IGNORED

Staff Bags vs. Cart Bags

Note: This thread is 5157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok gents I need some help here. I have been playing cart bags for quite sometime now. We always ride and I enjoy the extra space in the bag. However I really like the new Adidas Staff bag because I play Taylormade and usually wear Adidas apperal as well as Adidas shoes. I understand I am not a tour player nor have a caddie. Are staff bags frowned upon for average golfers? I think If i saw a hacker out there with his name and city on his huge leather staff bag I might have a laugh myself. What do you think?

I don't see an issue with using a Tour Bag. I was recently looking at getting one but opted for the Titleist RC10 (UK Only) and once it is on the trolley it actually looks like a tour bag. If you want one go for it but they aren't the best shape for a a cart, you will always have pockets that you can't reach.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

Not that it really matters, but I am a firm believer that Staff bags should be primarily used by golf pros or playing professionals.

To me, it just doesn't look right when someone shows up with a staff bag and shoots 90

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

There is nothing wrong with using a staff bag, it might look abit stange if your shotting like 90+ but who cares what others think.
My brother did have a staff bag, but he was shotting 70-75.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I'd guess that you would get some attention initially, with guys thinking you were a pro or something. When you make your first swing, the attention would probably fade away fast. You might expect to hear a few under-the-breath comments, too. But to each his own.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

A bag is a bag is a bag. If you like the staff bag, go for it. I rarely use someone's bag to determine how good of a golfer I think they are or should be.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

A bag is a bag is a bag. If you like the staff bag, go for it. I rarely use someone's bag to determine how good of a golfer I think they are or should be.

+1...it don't matter if you have your clubs in a brand new staff bag or a bag from 1926, whatever you like go for it... hell I got a tube sock with 2 red stripes on it for a headcover on my driver

If you always do what you've always done....You'll always be where you are right now..
Driver: C830.2 HOF Taiwan Proto
3 wood: Versus VS 1 Proforce V2
7 wood: DCT Fujikura Motore F1
3-pw: Nakashima NX-1 Project X 6.5 53*: ...

+1...it don't matter if you have your clubs in a brand new staff bag or a bag from 1926, whatever you like go for it... hell I got a tube sock with 2 red stripes on it for a headcover on my driver

you just made me laugh outloud i saw a guy at the range that had an old ram staff bag like the one tom watson used to use

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

Cool, I use an old sock as a putter cover because I got tired of it getting chipped by my irons. Have to replace it every now and then because the large mallet head stretches it out. I usually use a non-attention-grabbing black sock, though.

I don't quite understand the comments about golf bag having any connection with skill. Get one you can carry/cart comfortably and which holds your clubs and gear the way you like. It reminds me of the endless threads about jeans and iron covers....

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I don't quite understand the comments about golf bag having any connection with skill.

The comments stem from the fact that majority of the people who have/use a staff bag, also have their name on that bag. I admit, when I see someone with a staff bag, I expect them to be a decent golfer but really, to each their own. I personally don't see the need for a huge staff bag because I can fit everything I need comfortably into my ping stand bag. But again, if you carry enough stuff to fill it, go for it.

Golfers love to criticize other people to take attention off their own shitty performance. Any golfer who criticizes another player's choices isn't a golfer I'd like in my foursome. Screw them if they critique your bag choice. Get what you want.
  • Upvote 1

Putter
MP-67 3-PW
905R, 906F
i-Mix FT-i Tour 9.5 w/Fubuki Tour Shaft
Hybrid V1x T-1000 Travel Case

If the question is asked, then it should be fair to offer an honest opinion. To many, a staff bag projects a certain image (right or not); however, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what bag you use so long as you have fun playing the game with friends.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

This thread reminded me of something I saw at the course this past Sunday. As we were getting ready to tee off on 10 after the turn, I saw some guy with a "Ben Hogan Rental" bag trying to put his bag on the cart. I knew it was a rental because "Ben Hogan Club Rental" was stamped in white lettering on the side of the dark blue & red bag.......Anyway, this joker was trying to fit the bag onto the back of the cart. He was, no joke, lifting the bag up in the air and trying to slide it down into the strap on the back of the cart.......I guess he didn't know that you can unhook the strap and just place your bag on the cart. It took him several minutes to accomplish the task, but he did get it on the cart.

I am one of the ones who shoots in the 80's that does have a staff bag. I think my bag is a great looking bag. It doesn't fall over on the range like my old cart bag used to, I can put an extra pair of shoes in the front locker compartment, it holds everything I need it to hold, fits on the cart nicely, and just looks nice. I'm not one to judge on the golf course, but just like Aceboympk said:

Golfers love to criticize other people to take attention off their own shitty performance. Any golfer who criticizes another player's choices isn't a golfer I'd like in my foursome. Screw them if they critique your bag choice. Get what you want.

I couldn't agree more!! To each is own, but if you want a staff bag because you like the way it looks or want to spend the money, then do it, who cares what other people think or what you score, there isn't a place at the checkout line that makes you input your handicap to determine if you can buy certain gear!

• Upvote 1

In my Nike Sasquach Yellow/Black Staff Bag:
Driver: SQ Dymo 10.5 Stiff
Fairway: SQ Dymo 3W Stiff
Hybrid: R9 19º
Irons: R9 StiffWedges: CG15 Black Pearl 50º/54º/60ºPutter: G5i CustomBall: One Vapor / TP Red

I have a ben hogan apex cart bag, it works quite well to hold my shoes/jacket and any other stuff i might need comfortably. My dad has a titelist staff bag and I was surprised at how light it actually was, its a lot bigger than my bag but still works well and I feel it is lighter than my cart bag. Both have no problems standing upright although walking 18 with my bag is a bit of a pain (it was a gift though), perhaps a backpack shoulder strap thing would work better. Gluck with either though both wouldn't be a bad choice and don't worry about what people think, its what you enjoy.

4DX Evolver 10.5 Stiff UST V2
Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 3wood
mp-32 3-pw tt x100's
xtour 56/52deg
feel golf 60 deg lob wedge dual force rossie blade I golf balls

If it fit better on my cart, I would definitely use a staff bag. I need my space.
However, I wouldn't put my name or anything on the bag.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Just go for whatever bag you like!!. I used to have an old, ugly maroon Callaway stand bag, and decided to switch for a brand new 2.009 Cobra staff bag, which is really, really cool looking and I´m really happy with it. It is a little bit on the heavy side for the caddies, but since you use a cart most of the time it won´t be a problem.

In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5º Regular
Irons: 4-SW Taylor Made Burner, Regular Graphite
Wedges: 60°-08 Titleist Vokey

Fairway Wood: 16º 3W Taylor Made R9 Stiff

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 19° Regular

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

every person I have ever seen with a tour bag was a player until last week when a guy comes out on the range with a tour bag and blades. He was horrible and got so mad he stopped after about 20 balls. It doesn't bother me but if you have a tour bag right or wrong people will expect you to have some game.

Driver - FT-iQ
4 Wood - G10
Irons - MX-200
Wedges - 52,56,60
Putter - Bettinardi Ball - ProV1Bag - HooferMy Course - Magnolia Creek Golf Links

Note: This thread is 5157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!