IGNORED

Hit a forged blade - wowzers

USA 79S
Note: This thread is 5130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My friend and I caught up to 2 fellas the other night and we decided to pair up for the last 4 holes. Really nice guys who make it more fun to play with strangers, not the opposite. As we're walking the course exit which crosses the back of the driving range, Golfer 1 proceeds to ask me to hit his driver, then irons. I think he had W/S FG51 or FG57 but it was dark and I didn't look too hard.

I don't follow.

You were on the course. You were hitting balls over the trees (backing the range) onto the driving range?!?! Of what relevance to this tale are the yardage markers on the driving range? The most telling thing in this yarn is that it was so dark you couldn't identify which iron you were using. You saw your ball fly out [over the trees] and land softly on the driving range - did you witness this through the screen?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

yeah I wouldn't expect to do it again tomorrow if we met up and let me hit his clubs. Perhaps the wind was in my favor, I dunno. Bottom line, it felt great of the face and was pretty cool feeling. The thing about trying to go buy blades is that I just started last fall, and while I might repeat a perfect swing once per round, I would likely be penalized all day for imperfect swings.

This. I think I realized a 5%-10% yardage gain with true blades but they were so unforgiving that I worked out to about the same average distance vs. my current forged cavity backs (which are fairly bladelike, all things considered). That said, if you play quite a bit and don't mind putting some work in, blades can be an outstanding (albeit a bit painful) way for a beginner to develop a good swing.

Maybe you can find a used set cheap just for giggles - I still use my MP-14s from time to time when I want to mix things up and I learned on my dad's old Wilson blades from the 70's!

[QUOTE=65withatriple;442346]

225-250 carry with a 6-iron is not possible. I don't even think Tiger woods when he rips into a 6-iron can get it that far. Unless your 6-6 and can really just demolish the ball. But i might be wrong. Well of course you live in Colorado springs, i don't know what elevation thats at, but you might gain some significant yardage.

your a +1.

he's a 34 handicapper slightly different. he said it went 225-250 yards. I can hit my driver 230 yards.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I can pull out my grandpa's McGreggor irons, you want to talk about some unforgiving monsters there ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't follow.

""As we're walking the course exit which crosses the back of the driving range, Golfer 1 proceeds to ask me to hit his driver, then irons.""

See, the thing about reading is you not only need to understand the definition of each word read, but also be able to comprehend the total thought that was written. So, cliff notes for my friend here: 1. The round was over 2. You must enter and exit the course from the range tee area 3. We were on the range tee area hitting into the range, just like everyone else who was there 4. The lights are right behind us and actually make the white ball contrast more clearly than during daytime. You're so stuck on proving me wrong that you're dumb enough to think I would hit from outside the range - into it and think that the markers mean something? Thats what is wrong with some people. Just because you have not done it, can't mean nobody can - especially ONCE . But hey - my good friend was present, 4 of us agreed upon the results, and you can either choose to accept or dismiss my post, but at least read it first and not just try to jump on me like you were there in the bushes playing paparazzi.

Swing - Mulligan - Repeat

""As we're walking the course exit which

Certainly would have made more sense if you would have said the course exit which

crosses the driving range tee area . I couldn't figure out what you meant either. Now it makes sense.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

My friend and I caught up to 2 fellas the other night and we decided to pair up for the last 4 holes. Really nice guys who make it more fun to play with strangers, not the opposite. As we're walking the

""As we're walking the course exit which crosses the back of the driving range, Golfer 1 proceeds to ask me to hit his driver, then irons.""

It seems that either the course exit does not actually cross the back of the range, where the trees are, or you accidentally omitted some details in the first telling. The herculean 6-iron was not struck from the exit, where the conversation happened. I guess you meant, "then we proceeded to the range to hit a few balls", but you didn't say that. I could read your first blurb 1000 times and the meaning is the same, since you didn't provide the proper subtext. Maybe the exact location of the course exit is not where you hit those clubs and is probably irrelevant - yet it seemed so important in the story. Maybe so you could mention clearing the trees twice? There's a local range where people routinely clear the back fence and trees with 5-woods - I can't use anything longer than a 3-iron there.

Is it possible to pure a Titlest ZM six iron out to 225 yards? I never really thought about it. I commented on the verbiage. I'll do my best on the reading part, if you promise to take an objective look at your writing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I got it. Sure I could have clarified some things more. The details were not what I wanted to pass on in my posting. I never realized we'd be here when I originally wrote the story. See I am learning something about the users of this site. I see that in order to tell a "I had a good day golfing" story I must include absolute details, maps and possibly video if it is to be believed/or taken seriously. See the simple point was I hit a club pretty far, much further than normal, and I thought that was cool if in fact it is attributed to the club which I had never in fact seen, held, or hit before... or again for that matter.

