IGNORED

Staff Bags vs. Cart Bags

Note: This thread is 4209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok gents I need some help here. I have been playing cart bags for quite sometime now. We always ride and I enjoy the extra space in the bag. However I really like the new Adidas Staff bag because I play Taylormade and usually wear Adidas apperal as well as Adidas shoes. I understand I am not a tour player nor have a caddie. Are staff bags frowned upon for average golfers? I think If i saw a hacker out there with his name and city on his huge leather staff bag I might have a laugh myself. What do you think?

I don't see an issue with using a Tour Bag. I was recently looking at getting one but opted for the Titleist RC10 (UK Only) and once it is on the trolley it actually looks like a tour bag. If you want one go for it but they aren't the best shape for a a cart, you will always have pockets that you can't reach.

Not that it really matters, but I am a firm believer that Staff bags should be primarily used by golf pros or playing professionals.

To me, it just doesn't look right when someone shows up with a staff bag and shoots 90

I'd guess that you would get some attention initially, with guys thinking you were a pro or something. When you make your first swing, the attention would probably fade away fast. You might expect to hear a few under-the-breath comments, too. But to each his own.

A bag is a bag is a bag. If you like the staff bag, go for it. I rarely use someone's bag to determine how good of a golfer I think they are or should be.

+1...it don't matter if you have your clubs in a brand new staff bag or a bag from 1926, whatever you like go for it... hell I got a tube sock with 2 red stripes on it for a headcover on my driver

+1...it don't matter if you have your clubs in a brand new staff bag or a bag from 1926, whatever you like go for it... hell I got a tube sock with 2 red stripes on it for a headcover on my driver

you just made me laugh outloud i saw a guy at the range that had an old ram staff bag like the one tom watson used to use

Cool, I use an old sock as a putter cover because I got tired of it getting chipped by my irons. Have to replace it every now and then because the large mallet head stretches it out. I usually use a non-attention-grabbing black sock, though.

I don't quite understand the comments about golf bag having any connection with skill. Get one you can carry/cart comfortably and which holds your clubs and gear the way you like. It reminds me of the endless threads about jeans and iron covers....

I don't quite understand the comments about golf bag having any connection with skill.

The comments stem from the fact that majority of the people who have/use a staff bag, also have their name on that bag. I admit, when I see someone with a staff bag, I expect them to be a decent golfer but really, to each their own. I personally don't see the need for a huge staff bag because I can fit everything I need comfortably into my ping stand bag. But again, if you carry enough stuff to fill it, go for it.

Golfers love to criticize other people to take attention off their own shitty performance. Any golfer who criticizes another player's choices isn't a golfer I'd like in my foursome. Screw them if they critique your bag choice. Get what you want.
  • Upvote 1

If the question is asked, then it should be fair to offer an honest opinion. To many, a staff bag projects a certain image (right or not); however, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what bag you use so long as you have fun playing the game with friends.

This thread reminded me of something I saw at the course this past Sunday. As we were getting ready to tee off on 10 after the turn, I saw some guy with a "Ben Hogan Rental" bag trying to put his bag on the cart. I knew it was a rental because "Ben Hogan Club Rental" was stamped in white lettering on the side of the dark blue & red bag.......Anyway, this joker was trying to fit the bag onto the back of the cart. He was, no joke, lifting the bag up in the air and trying to slide it down into the strap on the back of the cart.......I guess he didn't know that you can unhook the strap and just place your bag on the cart. It took him several minutes to accomplish the task, but he did get it on the cart.

I am one of the ones who shoots in the 80's that does have a staff bag. I think my bag is a great looking bag. It doesn't fall over on the range like my old cart bag used to, I can put an extra pair of shoes in the front locker compartment, it holds everything I need it to hold, fits on the cart nicely, and just looks nice. I'm not one to judge on the golf course, but just like Aceboympk said:

Golfers love to criticize other people to take attention off their own shitty performance. Any golfer who criticizes another player's choices isn't a golfer I'd like in my foursome. Screw them if they critique your bag choice. Get what you want.

I couldn't agree more!! To each is own, but if you want a staff bag because you like the way it looks or want to spend the money, then do it, who cares what other people think or what you score, there isn't a place at the checkout line that makes you input your handicap to determine if you can buy certain gear!

• Upvote 1

I have a ben hogan apex cart bag, it works quite well to hold my shoes/jacket and any other stuff i might need comfortably. My dad has a titelist staff bag and I was surprised at how light it actually was, its a lot bigger than my bag but still works well and I feel it is lighter than my cart bag. Both have no problems standing upright although walking 18 with my bag is a bit of a pain (it was a gift though), perhaps a backpack shoulder strap thing would work better. Gluck with either though both wouldn't be a bad choice and don't worry about what people think, its what you enjoy.

Just go for whatever bag you like!!. I used to have an old, ugly maroon Callaway stand bag, and decided to switch for a brand new 2.009 Cobra staff bag, which is really, really cool looking and I´m really happy with it. It is a little bit on the heavy side for the caddies, but since you use a cart most of the time it won´t be a problem.

every person I have ever seen with a tour bag was a player until last week when a guy comes out on the range with a tour bag and blades. He was horrible and got so mad he stopped after about 20 balls. It doesn't bother me but if you have a tour bag right or wrong people will expect you to have some game.

Note: This thread is 4209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!