IGNORED

Your swing on video - found a cheap HD high fps camera - Anyone have this?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 5229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

If the specs are what they say they are, and its only $250 (cheap comparatively speaking). Anyone vid their swing with this?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I believe Dave Wedzik uses one or something very similar. They're not great indoors (tons of noise) or very much above 210 FPS (and I think the resolution at 210 is even 500 x 320 or so - not those numbers but something near those)... but they work at 120 and 210 in decent light and produce a reasonable sized movie (height/width).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

120 - 210 fps in decent light? That's pretty good, no? Compared to the typical 30-60 fps I get in my point and shoot. I don't think the Flip goes as high in fps either. Do you know of anything equivalent or better? I think there should be minimal blur on a freeze frame @ 120?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
120 - 210 fps in decent light? That's pretty good, no? Compared to the typical 30-60 fps I get in my point and shoot. I don't think the Flip goes as high in fps either. Do you know of anything equivalent or better? I think there should be minimal blur on a freeze frame @ 120?

Yes, it's pretty good. I posted a

60 FPS video (go ahead and download it) and for $100 I think that's good. If you want to pay $150 more to get an extra 2x or 3.5x (at smaller resolutions) then that's your decision to make, of course. And if you'll use the camera for something else, well, that helps. I'm still waiting for some camera maker to come out with a dedicated camera that:
  • Records video with a resolution of 800 high x 600 wide. Plenty of resolution and golf swings are taller than they are wide anyway.
  • Has a wide enough aperture that a shutter speed of 1/300th is possible even indoors
  • Records at 300 FPS. I don't even care if 150 and 60 and 30 are included, but they probably could be somewhat easily.
  • Records with a decent noise level, even in a reasonably well-lit indoor facility.
  • Has a remote that either clips into a little wand a teacher can hold or into the butt end of a grip (in the little hole) so someone working alone can start and stop the recording themselves.
  • Include WiFi so you can control the camera (record, stop recording) from a computer. You'd also be able to easily copy the movie files to your computer for analysis in V1.
  • Costs $500.
From what I know this is quite possible. You're looking at a camera that does a lot more than this for $250. It just doesn't do the high speed at the high quality. The Zx1 is 720p@60fps - assuming each pixel is one unit of file size, that's 1280 x 720 x 60 = 55,296k "data" units. 800 x 600 x 300 is 144,000k units. So that's just over 2.5x more performance. I know performance doesn't scale at the same rate as cost, but $100 - $500 is 5x the cost for 2.5x the performance. I think it's quite doable. Heck, you could shoot black and white and you're there now with room to spare. Plus this camera wouldn't need to be redesigned and updated every four months... They can still sell the same camera three years from now because it's good. No instructor or student needs the super-high-speed video like the BizHub thing, but 300 FPS is good. Nobody needs 300 FPS at 1080p either - the files would be massive and take up huge amounts of disk space. If $500 is too much, you could pool your money with a friend or two. Every golf instructor should buy one or two (or more). The camera wouldn't need to be super-small and the user interface could basically be "record" and "playback" controls. No messing with still photos, no menus to change a bunch of settings... KISS.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes - I do use this camera for indoor instruction from time to time. It is not my normal go to camera but you can get high speed video indoors (normal lighting) with the 210 fps setting. This is not doable with my other Casio that shoots at 300 fps (great outside though). I like this camera very much overall and because of the size I can take it with me very easily (paired with gorillapod its super versatile) at times I don't want to lug the bigger camera and tripod.

btw - Amazon had this same camera for $215 or so with free shipping not long ago - not sure it is still the same price there but might be worth checking. Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Thanks to both for the info.

Even at 60fps, there's not much blurring, but at 200-300 fps, there should be many more intermediate frames between each advance to look at.

The camera looks light, you could probably toss it in your bag, not feel the extra weight and break it out if you feel like taking a video on course.

I remember my first digicam, 3 megapixels for $700 and crappy video, now $200ish for 9mp and high speed video. Things have come a long way. Looks like iacas will get his camera pretty soon. I currently use a Nikon 9mp p&s; with 30fps. This would be a pretty good upgrade in terms of video and I can give my current cam to my parents. Would have to get some SD cards though.

Steve

It is not showing up in the window, all I hear is its audio, what wrong? EDIT: nvm, just started working..

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

I like the Sanyo FH1. I don't need more than the 240 FPS that it gives. I find any more FPS becomes tedious to watch because it takes so long, but 240 is a really nice slow motion rate. Also, it does 1080p at 60 FPS if I really need it. The video at that resolution is gorgeous, but overkill for golf swings. I actually record most of my golf swings at 640 x 480 30 fps or 240 fps at a slightly smaller resolution, and use the higher resolutions for vacations, special events etc. The camera is about $500, but totally worth it in my opinion. Really beautiful HD footage.

You can see some slow motion videos (240 FPS) on my blog.

Driver: Adams 9105d Tech A4 Harrison Saga 70 Stiff
Driver: Adams 9032ls VooDoo XNV6
Nike 17* 4W Sq - VooDoo svs7
Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
4-PW: Mizuno MP-52, Project X53*: Cleveland Golf 58856*: Callaway X-Forged MD60*: Callaway X-Forged MD

• Administrator
I find any more FPS becomes tedious to watch because it takes so long, but 240 is a really nice slow motion rate. Also, it does 1080p at 60 FPS if I really need it. The video at that resolution is gorgeous, but overkill for golf swings. I actually record most of my golf swings at 640 x 480 30 fps or 240 fps at a slightly smaller resolution

FWIW, the Sanyo VPC-FH1 does:

• 1920 x 1080 (60 fps/ 24Mbps)
  • 1920 x 1080 (60fields/sec 16Mbps)
  • 1920 x 1080 (30 fps/ 12Mbps)
  • 1280 x 720 (30 fps/9Mbps)
  • 640 x 480 (30 fps/3Mbps)
  • 448 x 336 (240 fps/8Mbps)
  • 192 x 108 (600fps/8Mbps)
The Casio EX-FC100 does:
  • 1280x720 30fps
  • 224x64 1000fps
  • 224x168 420fps
  • 480x360 210fps
  • 480x360 30fps
  • 640x480 30fps
I marked similar modes so you could compare resolution. They're awfully similar, and the Casio is half the price. There are a lot of things to consider beyond resolution and framerate, though... I just thought this information here might be useful. Sometimes it can be a pain to find the resolution/framerate info.

Note: This thread is 5229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!