IGNORED

Maximum Shots Question... (not really related to handicap)

Newbie Collection Agency
Note: This thread is 6459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering your thoughts on this.

Usually when I play golf, I usually only take a maximum of double par on holes. This is incase I blow up on a hole, I keep the speed of play decent. I don't like to be the person who takes forever on the golf course.

I am a casual golfer, and only keep score sometimes and just to see where I am as a golfer. I do not have a handicap, and don't really understand handicaps all that well.

Is there a certain number of strokes I should play to? Also where is a good site to start to keep track of handicaps, and information on them so that I can understand it better?

Thanks for your help

-Pete

Really you can do whatever you want when you are on the course, it is your 4+ hours... Some of the better golfers here might say that you are not really playing the game properly, but it really doesn't matter unless you decide to play competitively. Personaly, I count every stroke. But, I only count one stroke for a lost ball. I read an article about this in Golf Digest once and it is silly to take two strokes for a ball that you lose after hitting a pretty decent shot, sometimes you get a bad roll after a hill or something... This never happens to the pros because they have so many spotters and TV cameras...

My playing partner usually takes at least two mulligans per round, I personally never take one, it makes no difference for a casual weekend round... But, if you are ever really serious about a handicap and maybe playing competitively then you might want to try sticking to the rules as they are written, otherwise it is your time...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Is there a certain number of strokes I should play to? Also where is a good site to start to keep track of handicaps, and information on them so that I can understand it better?

Pete, don't look for a firm number - use your common sense. If you're playing alone - look over the shoulder once in a while, make sure nobody is waiting for you at every shot - let them play through if they really push you. If there are others with you in the group - try to keep up with them. Hit 2 , 3 shots - and if you still didn't catch up to them - pick up the ball and drop next to them. I used to do that and putting away my ego gained me repeated invitation to go and play with better golfers.. which I used to learn a bit.

Now - about your handicap question. Handicaps are devil's invention and you can get more detail information from http://www.howtodestroycompetitioningolf.com website. ok, ok, that was my personal opinion... The true story you can get here: http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/handicaps.html My suggestion - instead of worrying about number of strokes and handicaps - have fun out there. Focus on getting better - trust me - the better you play, the more fun you have doing it

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personaly, I count every stroke.

Good for you. It's nice to see that people follow the rules of golf.

But, I only count one stroke for a lost ball. I read an article about this in Golf Digest once and it is silly to take two strokes for a ball that you lose after hitting a pretty decent shot, sometimes you get a bad roll after a hill or something... This never happens to the pros because they have so many spotters and TV cameras...

Oops! Then you're not counting every stroke. So an amateur doesn't have to take the same penalty as a professional just because the amateur has two eyes looking rather than a thousand? Sorry, but that's not golf. Last time I checked, they don't have out of bounds and hills that deflect golf balls in the fairway. Meaning: you hit a bad shot, take the penalty.

But, if you are ever really serious about a handicap and maybe playing competitively then you might want to try sticking to the rules as they are written

I agree. This is fun. It's like talking to a politician.

..Then you're not counting every stroke. So an amateur doesn't have to take the same penalty as a professional just because the amateur has two eyes looking rather than a thousand? Sorry, but that's not golf. Last time I checked, they don't have out of bounds and hills that deflect golf balls in the fairway. Meaning: you hit a bad shot, take the penalty.

Hm... you're right - one either plays by the rules or not. You can't not apply the rule (for whatever reason) and brag about your scores or use it in competitions.However - there is a big difference between amateurs (especially low level - like state level ) . Their courses are pefect (long, higher rough, but perfectly manicured). They indeed have hundreds of eyes watching their wayword tee-shots. Unless it's OB or unplayable - they WON'T have the stroke and distance penalty. That's a fact. Their caddies (and them too) got to spend several days on the course, learn it through out. We are seldom allowed on the course before actual tournament...

There is one thing to play by the rules, there is another to realize that amateurs indeed have disadvantage (which is only magnified by our less consistant play )

Thanks for the responses.

It looks like I should be counting every shot I play.

However, I usually only institue the double par rule on myself when someone is waiting for me to play, or our group is being a tad bit slow. It is more of a courtesy thing.

It doesn't happen that often, only every few rounds when I am just playing terrible, or I have a hole that blows up in my face. If there is nobody behind me, sure I'll count every shot. But if my group is being slowed down by my terrible play, or I am holding up others, the double par comes into affect.

I am an amature that plays for the fun of the game, so I don't believe that it is detrimental to me. I am still playing the game they way it should be played...IE correct penalties, etc. but I don't want to hold up an entire golf course if I should be have one of those terrible days.

I don't keep a handicap, and if I did, I would finish out every hole I played. I think it is different when you are just playing to have fun. I don't want to hold up the next group by me shooting a 12 on a par four.

-Pete

...I don't keep a handicap, and if I did, I would finish out every hole I played. I think it is different when you are just playing to have fun. I don't want to hold up the next group by me shooting a 12 on a par four....

actually that's where you're wrong

if you're not in competition and you're posting your score for handicap purposes - you have a limit of strokes per hole you can post, which depends on your current handicap index. For example I can post only a double bogey, so in the situation you're describing, where group behind is right on my tail - I "can" pick up after hitting 6th shot on a par 4 and put down a 6 on the scorecard. Unless I'm in a money game - it's absolutely ok. This is of course a rule, that has to be used with caution. I've seen guys, who picked up after hitting 12the stroke, put down a 6 (hcp limit) and later in the bar brag about how they shot 80 today.

Oops! Then you're not counting every stroke. So an amateur doesn't have to take the same penalty as a professional just because the amateur has two eyes looking rather than a thousand? Sorry, but that's not golf. Last time I checked, they don't have out of bounds and hills that deflect golf balls in the fairway. Meaning: you hit a bad shot, take the penalty.

I agree that this is still not officialy by the rules, I was just pointing out how different players decide to score their rounds when playing casually. Like I said, my partner will take a mulligan or two, I don't, it is a choice in a situation like this. This is also why I don't have an official handicap, I would never turn in a scorecard for a handicap unless I played 100% by the rules. I do plan on getting an official handicap someday and playing in some amatuer events, but that is a long ways off, and for now I am happy with the way I score my game...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

double par is usually a good rule of thumb for beginners. they use it in alot of my high school matches and even started doing it in my junior golf tour. and believe me, its saved my butt on more occasions than i wish to recall.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Note: This thread is 6459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!