IGNORED

Anybody eligible to play in a US Open qualifier that opts not to?

plugged
Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I was a 1.4 or better I'd definitely go for it. If you've worked so hard to get to that point then why not? The fee is only around $100 or so. That said, I know the open qualifiers fill up almost immediately at least here in the Chicago area, so I think it might be really tough just to get the application in on time.

Guys there is a big difference between a 1.4 and a tour pro. Realistically the cutoff to qualify for the U.S. Open should really be somewhere around an index of +3.0. I am a +0.8 right now and on occasion I get play with some local tour pros. They beat me like a rented mule! And there is nothing wrong with admitting that. The guys that qualify for U.S. Opens are people that have a hell of a lot more time to practice and play than I do, and thats saying a lot. Also, those qualifiers cost a couple hundred bucks or so to compete in, I know myself that I would just be donating to the cause so I would rather spend my money on something else.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Guys there is a big difference between a 1.4 and a tour pro. Realistically the cutoff to qualify for the U.S. Open should really be somewhere around an index of +3.0.

Nah. Know why? You said it yourself...

Also, those qualifiers cost a couple hundred bucks or so to compete in

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In all honesty, I haven't made it to a U.S. Open Qualifier since I've gotten my handicap down below the cutoff because it has fallen on a date that I wasn't able to make it. You better believe I played in all of the other USGA Qualifiers that I could play in, and would recommend everyone that is eligible to do the same.

Some may say that you aren't ready, but the only way to be ready is to play in your first one. Then you will have a taste of what the competition is like and, if you're like me, you get the feeling that you can play with these guys...at least at the local qualifying level.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's two rounds in one day, at least it is here in Northern Nevada. That really takes a bit of a toll in the middle of the summer here in the high desert, so it really takes preparation and dedication.

I would also echo the sentiment that you should play in your local golf associations bigger tournaments like the Mid-Amateur (if you're of age, of course) to get a feeling of real competition...not your clubs competition.

Basically what I'm saying is that playing and getting experience in these things is the best thing you can do. Plus, it's the best way to play some local course that is in excellent condition for cheap!!

underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

• 1 year later...

My handicap is right on the border at 1.4 but I haven't played for 3 years and my game is in need of improvement. I registered for it and have been practicing but my rate of improvement is not on par with the time remaining til the "day", May 10. I'll give myself another week and make a decision one way or the other then.

Originally Posted by plugged

I know that typically 7-8K people play in local qualifiers. IIRC, you must have a verifiable HC of 1.4 to be eligible. I'm thinking there must be more players out there with HC's that meet this criteria, but for some reason don't play. I am wondering if this applies to any of you, and if so, why? I would think this would be ultimate goal for an amateur, even if you know w/o a doubt that you almost certainly will not advance to the regional qualifier. Just the opportunity to be part of the whole US Open process as a player I think would be a real thrill. I know for me my ultimate goal is some day to play in a qualifier. At this point in my life, I have concede that this is very unlikely, even though my game is quickly improving. But it is still quite a motivator to get better.

I built my HC on courses that I know like the back of my hand.  If I go to a course that I am completely unfamiliar with, I will have a hard time breaking 80 the first go-around, especially if they set it up difficult.  Also, during a round, my mind runs like a gerbil in a spinning wheel and I sometimes have trouble controlling my emotions (swearing, throwing a ball in a lake after a bad hole, things like that) - I don't want to risk my being an idiot out there jeopardize the chances of someone who plays golf for a living and has to feed their family being distracted over something stupid I do.

Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!