IGNORED

Easy to hit irons

kilbyman
Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shattered my left wrist 10 years ago and have tried several different makes trying to take as much vibration out as possible.....my handicap is now hovering at 18. I am hoping to drop to a 12 this year.

Here is what I have tried....

Nicklaus CGX with shock absorbing steel crankshaft
Adams A2OS with graphite shafts
Callaway Fusions with graphite
Callaway Fusion Wide-Sole with graphite.

I should have kept the Fusions, as I have hit them the best, but traded them for new Callaway Fusion Wide Soles as I thought the price was right for a brand new set ($600)...The Wide Soles are growing on me as I have to change my shot a bit to get the best from them....as I don't have to hit them as hard.....time will tell.

My advice is to experiment with several 6 irons at a golfsmith or edwin watts or golf galaxy. Get with golftec or some other instruction group to determine what your swing path is, then decide what feels best for you......most golf club stores will let you "borrow" a couple different 6 irons that you can take to the range or the course you regularly play to try them out.

if you dont want vibrations get a set of pings with cushin inserts.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

The irons you have are great. I love mine. I wouldn't spend the $$$ for the little gain you may get with the super game improvement irons. Time and practice will have you hitting them better in no time!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

When I bought a camera, I couldn't break 110 on a good day. After just a few months of working with the camera, I was a single digit handicap.

Unless you have a magic camera with a genie in it, that didn't happen.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good advice on lessons. Get your swing stabilized, and then consider if you need to switch clubs.

Agreed, don't spend lots of $$$ on something which won't "fix" your swing. A set of 5 or 6 lessons with lots fo range practise inbetween would be a far better investment of your hard earned dollars, and make golf much more enjoyable when you see the results too!

Personally I am a fan of giving everyone slightly 'harder' clubs than they can actually hit consistently, thus forcing you to improve your swing... though I accept that isn't to everybody's tastes.

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

It pains me to finally realize that at about a 28 handicap or so, the TM irons in my sig are probably out of my league. I love it when I hit them well, but my swing is not yet as consistent as I need it to be to effectively game them. I am looking at Callaway x-20s or other irons... anyone think that they are really easy to game? If not, any other suggestions?

I'd suggest taking lessons to develope a good swing or at least get an idea of what a good swing is. As great as the GI irons are they will cover up flaws in your swing, so when you do graduate to the next level you won't have to learn a golf swing all over again.

I would get lessons and work with teaching pro to get your swing, identify good club working for you (lots of choices out there), and equally important.....get fitted.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

Wait, what? The Hope tournament on the PGA TOUR is in Palm Springs, not Vegas. Was this the tournament you reference?

Oops your right I always forget that because of the desert surroundings

Some pros had it on their hats, and maybe for woods/hybrids, but I'd be surprised if they were in someone's bag as irons. Mind if I ask who?

Is that so unbelievable? I don't remember but i want to say Billy Mayfair and someone else...go to golfwrx and check out the pctures from the Hope torunamnet as there are many pictures and I don't feel like scrolling through all them again to tell you exactly who I saw with the G15 irons in their bag but I know I saw it as I don't make stuff up...

Also, I will tell you I was watching the Pebble Beach tournamnet yesterday on my DVR (so I can stop, slow motion, etc...) and noticed that KJ Choy was playing with the many G15 irons in his bag (except wedges)...and at the time he was in the lead at 6 under...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Oops your right I always forget that because of the desert surroundings

u sure they're not i-15's??

i concur on everybody's suggestion on lessons... or a video camera at the very least... i play g5's now because i dont have time to practice anymore with a high overtime job and a 5 month old baby... they're very forgiving and high launching but... i much prefer playing with my hogans. they may not be as forgiving, but the game was always more enjoyable when i had to hit a quality shot every time

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

Callaway X22's are the easiest irons i have ever hit in my life. I highly recommend them

FT-iQ 10* driver
FT-i Squareway 3 Wood
X-22's Irons
X Series JAWS Chrome 56*, 60*
Zinc Dual Sided Blade Putter HX Hot Bite X-22 Stand Bag

u sure they're not i-15's??

Positive...

I was surprised myself as I would have thought if not S57's then i15's but they were defiently G15's As a matter of fact I recorded the Mayakoba Golf Classic at Riviera Maya-Cancun on my DVR and they showed KJ Choy teeing off on a par 3 and him talking to his caddie on the tee right next to his bag and his bag was full of G15's...now it look like he had DG (probably X100) shafts but the heads were defintely G15's...also they could have adjusted lofts but for some reason it seems some Pro's like these irons...go figure... 1 - easy to hit (which this thread is about) 2- made to go relatively straight (not every pro tries to work the ball both ways) 3 - and they go high (which is good for todays game with the new grooves) Hey who am I to question as an 8 handicap when the guy is tied for 11th place in this tournament and is 50th on this years money list and has alreafdy won $217K...maybe I should play G15's???

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to congratulate you for a decision most golfers (SD handicaps included) should make and are afraid to make.

I just made it myself, was looking at MX300, DF, AP2 etc..........

Ended up buying a set of Raptures, and I'm not even concerned about the top line or the sole.....I think my putter and scorecard will appreciate it.

I'd have to recommend the same set I use, Wilson Staff Di7's, or the Di9s, which, from what I heard, are even better. They will add distance, which isn't very important and is only a side effect imo, but something about those sticks... it just seems harder to mis-hit.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!