IGNORED

eleven wood

john granger
Note: This thread is 6968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, what good is an eleven wood? Thinking about possibly buying one.

An 11 wood would likely be a replacement for a 5/6 iron depending on your distance gaps. If you have trouble hitting those irons, I'd say go for it, but they're not too common these days.

• Administrator
Aaron, but you're just starting out, too... and haven't played much.

I think the skill of properly wielding, swinging, and hitting long irons is important. Pros, yes, are replacing their 2Is and in some very rare cases 3Is with hybrids, but nobody's replacing 4Is.

I think irons are more versatile. So be careful. Just as a cavity back can "improve your game," they don't make you a better player. There's a ceiling. I think using too many hybrids and woods is a crutch or a ceiling that prevents you from becoming a better player. You may shoot better - if that's what you're after go for it - but golf skill is golf skill, and clubs that take that away from you don't help you improve it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Aaron, but you're just starting out, too... and haven't played much.

In deep rough, with 200 yards to go to the green, there's no way I'm reaching for any club other than a 4-iron, it's irreplaceable in my bag.

In deep rough, with 200 yards to go to the green, there's no way I'm reaching for any club other than a 4-iron, it's irreplaceable in my bag.

I have to say thanks for all the input, I guess I'll just have to make a special effort to hit my irons. More time on the range instead of the course would help alot.

• Administrator
I have to say thanks for all the input, I guess I'll just have to make a special effort to hit my irons. More time on the range instead of the course would help alot.

Best tip I know of for long irons is to swing them as smoothly and easily as you do your 7I. Too many people really try to jump at a 3I. That's no way to hit it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think the skill of properly wielding, swinging, and hitting long irons is important. Pros, yes, are replacing their 2Is and in some very rare cases 3Is with hybrids, but nobody's replacing 4Is.

if i were to keep my old set i would replace my 4 iron with a lob wedge.i cant hit that thing if my life depended on it. but i can crush my 3 iron and every other iron in the bag.

there was a guy in my league that had a complete set of woods right down through the pw.actually he might still be in the league cant remember who it was off the top of my head.

• Administrator

If you can hit your 3I and your 5I, then I think your problem with the 4I may be mental more than anything... Just tell yourself it's a strong 5I or a weak 3I. Get out a Sharpie and write "3½" on the bottom.

Note: This thread is 6968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!