the 58 than with any 60 I've had in the past. My PW is a 47, so I could conceivably fill the gap with a 50, but I'm good right now. There isn't any other club I'd want to take out of the bag to make room for a gap wedge.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Yeah i only have a 48 PW and a 56degree wedge. I've been thinking of getting a 60degree, but someone above made a good point about having even divisions between your wedges. Maybe i need a 52 and a 60, cause i'm always finding myself in between the PW and the 56 length, which leads me to hitting a short PW. I've gotten pretty good at guageing the distance, but there's always that instance where i come short or go way far, that i'd avoid by just getting a 52.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

I was always told that high handicappers such as myself should always carry more wedges than long irons or fairway woods. I currently carry:
Pitching Wedge @ 45
Gap Wedge @ 51
Sand Wedge @ 56
Lob Wedge @ 60

I got the gap wedge free when I bought my irons, it was originally a 52 which would have left 7 degrees and then 4 on the other side. Since I got them off the demo van, they bent it for me to make it a more consistent gap...
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Note: This thread is 6466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!