IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Some Observations from my Orlando, FL golf trip

First, rain sucks! I shot my best round on the day we played individual w/ handicap. Only 4 of us decided to play after an hour rain delay that forced a few guys to have to leave to go to the airport to catch their flights. I had a very good chance to bank $50 dollars.

On the Golf Swing. SLOW DOWN THE SWING should be my mantra for eternity. I think I was swinging 120% and thought I was swinging 90%. My best golf swings were when I thought 60% swing. When I made that my swing thought I shot a 77 on the final day. That was with going +5 on two par 3's because my SV3 skills suck. Though compacted wet sand is evil.

Still need to work on the back swing stuff. Will get out to the range this weekend to shoot a new video of my swing as it is now and practicing.

Putting was good. I just have to remember to keep my arms relaxed and not get the hands to high. I need to work on my start lines.

Short Game was horrendous. Still way to steep. I got scared on any sort of tight lie, especially soggy lies. I just hit them thin or very heavy.

Driving, still needs work. The 60% helped me keep the ball in play. Shockingly my big miss was a big push cut right. Timing was a bit off on a few of the swings.

Had a great time in Orlando, FL. I was disappointed with the greens. Some of the courses they looked burnt out or some sort of fungus or something got them. One of the courses they greens were just eaten away, very patchy with big splotches of areas of were they were reseeding the greens. A couple of other courses had a few areas along the edges that looks in similar condition. A couple of courses aerated their greens. My dad never remembered the courses ever aerating their greens in April. He's been going to Orlando to play golf for over 20 years.

On that note, calling @David in FL hit the area causing the courses to have to replace or try to save the greens? On a few courses it looks like they replaced whole fairway. The transition from the rough to the fairway looked like a cut line were new sod was replaced. Is it common for courses in the Orlando area aerate their greens this time of year?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some Observations from my Orlando, FL golf trip

First, rain sucks! I shot my best round on the day we played individual w/ handicap. Only 4 of us decided to play after an hour rain delay that forced a few guys to have to leave to go to the airport to catch their flights. I had a very good chance to bank $50 dollars.

On the Golf Swing. SLOW DOWN THE SWING should be my mantra for eternity. I think I was swinging 120% and thought I was swinging 90%. My best golf swings were when I thought 60% swing. When I made that my swing thought I shot a 77 on the final day. That was with going +5 on two par 3's because my SV3 skills suck. Though compacted wet sand is evil.

Still need to work on the back swing stuff. Will get out to the range this weekend to shoot a new video of my swing as it is now and practicing.

Putting was good. I just have to remember to keep my arms relaxed and not get the hands to high. I need to work on my start lines.

Short Game was horrendous. Still way to steep. I got scared on any sort of tight lie, especially soggy lies. I just hit them thin or very heavy.

Driving, still needs work. The 60% helped me keep the ball in play. Shockingly my big miss was a big push cut right. Timing was a bit off on a few of the swings.

Had a great time in Orlando, FL. I was disappointed with the greens. Some of the courses they looked burnt out or some sort of fungus or something got them. One of the courses they greens were just eaten away, very patchy with big splotches of areas of were they were reseeding the greens. A couple of other courses had a few areas along the edges that looks in similar condition. A couple of courses aerated their greens. My dad never remembered the courses ever aerating their greens in April. He's been going to Orlando to play golf for over 20 years.

On that note, calling @David in FL, did something hit the area causing the courses to have to replace or try to save the greens? On a few courses it looks like they replaced whole fairway. The transition from the rough to the fairway looked like a cut line were new sod was replaced. Is it common for courses in the Orlando area aerate their greens this time of year?

Matt, which courses did you play if you don't mind my asking.

Vishal S.

Matt, which courses did you play if you don't mind my asking.

1) Providence, which had the worst greens. They were all crumbly and patchy. Usually it is a good course to start out. Not to hard to play. Greens are usually in good shape.

2) Celebration, a great course. Target golf, most would hardly ever pull driver out.

3) Southern Dunes, probably one of the best values down there. Usually $60-70 for a great course that is always in amazing shape. Little water comes into play, LOTS of bunkers.

4) Orange County, Panther. Their greens were lightning faster and the layout is fun

5) Falcon's Fire. I would say similar to Celebration but with less water and you can hit driver more often. A really fun course.

If I had to rate my favorites.

Tied 1st) Celebration & Southern Dunes

3rd) Orange County

4th) Falcon's Fire

5th) Providence

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Thanks, Sounds like a nice full trip.