Sadly the low handicappers jumped all over me like some boy who cried wolf. Without knowing anything about me other than that I have a 34 handicap I was immediately dubbed a liar/storyteller. Well here's a reality check. I am in Colorado and have an elevation advantage, something I did not consider, since I am not native to here. I didn't check the wind, but perhaps it was in my favor? I shoot 17 over par, which is roughly a double bogey/hole average. I play 9 holes. That means 9 drives and 9 approach shots (par 3 not figured in). So the other 35-40 shots are pitching, chipping, and putting; all of which are shots which demand finesse, judgement, and technical skill - something a beginner may lack I'd say. So even if I COULD drive 350 yards with a driver (I can't), how is it so inconceivable that it still takes another 4-6 shots to get it up and down in the hole, especially when 2-3 are putts? I bet half of you +1 to +5 guys don't even remember what it was like to 3 putt after 3 bad pitches/chips...just playing in hopes to score that one par every now and then; to somehow justify all of the frustration. If you forgot those days, good for you, but don't always assume someone can't have one great thing happen once, just because they can't make 72 great consecutive shots like you.

I'm done with this post / peace

It seems that either the course exit does not actually cross the back of the range, where the trees are, or you accidentally omitted some details in the first telling. The herculean 6-iron was not struck from the exit, where the conversation happened. I guess you meant, "then we proceeded to the range to hit a few balls", but you didn't say that. I could read your first blurb 1000 times and the meaning is the same, since you didn't provide the proper subtext.

OK so imagine this. You walk out of pro-shop with golf clubs in hand. You are walking perpendicular to the building exit towards the first tee and the people are hitting range balls onto the range, which is to your immediate right. You are walking directly behind the hitting area just far enough to not get clubbed. You get to the first hole which works its way up the left side of range. The 9th hole finishes near the first hole, and you must exit the course opposite the way you entered. A fence separates course and range and there is only one option to enter/leave the course. So when I say as we left he offers for me to hit clubs, we are literally on the driving range tee area at that moment. Just some spur of the moment thing, does that make it more clear? The trees I speak of are at the opposite end of the range. There is a 250 marker for sure, and I can't remember if this range has the 275 marker or another I go to. We guessed the trees to be around 290-300 and there is no net. I am 100% certain someone will find a way to tell me that the trees are in fact not as far as I think despite never having been there., but hey - that's the beauty of you guys.

I got it. Sure I could have clarified some things more. The details were not what I wanted to pass on in my posting. I never realized we'd be here when I originally wrote the story. See I am learning something about the users of this site. I see that in order to tell a "I had a good day golfing" story I must include absolute details, maps and possibly video if it is to be believed/or taken seriously. See the simple point was I hit a club pretty far, much further than normal, and I thought that was cool if in fact it is attributed to the club which I had never in fact seen, held, or hit before... or again for that matter.

Because do you know how hard it is to hit a drive 300 yards?

you need a super fast swing speed and hit the driver dead centre. and are you saying that a beginner can hit 300 yard drives and 250 yard 6 irons?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

USA 79S - Just don't bother making a thread next time, you'll just get the same

Good advice. There will unfortunately always be those who doubt a 30+ handicapper can clear trees that are 300 yards out. C'est la vie.

Good advice. There will unfortunately always be those who doubt a 30+ handicapper can clear trees that are 300 yards out. C'est la vie.

To clear the treas he would need what? Atleast 20 more yards of carry? So we are talkin about the guy hitting a 12* club and getting 320+ yards of carry.

This cat is crazy.

Because do you know how hard it is to hit a drive 300 yards?

I have watched darn near every "instruction" video I can find on the web. I have been reading magazines and books like it's for my PhD. I play a lot of sports, and they come natural to me. I have great hand eye coordination. I would label myself stronger than average. While buying my driver and measuring for swing speed to select the right shaft I was swinging at 103-109 mph. I think it is fair to say that if even for a beginner it is possible for one swing that all of the things that beginner knows in his mind to do but has not yet developed the habit of execution can come together to make one great swing, and perfect contact and an amazing result. Maybe throw in some environmental assistance to sweeten the deal? I am not foolish enough to think that tomorrow given the chance I could do it again, but I would never say it would be impossible. To say impossible IS foolish.

For all to ponder... Maybe I should just change my HC to 2.5 and shower my signature with nothing but Titleist tour clubs and a shiny new Scotty Cameron putter. Tell you I play nothing but Pro v1 and that I won my local tournament last week (twice). I guess for all I know I am trying to defend myself to Johnny Mulligan who has selective memory when it gets time to write on the score card. Maybe YOU are the fraud. Maybe because you can't do it then YOU lack the ability to shoot in the 70's? Maybe you're the one that looks great in his favorite foursome - but get's his pants taken from him at the club tournament? You're right Ben - there is no reason to share positive moments here. It isn't worth it. There are some smart people with a wealth of advice that I'd like to learn something from to become better, and for those people I am glad I found the sand trap. I know I learned something from this thread.

