IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is just it. Furthermore, probably some of the guys making the claims really do hit it long. However the number of people who claim to be averaging upper 200s is just WAY too high to be true. With extremely high confidence we can say that most of these claims are bogus, it simply can't be true that that many people hit it that far. So either this forum is mostly made up of truly exceptional drivers, most of whom somehow have a swing that only works for their driver and a profoundly miserable short game since they're tour pro class drivers but sport near-hacker handicaps. While I'd believe that the average golf forum member is better than the average golfer, it's extremely hard to believe that the forum would somehow select these statistical anomalies. So the logical conclusion is that most people who claim 290 yard averages are probably incorrect.

Exactly. People who claim to hit the driver really far, yet can't play the rest of the game well are absolutely full of it. I know, because I used to be one. There was a time when I thought I hit the ball 300 yards on average. I just swung out of my shoes and killed it, but still sported a 30+ handicap. Of course, I realized later that I was only hitting it about 210. My ego had gotten the better of me, and forgot all the mishits and duffs. As you get better, you quickly learn the driver is the hardest club in the bag to hit pure. This is why better players often tee off with a fairway wood or long iron.

My drive off the First yesterday (Sunday) was, if I say so myself, a thing of beauty. It sailed, it hung, it ran and ran and I ended up with a 60-yard chip shot on a 435-yard hole.

If only the rest of the round had gone so well!

No, it isn't usual and I wasn't playing at home. I was playing at a course named Came Down, near Weymouth, in Dorset - 'The Home of the Ryder Cup', apparently. The wind was behind and the hole slopes precipitately towards the green from about 220 yards out.

Whatever the reason, I enjoyed it and it may be my longest drive ever! (so far...)

275-280

Beat THAT.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

all i have to say to all the 280+ yard drivers here is one thing, show us the swing or shut up. I've already posted mine, so it's only fair.

lol . . . . . .

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My drive off the First yesterday (Sunday) was, if I say so myself, a thing of beauty. It sailed, it hung, it ran and ran and I ended up with a 60-yard chip shot on a 435-yard hole.

That equates to a 375 yard drive....come on man...

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

With a 10.5° R flex stock shafted HiBore... Yeah, sure... Uh huh.

Yes...living in NM now and the ball goes farther by a good 5-8 yards on a drive. I actually went and tested a S2 Cobra 9.5 Stiff Shaft today and I was consistently around 278ish, which is why I posted a newer yardage earlier today. I forgot I had posted that 280-285 number. But even with the extra NM distance that number is still accurate.

I'm not sure how to prove it really, other than to get them to print it out from the launch monitor. And I've had friends who've seen it. I can get them to call you if you'd like.

In My Bag:

5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

Yes...living in NM now and the ball goes farther by a good 5-8 yards on a drive. I actually went and tested a S2 Cobra 9.5 Stiff Shaft today and I was consistently around 278ish, which is why I posted a newer yardage earlier today. I forgot I had posted that 280-285 number. But even with the extra NM distance that number is still accurate.

Film your swing and post it.

With a stock 10.5° driver and an OEM regular flex shaft, you're not going to be anywhere near 280 on average. Look, I drive it around 255-260 on average, 285 on a center hit, and I use an ultra low spin head with an X flex, high kick shaft. I swing the club around 110, and there's no chance in hell I could hit a stock 10.5° driver, even with a stiff flex shaft, anywhere near 280. I've hit off the rack drivers with "stiff" shafts, and I hit them a mile in the air, and about 245 yards on a center hit. They just spin way too much.

I've been wanting to do that for awhile actually. And just so you know my swing speed was clocked right at 100 MPH with the driver, and 95 MPH with the new 5-wood I bought today (see sig)

In My Bag:

Okay, then the yardage markers on my course must be off by a good 50 yards.

In My Bag:

I've been wanting to do that for awhile actually. And just so you know my swing speed was clocked right at 100 MPH with the driver, and 95 MPH with the new 5-wood I bought today (see sig)

100! Ok, now your pants are just

blazing . 100 mph of swing speed with a 10° driver will equal 245 yards. With a perfectly fit driver, it will yield 247 yards. Add the extra 20 or so yards for elevation, and you're now at 267 on a good hit. Somehow, though, you manage to violate the laws of physics and hit it 280, eh?

Yeah, you've got it all figured out man. I should call the course and tell them that it actually only measures 2,000 yards long.

Plus you've totally ignored the fact that I tested a stiff shaft 9.5 degree driver and averaged 277.5 yards. Explain that with your science.

I'm pretty sure you're just a jealous mofo.

In My Bag:

Yeah, you've got it all figured out man. I should call the course and tell them that it actually only measures 2,000 yards long.

the screen that you hit into was off? A lot of those are tuned so that you hit the ball farther than normal on them

there's a thing called smash factor (if you havn't seen us talking about it earlier)

A 100mph with a PERFECT smash factor of 1.50 (the pro's are around 1.48) will give a ballspeed of 150mph. Now lets take a pro, SS of 115 smash factor of 1.48 will give a ballspeed of 170mph. Pro's have everything tailored to their game so everything is optimized as well. So a average PGA pro with that ballspeed and a good launch angle averages 282 yards. you average 280 yards with a stock r flex shaft with any old type of launch angle? your average would be 225.6..............

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

These threads are ridiculous.

LOL...that's awesome.

Geez, i'd be scared to gps my average lately. I'm pretty sure the first number would be a 1.

i agree with jlh, these types of topics are rather pointless; there is no validity in this type of thread. The thread should instead be titled.. "how many 15-20 footers have you made in the last 10 rounds?"
in other words... DISTANCE MEANS NOTHING... ITS ALL ABOUT CHIPPING AND PUTTING!!!

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

i agree with jlh, these types of topics are rather pointless; there is no validity in this type of thread. The thread should instead be titled.. "how many 15-20 footers have you made in the last 10 rounds?"

distance does mean a lot.

I'd prefer to have a 7i into a green than a 3 wood....

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

distance does mean a lot.

i agree. my point is simply that in any case whether u drive it 220 or 320.. u still have to hit greens.. which granted is easier with a 7i than 3i.. but putts must be made regardless of how far one hits it. chipping and putting are the most important part of the game and people focus so much on things such as distance.. which mean little compared to making as many 10 footers as possible

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

i agree. my point is simply that in any case whether u drive it 220 or 320.. u still have to hit greens.. which granted is easier with a 7i than 3i.. but putts must be made regardless of how far one hits it. chipping and putting are the most important part of the game and people focus so much on things such as distance.. which mean little compared to making as many 10 footers as possible

I know a guy who plays off 8.

He hits the ball at least 300 yards, can drive 2 of the par 4's. I've seen him hit a 150 yards gap wedge. The game is so much easier when you can hit the ball far.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!