Planning one to Orlando/Tampa with my boys here in Nov. BTW, somebody mentioned a 'soft' swing instead of a 'slow' swing last night while watching re-telecast of Zurich. Don't know why but that really struck a chord.

Vishal S.

Some Observations from my Orlando, FL golf trip First, rain sucks! I shot my best round on the day we played individual w/ handicap. Only 4 of us decided to play after an hour rain delay that forced a few guys to have to leave to go to the airport to catch their flights. I had a very good chance to bank $50 dollars. On the Golf Swing. SLOW DOWN THE SWING should be my mantra for eternity. I think I was swinging 120% and thought I was swinging 90%. My best golf swings were when I thought 60% swing. When I made that my swing thought I shot a 77 on the final day. That was with going +5 on two par 3's because my SV3 skills suck. Though compacted wet sand is evil.  Still need to work on the back swing stuff. Will get out to the range this weekend to shoot a new video of my swing as it is now and practicing.  Putting was good. I just have to remember to keep my arms relaxed and not get the hands to high. I need to work on my start lines.  Short Game was horrendous. Still way to steep. I got scared on any sort of tight lie, especially soggy lies. I just hit them thin or very heavy.  Driving, still needs work. The 60% helped me keep the ball in play. Shockingly my big miss was a big push cut right. Timing was a bit off on a few of the swings.  Had a great time in Orlando, FL. I was disappointed with the greens. Some of the courses they looked burnt out or some sort of fungus or something got them. One of the courses they greens were just eaten away, very patchy with big splotches of areas of were they were reseeding the greens. A couple of other courses had a few areas along the edges that looks in similar condition. A couple of courses aerated their greens. My dad never remembered the courses ever aerating their greens in April. He's been going to Orlando to play golf for over 20 years.  On that note, calling @David in FL , did something hit the area causing the courses to have to replace or try to save the greens? On a few courses it looks like they replaced whole fairway. The transition from the rough to the fairway looked like a cut line were new sod was replaced. Is it common for courses in the Orlando area aerate their greens this time of year?

Not really. A little dry this winter, but nothing that should have caused the issues you describe. Which courses were a problem? If I had to guess I would guess Falcons Fire and Providence, as they both struggle at times. OCN and Celebration tend to maintain pretty consistently good conditions. Most courses are just starting to aerate now for spring.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not really. A little dry this winter, but nothing that should have caused the issues you describe. Which courses were a problem? If I had to guess I would guess Falcons Fire and Providence, as they both struggle at times. OCN and Celebration tend to maintain pretty consistently good conditions. Most courses are just starting to aerate now for spring.

Has that area always started to aerate this week? Two years ago none of them were aerated or do they try to gauge it on the weather?

Scale of 1 - 10

Providence = 0, I am thinking they should just shut down the greens. Some parts there is just seeding and sand and no grass at all. A lot of the grass is in bad form because the Aerated as well.

Falcon's Fire = 5, most of the greens had good spots. Some had some shady spots. Reminded me a lot of grass that was burnt out because of poor watering or not enough water with cutting them to low. Still some areas were just blotchy.

Southern Dunes = 8, usually have perfect greens. Some areas along the edges were that beat up look.

Celebration and OCN were in good condition OCN had the small aeration and were sandy so it was hard to tell. In some spots you could see a few areas that had the same issues.

What looked strange was in some areas it looked like they replaced the sod around a bunker. The grass wasn't consistent looking at all, like they just installed new sod in a large area.

I was just curious because it was just so different then what we had two years ago. I could see one course, but it looked like something happened at multiple courses.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Aeration varies from course to course and season to season. Some will do big holes, some small, some will verticut. Some will go a few weeks earlier or later. I've just never found that you can set your watch (or calendar) by any course's schedule. The good news is that we have so many options, that we can usually work around the varying schedules.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Video practicing. I should probably go a bit slower with the drill. Though I do like the backswing piece. I really am starting to feel the difference when the club shaft shallows in the downswing. :whistle:

A video of my full swing 7 iron. Trying to feel more up with the hands rather than around. Could go a bit shorter.

Full swing face on view. Camera angle is a tad off.

video of my pitching. Don't like how I am pitching the ball right now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played today, played good for 6 holes, played bad for 3. A lot of SV3 badness.

I did have a sort of breakthrough. I was standing over an iron shot and as soon as I took the club back I knew the shot would be a hook. Just knew I took the clubhead to inside. Practice is working out a bit more now. I am starting to feel the difference in swing paths from where I was and where I want to go.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

The full swings above are better. Not a lot, but you know that. The practice is better. Note the left arm depth even in your practice swing just from the little pump you give it. Too deep.