I have watched darn near every "instruction" video I can find on the web. I have been reading magazines and books like it's for my PhD. I play a lot of sports, and they come natural to me. I have great hand eye coordination. I would label myself stronger than average. While buying my driver and measuring for swing speed to select the right shaft I was swinging at 103-109 mph. I think it is fair to say that if even for a beginner it is possible for one swing that all of the things that beginner knows in his mind to do but has not yet developed the habit of execution can come together to make one great swing, and perfect contact and an amazing result. Maybe throw in some environmental assistance to sweeten the deal? I am not foolish enough to think that tomorrow given the chance I could do it again, but I would never say it would be impossible. To say impossible IS foolish.

can you carry a driver 320 yards?

how many pro's carry the ball 320 yards? do you realize how insane a shot like that is. Fair enough, I'm foolish to think that a beginner with an inconsistent swing can hit a ball 320 yards.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I have watched darn near every "instruction" video I can find on the web. I have been reading magazines and books like it's for my PhD. I play a lot of sports, and they come natural to me. I have great hand eye coordination. I would label myself stronger than average. While buying my driver and measuring for swing speed to select the right shaft

You're really piling the bulls&%# on in buckets now. It is impossible, at least according to the laws of physics. I swing a driver over 110, and I can't hit it anywhere near 320 on the fly. I'm happy with 265 total, or maybe 280 on a great swing. Elevation will help you a little, but not much. A 250 yard 6 iron is nearly unheard of, maybe some long drivers with 135 mph swings hit a 6 that far, but unless this 6 was some magical stick, or it was delofted to about 15°, there's no way.

Handicap almost always coincides with ballstriking, not chipping and putting. Many high handicappers fantasize that they have the long game, but it's just their scrambling that keeps them at that 15 handicap. That's complete and utter BS. For that to be true, you'd have to have such good hand eye coordination and swing mechanics, that you were able to hit the ball dead center every time. However, then you say you can't chip and putt, which are entirely... hand eye coordination... and swing mechanics... makes sense... if you're insane... or stupid. Golfers tend to be very selective of what they remember, and it helps. I could pretend that if I could just get rid of the triple on a few holes, I too could be a tour pro, but that's a fantasy. It's the doing that's hard, and the doing with consistency that's harder. We all tend to remember our best moments, and forget our worst. It's a coping mechanism. We always see the ball fall a few markers further than it really lands, we imagine it flying over the trees, but it never really does. We really do believe we just hit it that far, but when you watch balls land in the distance, you have no idea how far they land, even with signs. Think how many times you thought the ball was right next to the hole, and it's 20 yards short. The best thing you can do in golf is to be honest with yourself.
You're right Ben - there is no reason to share positive moments here. It isn't worth it. There are some smart people with a wealth of advice that I'd like to learn something from to become better, and for those people I am glad I found the sand trap. I know I learned something from this thread.

You should have learned that you can't fool everyone all of the time. I would love to be able to say I could play with the tour pros, or tear apart Augusta from the tips, but it just ain't the truth, it's fantasy. The more I stay in touch with reality, and understand my limitations, the better I get. It's the reason I am always improving while most of my friends are stagnant, because they think they're better than they are, and I know better.

Well said Shanks. And I mean that. My only objection is that I do indeed struggle with the shots that are less than full swing, and it might take me two shots to hit green from 160 yards, but it takes me 4 from 75. Pisses me off because I drive similar distance as my friend when I hit well, but he's on in 2 and I am on in 4 or 5. I think this is because I have not gotten the touch yet. Always scared to hit the PW over the green, and then I baby hit one 30 yards. Also, I would be curious to see you hit here in Colorado, I wonder if your yardage would improve from Florida?

Reality is, that last night I went out for 9 with that same friend, different course, on a 162 yard par 3 I hit MY Maxfli 6 Iron and it hit the green I think (fringe?) and rolled up and left. I was way left of right side pin placement and maybe 2 yds short of pin high and 2 feet into the 1st cut. I chipped and 2 putted for a 4 and was pretty happy with that. I was also 90 yards short of 250. I have hit that tee shot 3 times now with similar distance and with variable distances off center, and feel THAT is repeatable barring any mishits.

Kenny Perry adds 20% to his distances when playing at altitude. Many players figure 10% - I think it depends on angle, speed, and spin, so it would be different for each player.

265 yards adjusted back down to sea level would be 221 using the Kenny Perry math. If you delofted your club at impact and it played more like a 4 iron than a 6 iron and you really crushed the ball I think 221 might be possible.

Anyway, possible or not, or whether you did it or not...those aren't the issue. The issue is that while the blades are nice and a solid shot feels great, they aren't going to add significant distance for the same loft.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Note: This thread is 5130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!