IGNORED

snow = standing water?

finitesoup
Note: This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We've had a couple of days of above-zero weather and most of the course is green, so I played 18 today.

Twice, however, my ball landed in a little patch of un-melted snow. One of the times was in a bunker. I proceeded as if the ball was in standing water both times, but wondered if that's correct.

What do you rules gurus say? Does snow equal standing water when it comes to the rules?

While I don't know the rule, for what it's worth, it certainly seems to be within the spirit of the standing water rule. I'd give you the free drop, no closer to the hole...

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Snow is either casual (not standing) water or a loose impediment at the player's choice. A large patch of snow would probably be casual water and drop one clublength from the nearest point of relief. A small chunk of snow could be treated as a loose impediment and be removed like a twig or pebble.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
A small chunk of snow could be treated as a loose impediment and be removed like a twig or pebble.

But not in a bunker.

Source: 23-1. Relief Except when both the loose impediment and the ball lie in or touch the same hazard, any loose impediment may be removed without penalty.

In the case of the bunker, you'd be treating the snow as casual water. Drop at the nearest point still in the hazard. Better explained in rule 25-1b(ii)

Source: 25-1b(ii) (ii) In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either: (a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause(i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker or, if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or (b) Under penalty of one stroke , outside the bunker, keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.

Note that this is one of the few times when complete relief need not be taken (unless it's available no nearer to the hole).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks guys. I was wondering the same thing. Nice to find it easily. Im in P.a we got around 20 inches last week. Waiting for most of it to melt before i try to get back out there.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

Note: This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!