IGNORED

Rules Clarification

canadianpro
Note: This thread is 5162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Match Play.......player A. accidentally moves ball while removing loose impediment. Oponent agrees there is a one stroke penalty and player A. replaces ball incurring a one stroke penalty and continues play. Correct ruling or not?

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

• Administrator
Match Play.......player A. accidentally moves ball while removing loose impediment. Oponent agrees there is a one stroke penalty and player A. replaces ball incurring a one stroke penalty and continues play. Correct ruling or not?

You're in Canada, so the ruling may be slightly different (but I don't think so):

Source: Rule 23 If the ball lies anywhere other than on the putting green and the removal of a loose impediment by the player causes the ball to move, Rule 18-2a applies.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-18/

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Erik

Actually, I am in the Caribbean now (Turks & Caicos Is.)...some think the 1-stroke penalty applies..others say loss of hole...the ruling can read both ways

PB

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Correct. As long as you replace the ball in its original position, one stroke. If you fail to replace the ball, then you have played from a wrong place and lose the hole.

Rule 18-2:
18-2. By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment a. General When a player's ball is in play, if: (i) the player, his partner or either of their caddies lifts or moves it, touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing it) or causes it to move except as permitted by a Rule, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced,

From Rule 20-7:

20-3. Placing and Replacing If a ball to be replaced is placed other than on the spot from which it was lifted or moved and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs the general penalty, loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play, for a breach of the applicable Rule.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Correct. As long as you replace the ball in its original position, one stroke. If you fail to replace the ball, then you have played from a wrong place and lose the hole.

Actually Rule 18 says:

*PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE: Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes. *If a player who is required to replace a ball fails to do so, or if he makes a stroke at a ball substituted under Rule 18 when such substitution is not permitted, he incurs the general penalty for breach of Rule 18, but there is no additional penalty under this Rule.

Actually Rule 18 says:

If the ball is replaced correctly, it is a ONE stroke penalty (in MATCH PLAY and stroke play).

If the ball is NOT replaced correctly it is a TWO stroke penalty in stroke play, and LOSS OF HOLE in match play.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Actually Rule 18 says:

Your point is??? I posted the same thing (Rule 20-3) encompassing failure to replace the ball in

all situations requiring replacement, as well as Rule 20-7 detailing the procedure when the player does play from a wrong place, and I posted the 18-2 one stroke penalty when the ball is replaced. Whether you get there from 20-3, 20-7, or from 23-1, you still end up at the general penalty for Rule 18 if you fail to replace the ball. The penalty statements in Rule 20 are the same as in Rule 18, but they simply refer one to the applicable rule. The rules are chock full of cross references, and there are lots of ways to arrive at the correct solution. I can stake it a step farther to point out that if the wrong place you played from gains you a significant advantage, then it's a serious breach and you must correct your mistake or face possible disqualification. My intent was to simply answer the OP's question with a procedural reference (20-3), not go into an in depth discussion of all the permutations of Rule 18. That would be a thread unto itself. You seem to be pretty good and jumping on me every time I respond to rules question.... I'm not sure why that is.

Rick

Your point is??? I posted the same thing (Rule 20-3) encompassing failure to replace the ball in

I am not jumping on anybody. Are you sure you are not oversensitive...?

My point was that it is not necessary to find any other rule than Rule 18 in order to get the correct answer for the question. It is all said in there. Sometimes people get confused if too many rules are cited.

• Administrator
My point was that it is not necessary to find any other rule than Rule 18 in order to get the correct answer for the question.

If that was your point, you not only failed to make it, you wrote that Fourputt was wrong. Your use of the word "actually" was instrumental in that. "Actually" is used to correct someone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow, a rare infraction in match play where you don't lose the hole. Conditionally, that is.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Wow, a rare infraction in match play where you don't lose the hole. Conditionally, that is.

There are actually several one stroke penalties in match play. 12-2, 18-2b, 18-3b, 19-2, 20-1, 20-2, 20-3, 21, 25-1b(ii)(b), 26-1, 28. There are also several cross references to being penalized under 18-2 for moving your ball when the procedure you are following does not allow it.

Rick

Note: This thread is 5162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!