The pitching looks better than you give yourself credit for. Minimize some of the turning on the backswing (torso, hips a little) and make it a bit more about the arms, but otherwise, good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Shot a +7, 43 tonight. I got off the tee decent. Some shots were really bad because I decided to think about my swing. Stupid me. I almost out right wiffed on a ball. I pulled one about 50 yards left and that was hitting the ball on the heel of the driver.

Last three holes I decided to not think and just turn with an easy tempo. Shockingly I hit the ball much better. Who would have thought. #facepalm.

Just couldn't hit a wedge from inside 100 yards. 1 bladed, 2 chunks, 1 caught a fluffy lie (high on clubface hit). A few short game shots got me as well. I'll be visiting the short game area again. These partial wedge shots are killing me. I can hit a green 170 yards away, uphill with a 7 iron but I can't hit a green 50 yards with a sandwedge. Something seriously wrong about that.

Keep on moving on.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Shot a +7, 43 tonight. I got off the tee decent. Some shots were really bad because I decided to think about my swing. Stupid me. I almost out right wiffed on a ball. I pulled one about 50 yards left and that was hitting the ball on the heel of the driver.

Last three holes I decided to not think and just turn with an easy tempo. Shockingly I hit the ball much better. Who would have thought. #facepalm.

Just couldn't hit a wedge from inside 100 yards. 1 bladed, 2 chunks, 1 caught a fluffy lie (high on clubface hit). A few short game shots got me as well. I'll be visiting the short game area again. These partial wedge shots are killing me. I can hit a green 170 yards away, uphill with a 7 iron but I can't hit a green 50 yards with a sandwedge. Something seriously wrong about that.

Keep on moving on.

Have you charted your yardages and figured out what your 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 swings are?

Is the ball too far back in your stance? Too far back and better players will tip back to try to hit it in the air a bit. I prefer it slightly forward to make sure, if anything, that I "move into" the ball a little.

But also, chart your yardages… :)

And yes, when you play golf, play golf . Save the practicing for the practice range. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I probably should check to make sure those yard ages are still good and to retrain myself. I'll double check the ball position, but it doesn't seem to far back.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A little reflection on my previous round.

Driver

+1: 3

0: 8

-1: 3

Holes I should not have taken driver out: 1

Long Game

+1: 2

0: 13

-1: 6 (ouch)

Short Game

+1: 1

0: 9

-1: 6

Taking out the water balls, and the OB, and the short game FUBAR, my potential score should have been around the low to mid 80's. Last year I was pretty good from 75-125 yards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Took some swing video with out going through any practicing first. So I just warmed up the swing then took some video.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Took some swing video with out going through any practicing first. So I just warmed up the swing then took some video.

And what issues are you having right now? Just list them here so they're handy. What contact issues? What flight issues?

And what issues are you having right now? Just list them here so they're handy. What contact issues? What flight issues?

I would say I hit the ball slightly thin 60%, 25% of the time I tend to hit it slightly worse thin with the rare full out skulled iron shot. 10% of the time I tend to hit the ball with good contact actually having the club strike the ground after the ball. 5% I hit a fat strike.

As for ball flight. I would say 10% are hooks, I might hit the rare pull draw with the irons, more so with the long irons. Most of my shots are straight to slight pushes because they are thin and do not curve much. The ball tends to fly lower because of the thin shots.

I hit mostly a pull or straight fade with the driver now, something like 90% pull/straight fade and 10% push draws. This actually is fine with me. I kinda like the pull to straight fade because it just means the swing path isn't severely inside that I am hitting big push draws with the ball forward enough to promote an upward strike.

I think flight-wise I would be ok if I could get rid of hitting everything thin.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the short game area today at the local Muni.

The first 30 minutes was just horrible. Mix of skulled and chunked wedges. I paced off 45 yards trying to get my backswing the distance marked on my club to hit that yardage and no go. I almost wiffed on a ball because I didn't want to thin the ball so I actually hit the top off the ball with the bounce of the wedge. :no:

After a few tries I decided I was tried of hitting fat shots. So I placed the ball offset my left foot and then dropped my right foot back so that I had to keep nearly all my weight on my front leg. Suddenly I am able to hit a lot of great wedge shot. I tried to move my right foot back and get into a normal stance and no go. I can't even hit 3/4 wedge shots from a normal stance.

A few commonalities from all those mishits. The wedge was traveling very steeply into the ball. I was hitting a ton of shots off the wedge. My clubface was clean except for this one spot about 1/4 to half an inch towards the toe were the ball was compressing grass into the grooves.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag