IGNORED

Anyone kicking themselves for not signing up for "Win with Phil" at Golfsmith?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

back to back eagles.... should of signed up haha

was just thinking the same thing!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Well, if it helps you feel any better, somewhere there's an insurance executive who approved the policy that will cover Golfsmith's expenses if Mickelson wins. I'm sure he's kicking himself a lot harder than anyone who didn't enter...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I am know that he won.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm now sorta kicking myself for not buying the driver instead of going by mail, having just read that the delivery will be in 12-16 weeks. I want it NOW NOW NOW!

In the bag:

Well at least you signed up... I'm kicking myself for not doing it at all.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

Yeah, my wife just reminded me and I totally forgot I even posted this thread. Next year I'll just be buying it on the Wednesday before, not touching it, and returning it if whoever doesn't win.

That being said, I dont' even know how they are going to meet the demand for it. I would bet that they probably had as many entries as Callaway sells drivers in a year or two. I bet they might just offer up store credit at some point.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Yeah, my wife just reminded me and I totally forgot I even posted this thread. Next year I'll just be buying it on the Wednesday before, not touching it, and returning it if whoever doesn't win.

I doubt that. They wouldn't make the offer with the #2 golfer in the world if they didn't think they could fulfill the obligation.

In the bag:
Driver: `09 Launcher (10.5º) w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff
3 Wood: `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff shaft
3 Hybrid (20.5º): `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff Shaft
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

I'm now sorta kicking myself for not buying the driver instead of going by mail, having just read that the delivery will be in 12-16 weeks. I want it NOW NOW NOW!

I'm with you on this one, now we have to wait! haha I've been thinking about it and I honestly don't think it can cost them that much to actually manufacture the club so I doubt they'll be losing out on much. Plus it may create some new Callaway loyals! I know I'll be looking at Callaway golf balls next time I need some (Granted they'll be used from lostgolfballs.com lol).

In my Walter Hagen T3 Stand bag:
FT-iZ 10° Driver
Walter Hagen T3 3-Wood
FYbrid 18° 5-Wood
Walter Hagen T3 i3, i4 & i5 HybridsWalter Hagen T3 6-PW IronsWalter Hagen T3 SWWalter Hagen T3 "Alignment" Putter

Based on the information listed here , neither Callaway nor Golfsmith are at financial risk for anything due to the insurance investment they purchased in case Phil did end up winning.

Lots of great information and explanation also by visiting here .
In the bag:
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

Yeah, for sure Callaway and Golfsmith were not at risk of losing anything more once they purchased the insurance - all costs are sunk. Reading that first link, I can't believe only 15,000 people participated, but I guess since you had to go into a store, that probably cut the participation by 90%. if it's only 15,000 drivers, it's not an issue - I thought it would be 100-200K at least.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Re: Insurance, yeah, a furniture store (IIRC) down here did a promotion a couple years ago that if UCLA beat USC (I think), then anything you bought the weekend before the big game would be free. There was a big upset, and they got a HUGE amount of news coverage. The owner was happy and wouldn't say much else, but did mention that insurance was covering his costs so they wouldn't be going out of business.

I thought it was an odd choice to go from a long shot like Garcia to someone who's probably got more like a 1 in 10 chance any given year, but my wife figured that they'll get a lot more attention by backing the winner or a near-runner up than someone who barely makes the cut. I think it's a good move. Especially when you have to either buy the product or show up in the store. I couldn't walk in to the store and ask for the form without testing a few clubs and the like, and wound up buying a spike wrench while I was there. That's $12 in sales that they wouldn't have gotten without the promotion since I'd likely have bought it somewhere else had I not been passing through.

Cost-wise, if it's 15,000 clubs, that's probably a few hundred $k in actual manufactured goods costs, though since this was "not sponsored by Callaway" (per the instructions) it may cost Golfsmith's insurer more than that, depending on how much of their usual wholesale price Callaway is charging them. Figure 1 in 10ish odds for Mickelson (probably better than his actual odds by a bit), and that's like $100,000 to $500,000 expected average costs going in, which is a pretty good deal for a company the size of Golfsmith. The insurer lost this time, but insurers are like the house in Vegas. They'll get you next time...

In the bag:

Ok, so say you do get a driver. What are they sending you? One of their super game improvement deals with the mega-closed face? What good is that? Because of the super saturated market for that now, your club has virtually little trade value and you won't get much out of it on ebay either. OK, so you'll get something. Better than nothing? eh, not worth the trouble.

Ok, so say you do get a driver. What are they sending you? One of their super game improvement deals with the mega-closed face? What good is that? Because of the super saturated market for that now, your club has virtually little trade value and you won't get much out of it on ebay either. OK, so you'll get something. Better than nothing? eh, not worth the trouble.

No, you got to choose between (all Callaway obviously) a Diablo Edge, FT-iZ, FT-iZ Tour, or Lady Diablo/FT-iZ (don't recall which one for women). Then, you chose the degree and shaft flex. This was the same whether you purchased or did the NPN option.

And the great part is that the only 'trouble' involved for me (NPN) was heading over to a Golfsmith store and picking up the entry form. Took me 10 minutes to fill out and put in the mail. Definitely worth a $400 driver to me.
In the bag:

I wish I knew about it - those were great odds for a great prize for only the cost of a stamp.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I live in Virginia so no Golfsmith here. I definitely would have done it had it been something like an online sign up. I'll take anyone's who doesn't want it though, hint hint. Haha

Driver: FT Tour 9.5
Fairway woods: X-Fairway 3 and 5
Irons: : X-Forged '09 3-PW in Carolina Blue, Oklahoma Orange, and Wake Forest Green grips.
Wedges: X-Forged '09 54-14 and Vokey Spin-Milled 60-7
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #8

Preferred Ball: Z-star Tour Yellow

In the Pockets: Ball, Ecotee, Switchblade Divot Repair tool, Pencil w/ Eraser.

BUmmer. I wish I had heard this. But then again, it was a gamble considering Tiger was coming back, and Phil wasnt doing so well before the Masters.

how was it a gamble? It was free to sign up

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Note: This thread is 5111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!